Investigation of force factors and stresses at singular points of plate elements in special cranes
Keywords:boundary elements method, bending of isotropic thin plates, concentrated loads, singular points
AbstractThe work addresses studying the possibilities of a numerical-analytical variant of the boundary elements method (BEM) in determining the internal force factors and stresses at singular points when bending thin isotropic plates. The simplest type of singularity has been investigated, a point of application of external concentrated forces and moments. The importance of a given problem is due to the fact that at these points the internal force factors tend towards infinity and it is not possible to determine the size using elementary methods. At the same time, these singular points are the significant stress concentrators (both tangential and normal), which is why calculating the limits to which the internal forces and moments tend is essential to analyze the strength of plate structures. In order to describe an external load, it is proposed to apply the Dirac delta function of two variables. The models of external loads are presented. A given proposal makes it possible to accurately calculate the limits to which the transverse forces, as well as bending and torsional moments, tend at singular points of thin plates. We simulated plate bending using the variational Kantorovich-Vlasov method, which is fully compatible with the models of external load. The internal force factors at the singular points of plates were determined while solving the boundary value problems, formed based on the algorithm of BEM. The MATLAB environment was used for programming and computation. Results of the calculations are characterized by high accuracy and reliability, in particular the errors in determining the deflections of plates at singular points do not exceed 2.0 % and the errors for bending moments are not above 3.0 %. Recommendations have been given to solving different types of boundary problems on bending the plates with singular points based on the proposed approach. It has been established that an accurate model of the external load in the form of concentrated forces and moments fundamentally enables determining the internal forces and moments at the singular points of thin plates applying an algorithm of the variational Kantorovich-Vlasov method. Up to now, there are no data on the importance of internal forces and moments at the singular points of plates. It is also shown that when calculating the internal forces and moments of plates, it is inappropriate to apply a single term from a series of the Kantorovich-Vlasov method; the errors amount to significant magnitudes of the order of 43‒44 %
- Kozhushko, V. P. (2014). Raschet pryamougol'noy plastiny, dve smezhnye storony kotoroy zashchemleny, a dve drugie smezhnye storony sharnirno operty. Bulletin of the Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University Kharkov, 67, 119–123.
- Sih, G. C. (1991). Mechanics of Fracture Initiation and Propagation: Surface and volume energy density applied as failure criterion. Dordrecht: Springer, 410. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-3734-8
- Valle, J. M. M., Martínez-Jiménez, P. (2015). Modified Bolle - Reissner Theory of Plates Including Transverse Shear Deformations. Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures, 12 (2), 295–316. doi: https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78251275
- Gabbasov, R. F. Uvarova, N. B. (2012). Primenenie obobshennih uravneniy metoda konechnih raznostey k raschetu plit na uprugom osnovanii. Vesnik MGSU, 4, 102–107.
- Artyukhin, Yu. (2012). Approximate analytical method for studying deformations of spatial curvilinear bars. Uchenye zapiski Kazanskogo Universiteta. Physics and mathematics, 154, 97–111.
- Qiu, W.-L., Kao, C.-S., Kou, C.-H., Tsai, J.-L., Yang, G. (2010). Stability Analysis of Special-Shape Arch Bridge. Tamkang Journal of Science and Engineering, 13 (4), 365–373.
- Pettit, J. R., Walker, A. E., Lowe, M. J. S. (2015). Improved detection of rough defects for ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation inspections based on finite element modeling of elastic wave scattering. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 62 (10), 1797–1808. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/tuffc.2015.007140
- Langer, U., Schanz, M., Steinbach, O., Wendland, W. L. (Eds.) (2012). Fast Boundary Element Methods in Engineering and Industrial Applications. Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-25670-7
- Orobey, V., Kolomiets, L., Lymarenko, A. (2015). Boundary element method in problem of plate elements bending of engineering structures. Metallurgical and Mining Industry, 4, 295–302.
- Kolomiets, L., Orobey, V., Lymarenko, A. (2016). Method of boundary elements in problems of stability of plane bending of rectangular section beams. Metallurgical and Mining Industry, 3, 58–65.
- Orobey, V., Daschenko, O., Kolomiets, L., Lymarenko, O., Ovcharov, Y. (2017). Mathematical modeling of the stressed-deformed state of circular arches of specialized cranes. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (7 (89)), 4–10. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.109649
- Orobey, V., Daschenko, O., Kolomiets, L., Lymarenko, O. (2018). Stability of structural elements of special lifting mechanisms in the form of circular arches. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (7 (92)), 4–10. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.125490
- De Backer, H., Outtier, A., Van Bogaert, P. (2014). Buckling design of steel tied-arch bridges. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 103, 159–167. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.09.004
- Louise, C. N., Md Othuman, A. M., Ramli, M. (2012). Performance of lightweight thin-walled steel sections: theoretical and mathematical considerations. Advances in Applied Science Research, 3 (5), 2847–2859.
- Pi, Y.-L., Bradford, M. A. (2013). In-plane stability of preloaded shallow arches against dynamic snap-through accounting for rotational end restraints. Engineering Structures, 56, 1496–1510. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.07.020
- Becque, J., Lecce, M., Rasmussen, K. J. R. (2008). The direct strength method for stainless steel compression members. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64 (11), 1231–1238. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.07.007
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Leonid Kolomiets, Viktor Orobey, Oleksandr Daschenko, Oleksandr Lymarenko, Yuri Ovcharov, Ruslan Lobus
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.