Influence on the thermophysical properties of nanocomposites of the duration of mixing of components in the polymer melt
Keywords:polymer nanocomposites, carbon nanotubes, polypropylene, thermal conductivity of nanocomposites, heat capacity of nanocomposites, density of nanocomposites
A set of experimental studies has been carried out to establish the effect of the mixing time of components of nanocomposite materials on their thermal conductivity, specific heat, and density. The physical properties of polypropylene-carbon nanotube composites were to be studied. During the experiments, the duration of mixing of the components in the melt of the polymer varied from 5 to 52 minutes, the mass fraction of the filler ‒ in the range of 0.3...10 %, and nanocomposite temperature – from 290 K to 475 K.
It was found that an increase in the mixing time of components of nanocomposite materials could lead to a significant (more than 70 times) increase in their thermal conductivity. It is also shown that the influence of the specified time is limited to its value equal to 27 minutes, above which the change in the thermal conductivity of nanocomposites can be neglected. It was found that the sensitivity of the thermal conductivity of nanocomposites to the time of mixing of their components decreases with a decrease in the mass fraction of the filler.
Temperature dependences of the specific heat capacity of the studied composites were obtained by varying the mixing time of their components and the mass fraction of the filler. It was found that with an increase in the specified time, there is a decrease in the heat capacity of nanocomposites, which is significantly manifested only in the region of temperatures close to the melting point of the composite matrix.
It is shown that the dependence of the density of nanocomposites on the mixing time of their components in qualitative terms is similar to the corresponding dependence for their thermal conductivity. The obtained data can be used to choose the mixing time of components of nanocomposite materials in the development of appropriate technology for their production
- Kim, H. S., Bae, H. S., Yu, J., Kim, S. Y. (2016). Thermal conductivity of polymer composites with the geometrical characteristics of graphene nanoplatelets. Scientific Reports, 6 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/srep26825
- Oleiwi, J. K., Abass, B. (2018). Thermal Properties of Polymeric Composites Reinforced by Nanoceramic Materials. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, 8 (6), 517–524. doi: https://doi.org/10.24247/ijmperddec201855
- Arora, G., Pathak, H. (2019). Numerical study on the thermal behavior of polymer nano-composites. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1240 (1), 012050. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1240/1/012050
- Mohammad Nejad, S., Srivastava, R., Bellussi, F. M., Chávez Thielemann, H., Asinari, P., Fasano, M. (2021). Nanoscale thermal properties of carbon nanotubes/epoxy composites by atomistic simulations. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 159, 106588. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2020.106588
- Fialko, N. M., Dinzhos, R. V., Sherenkovskiy, Y. V., Meranova, N. O., Navrodskaya, R. A. (2017). Heat conductivity of polymeric micro- and nanocomposites based on polyethylene at various methods of their preparation. Industrial Heat Engineering, 39 (4), 21–26. doi: https://doi.org/10.31472/ihe.4.2017.03
- Anis, B., Fllah, H. E., Ismail, T., Fathallah, W. M., Khalil, A. S. G., Hemeda, O. M., Badr, Y. A. (2020). Preparation, characterization, and thermal conductivity of polyvinyl-formaldehyde/MWCNTs foam: A low cost heat sink substrate. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9 (3), 2934–2945. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2020.01.044
- Aslfattahi, N., Saidur, R., Che Sidik, N. A., Mohd Sabri, M. F., Zahir, M. H. (2020). Experimental Assessment of a Novel Eutectic Binary Molten Salt-based Hexagonal Boron Nitride Nanocomposite as a Promising PCM with Enhanced Specific Heat Capacity. Journal of Advanced Research in Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences, 68 (1), 73–85. doi: https://doi.org/10.37934/arfmts.68.1.7385
- Siddique, S., Smith, G. D., Yates, K., Mishra, A. K., Matthews, K., Csetenyi, L. J., Njuguna, J. (2019). Structural and thermal degradation behaviour of reclaimed clay nano-reinforced low-density polyethylene nanocomposites. Journal of Polymer Research, 26 (6). doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10965-019-1802-9
- Fialko, N., Dinzhos, R., Sherenkovskii, J., Meranova, N., Izvorska, D., Korzhyk, V. et. al. (2021). Establishing patterns in the effect of temperature regime when manufacturing nanocomposites on their heat-conducting properties. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (5 (112)), 21–26. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.236915
- Fialko, N., Dinzhos, R., Sherenkovskii, J., Meranova, N., Aloshko, S., Izvorska, D. et. al. (2021). Establishment of regularities of influence on the specific heat capacity and thermal diffusivity of polymer nanocomposites of a complex of defining parameters. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (12 (114)), 34–39. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.245274
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Nataliia Fialko, Roman Dinzhos, Julii Sherenkovskii, Nataliia Meranova, Viktor Prokopov, Vitalii Babak, Volodymyr Korzhyk, Diana Izvorska, Maxim Lazarenko, Volodymyr Makhrovskyi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.