Investigation of the interaction of sodium hypochlorite with olefins in cavitation fields
Keywords:sodium hypochlorite, olefins, waste water, ultrasonic radiation, cavitation, destruction, oxidation
The interaction of sodium hypochlorite as a component of wastewater production of caustic soda and chlorine compounds from olefinic C4-C7 number contained in wastewater olefinic production was investigated.
The processes of neutralization of sodium hypochlorite, which are implemented in the industry, are very energy-intensive or require large amounts of reagents. That is why it was suggested to intensify the interaction of sodium hypochlorite with olefins by using cavitation fields.
Based on the experimental results the main kinetic parameters of the process was calculated: the rate constant, order of reaction temperature coefficient. It is assumed that the process is carried out for a radical mechanism.
It was found out that as increasing temperature and power ultrasonic emitter rate constant of the reaction between sodium hypochlorite and olefins increases. In this case the duration of process and unit costs of energy for the decomposition of sodium hypochlorite was reduced.
The results will be used to develop energy-efficient process simultaneous neutralization of hypochloritic and olefinic wastewater generated in related industries.
- Znak, Z. O., Hnatyshyn, N. M. (2010). Intensification of thermal decomposition of sodium and calcium hypochlorite. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6/6 (48), 40–43. Available at: http://journals.uran.ua/eejet/article/view/3345/3146
- Zapolskyi, A. K., Mishkova-Klymenko, N. A., Astrelin, I. M., Bryk, M. T., Hvozdiak, P. I., Kniazkova, T. V. (2000). Fizyko-khimichni osnovy tekhnolohii ochyshchennia stichnykh vod. Kiev: Libra. 552.
- Frank, A. M. (2012). Disinfection with Liquid Sodium Hypochlorite: Principles, Methods, and Lessons Learned. Florida Water Resources Journal, 4–8.
- Lister, M. W. (2011). Decomposition of sodium hypochlorite; the catalyzed reaction. Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 34 (4), 479–488. doi: 10.1139/v56-069
- Church, J. A. (1994). Kinetics of the uncatalyzed and Cu(II)-catalyzed decomposition of sodium hypochlorite. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 33 (2), 239–245. doi: 10.1021/ie00026a010
- Kim, K.-W., Lee, E.-H., Chung, D.-Y., Moon, J.-K., Shin, H.-S., Kim, J.-S., Shin, D.-W. (2012). Manufacture characteristics of metal oxide–hydroxides for the catalytic decomposition of a sodium hypochlorite solution. Chemical Engineering Journal, 200-202, 52–58. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2012.06.026
- Moorhouse, J. (2001). Modern Chlor-Alkali Technology. Chichester: MPG Books ltd., 48. doi: 10.1002/9780470999479
- Bolton, J. R., Smith, D. W. (2007). Photolysis of aqueous free chlorine species (HOCl and OCl–) with 254 nm ultraviolet light. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science, 6 (3), 277–284. doi: 10.1139/s06-052
- Bikbulatov, I. H. (2000). Bezothodnoe proizvodstvo hlorgidrinov. Moscow: Himiya, 167.
- Kolesnikov, I. V. (1991). Ustoychivost realnyih rastvorov gipohlorita natriya. Him. prom., 6, 361–365.
- Kardashev, T. A. (1991). Fizicheskie metodyi intensifikatsii protsessov himicheskoy tehnologiі. Moscow: Himiya, 208.
- Roberts, Dzh., Kaserio, M. (1978). Osnovy organicheskoy himii. Vol. 2. Moscow: Mir, 888.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Зеновій Орестович Знак, Надія Михайлівна Гнатишин
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.