Predicting the risk of severe menopausal syndrome in perimenopausal women with hypothyroidism

Main Article Content

N.V. Pasechko
O.O. Chukur
A.O. Bob
A.S. Sverstiuk


Background. Every year the number of menopausal women increases. At this age, the prevalence of hypothyroidism (HT) reaches its peak. The problem of menopausal syndrome (MS) is relevant for patients with HT, concomitant endocrine disorders create a background for combination with dyshormonal factors. The purpose of the study: to propose an approach to predicting the risk of severe MS in perimenopausal women with HT according to the developed algorithm and mathematical model. Materials and methods. To predict the development of MS, 146 perimenopausal women with autoimmune HT were surveyed. ­Using multiple regression analysis, a prognostic model of the risk of severe MS was created. Results. Logistic regression analysis revealed the following most significant multicollinear risk factors for MS: smoking, alcohol consumption, adverse environmental conditions, physical activity, history of stress and anxiety, thyroid disease. A correlation matrix with calculation of regression coefficients and coefficient of determination was constructed, a mathematical model was created to determine the risk factor for the progression of MS. The predicted value of the risk factor for severe MS with a high degree of probability was determined in 72 (49.32 %) women, with an average probability — in 58 (39.73 %), and with a low probability — in 16 women (10.95 %) with HT. The correspondence of the predicted results with the theoretically expected ones in the high-risk group was recorded in 104.37 %, in the average-risk — in 94.73 %, and in the low-risk — in 89.65 % of cases. Conclusions. The developed algorithm and mathematical model for predicting severe MS on the background of HT are highly informative and allow determining in advance the group of women at high risk of severe MS for the timely implementation of appropriate preventive measures.

Article Details

How to Cite
Pasechko, N., O. Chukur, A. Bob, and A. Sverstiuk. “Predicting the Risk of Severe Menopausal Syndrome in Perimenopausal Women With Hypothyroidism”. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENDOCRINOLOGY (Ukraine), vol. 17, no. 3, June 2021, pp. 219-25, doi:10.22141/2224-0721.17.3.2021.232651.
Original Researches


Humeniuk E, Bojar I, Gujski M, Raczkiewicz D. Effect of symptoms of climacteric syndrome, depression and insomnia on self-rated work ability in peri- and post-menopausal women in non-manual employment. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2019 Dec 19;26(4):600-605. doi:10.26444/aaem/112838.

Geukes M, van Aalst MP, Robroek SJ, Laven JS, Oosterhof H. The impact of menopause on work ability in women with severe menopausal symptoms. Maturitas. 2016 Aug;90:3-8. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2016.05.001.

del Ghianda S, Tonacchera M, Vitti P. Thyroid and menopause. Climacteric. 2014 Jun;17(3):225-34. doi:10.3109/13697137.2013.838554.

Slopien R, Owecki M, Slopien A, Bala G, Meczekalski B. Climacteric symptoms are related to thyroid status in euthyroid menopausal women. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020 Jan;43(1):75-80. doi:10.1007/s40618-019-01078-7.

Uygur MM, Yoldemir T, Yavuz DG. Thyroid disease in the perimenopause and postmenopause period. Climacteric. 2018 Dec;21(6):542-548. doi:10.1080/13697137.2018.1514004.

Slopien R, Owecki M, Slopien A, Bala G, Meczekalski B. Climacteric symptoms are related to thyroid status in euthyroid menopausal women. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020 Jan;43(1):75-80. doi:10.1007/s40618-019-01078-7.

Panda S, Das A. Analyzing Thyroid Dysfunction in the Climacteric. J Midlife Health. 2018 Jul-Sep;9(3):113-116. doi:10.4103/jmh.JMH_21_18.

Thomas A, Daley AJ. Women's views about physical activity as a treatment for vasomotor menopausal symptoms: a qualitative study. BMC Womens Health. 2020 Sep 14;20(1):203. doi:10.1186/s12905-020-01063-w.

Shepherd-Banigan M, Goldstein KM, Coeytaux RR, et al. Improving vasomotor symptoms; psychological symptoms; and health-related quality of life in peri- or post-menopausal women through yoga: An umbrella systematic review and meta-analysis. Complement Ther Med. 2017 Oct;34:156-164. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2017.08.011.

Khandelwal S. Obesity in midlife: lifestyle and dietary strategies. Climacteric. 2020 Apr;23(2):140-147. doi:10.1080/13697137.2019.1660638.

Triebner K, Markevych I, Hustad S, et al. Residential surrounding greenspace and age at menopause: A 20-year European study (ECRHS). Environ Int. 2019 Nov;132:105088. doi:10.1016/j.envint.2019.105088.

Dalal D, Dahiya K, Malhotra V, et al. A Comparison of Reproductive Hormones and Biochemical Parameters in Hypothyroid and Euthyroid Postmenopausal Women. Clin Lab. 2020 Oct 1;66(10). doi:10.7754/Clin.Lab.2020.200243.

Maki PM, Kornstein SG, Joffe H, et al. Guidelines for the Evaluation and Treatment of Perimenopausal Depression: Summary and Recommendations. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2019 Feb;28(2):117-134. doi:10.1089/jwh.2018.27099.mensocrec.

Stute P, Spyropoulou A, Karageorgiou V, et al. Management of depressive symptoms in peri- and postmenopausal women: EMAS position statement. Maturitas. 2020 Jan;131:91-101. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2019.11.002.

Li RX, Ma M, Xiao XR, Xu Y, Chen XY, Li B. Perimenopausal syndrome and mood disorders in perimenopause: prevalence, severity, relationships, and risk factors. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Aug;95(32):e4466. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000004466.

Hyland A, Piazza K, Hovey KM, et al. Associations between lifetime tobacco exposure with infertility and age at natural menopause: the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Tob Control. 2016 Nov;25(6):706-714. doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052510.

Zhu D, Chung HF, Pandeya N, et al. Relationships between intensity, duration, cumulative dose, and timing of smoking with age at menopause: A pooled analysis of individual data from 17 observational studies. PLoS Med. 2018 Nov 27;15(11):e1002704. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1002704.

White A, Castle IJ, Chen CM, Shirley M, Roach D, Hingson R. Converging Patterns of Alcohol Use and Related Outcomes Among Females and Males in the United States, 2002 to 2012. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015 Sep;39(9):1712-26. doi:10.1111/acer.12815.

Grant BF, Chou SP, Saha TD, et al. Prevalence of 12-Month Alcohol Use, High-Risk Drinking, and DSM-IV Alcohol Use Disorder in the United States, 2001-2002 to 2012-2013: Results From the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Sep 1;74(9):911-923. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.2161.

Martel MM, Eisenlohr-Moul T, Roberts B. Interactive effects of ovarian steroid hormones on alcohol use and binge drinking across the menstrual cycle. J Abnorm Psychol. 2017 Nov;126(8):1104-1113. doi:10.1037/abn0000304.

Peltier MR, Verplaetse TL, Mineur YS, et al. Sex differences in stress-related alcohol use. Neurobiol Stress. 2019 Feb 8;10:100149. doi:10.1016/j.ynstr.2019.100149.