Eating Disorders as a Predictor of Obesity in Children
Main Article Content
The article analyzes the frequency of overweight and obesity in children in Chernivtsi region, studies eating disorders in obese children, presents the results of a multi-faceted survey on indicators in the subsystems «father — mother» and «parents — children».
Materials and methods. A total of 325 children aged 10 to 18 years old were examined. A control group consisted of 80 healthy children of the same age. Methods of examination included medical history, anthropometry (height, weight, calculating body mass index, waist circumference, and hip circumference), laboratory and instrumental methods of examination. It was conducted a survey to determine multidimensional indicators of subsystems «father — mother» and «parents — children». Types of eating disorders were examined by the Dutch eating behavior questionnaire (DEBQ).
Results. It is shown that overweight and obesity are more common among boys (60 %) of the age group 15–18 years old and girls (40 %) aged 12–15 years old. Obese adolescents significantly more frequently have eating disorders than their healthy peers. External type of eating behavior is mostly diagnosed. In most cases, there is a combination of several types (external, restrictive, emotion ones) of eating behavior. The eating disorders mostly occur in families with such features as an over protectors and stiffness (45.5 and 37.8 %, respectively).
Conclusion. The key to successful prevention of obesity in children is the formation of a healthy lifestyle, including long-term skills of proper eating behavior from the first years of life.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Aver'yanov A.P. Ozhyrenye u detey y podrostkov: klynyko-metabolycheskye osobennosty, lechenye, prohnoz y profylaktyka oslozhnenyy / A.P. Aver'yanov // Mizhnarodnyy endokrynolohichnyy zhurnal. — 2009. — # 4(22). — S. 90-98.
Buhrova S.A. Vystseral'noe ozhyrenye — klyuchevoe zveno metabolycheskoho syndroma / S.A. Buhrova // Mizhnarodnyy endokrynolohichnyy zhurnal. — 2009. — # 2(20). — S. 82-84.
Vakhmystrov A.V. Narushenyya pyshchevoho povedenyya pry tserebral'nom ozhyrenyy: Avtoref. dys. … kand. med. nauk/A.V. Vakhmystrov. – SPb., 2006. – 24 s.
Voznesenskaya T. H. Rasstroystva pyshchevoho povedenyya pry ozhyrenyy y ykh korrektsyya/ T. H. Voznesenskaya // Farmak, 2009. – # 12. – S 91-94.
Mendelevych V. D. Psykholohyya devyantnoho povedenyya: Ucheb.posob / V.D. Mendelevych. – M.: MEDpress, 2001.-234s.
Nakaz Ministerstva okhorony zdorov"ya Ukrayiny vid 27.04.06 # 254 v redaktsiyi nakazu MOZ Ukrayiny vid 03.02.2009 # 55 «Pro zatverdzhennya protokoliv likuvannya ditey z endokrynnymy zakhvoryuvannyamy» [Elektronnyy resurs]. – Rezhym dostupu do inf.: http://www.uazakon.com/big/text363/pg1.htm.
Pavlyshyn H. A. Epidemiolohichna sytuatsiya shchodo nadmirnoyi masy tila, ozhyrinnya ta arterial'noyi hipertenziyi u ditey m. Ternopolya / H. A. Pavlyshyn, K. V. Levandovs'ka // Visnyk naukovykh doslidzhen'. – 2012. – # 4 (69). – S. 117–119.
Problema ozhyrenyya v Evropeyskom rehyone Vsemyrnoy orhanyzatsyy zdravookhranenyya y stratehyy ee reshenyya // Liky Ukrayiny. – 2010. – # 7 (143). – S. 36–40.
Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults—the evidence report / National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute // Obesity Research 1998; 6; 2:51S-209.
IDF consensus definition of the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents /Alberti S, Zimmet P, Kaufman F [et al.]. – International Diabetes Federation 2007: 24.
Obesity and overweight / Fact sheet № 311. — Geneva: World Health Organization, 2006:3.
WHO obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. WHO Technical report Series number 894. Geneva: WHO, 2000.
Fyzyolohyya cheloveka: [uchebnaya lyteratura dlya studentov medytsynskykh vuzov]/ pod red. V. M. Pokrovskoho, H. F. Korot'ko. – [2-e yzd.]. – M.: Medytsyna, 2003. – 656 s.
Frэnkyn R. Motyvatsyya povedenyya: byolohycheskye, kohnytyvnыe y sotsyal'nыe aspektы / R. Frэnkyn. – SPb.: Pyter, 2003. – 651 s.