Influence of Orlistat on Efficacy of Complex Treatment in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity
Main Article Content
Background. Reasons of ineffective treatment of obesity in many cases are found not enough out. It is known also, that the use of numerous methods for body weight reducing arrive at the satisfactory stable results of treatment less than in 20 % cases. It grounds the necessity of further researches for the study of factors that influence on forming of obesity, the correction of that would result in proof control after body weight.
Objective of the study — to estimate influence of decline of body weight on metabolic parameters and secretory activity of fatty tissue in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus with obesity.
Materials and Methods. Under a supervision there were 57 patients. The patients of the first group (n = 38) received diet therapy and metformin. Patients of the second group (n = 19), additionally to the diet therapy and metformin, received orlistat (Xenical) in a dose on one capsule (120 mg) 2–3 times daily. Before and 6 months after treatment we conducted the anthropometric measuring, estimated the blood lipid spectrum, carbohydrate exchange, and also content of immunoreactive insulin, leptin, index of insulin resistance HOMA-IR.
Results. In the most examined persons (84.2 %) there was hyperinsulinemia that testifies to insulin resistance (index of НОМА-IR increased in all patients). Level of immunoreactive insulin is closely associated with the indexes of atherogenic profile of plasma. Hyperleptinemia was detected in 98.2 % patients. Application of orlistat resulted in the decline of index of insulin resistance on 43 % from baseline, while in patients of the first group (diet therapy and metformin) this index on the average on a group rose on 2 %.
Conclusions. On a background the additional administration of orlistat to the standard treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (diet therapy and metformin) we obtained weight loss on 4.67 % (that averages 5.17 ± 0.59 kg). Administration of orlistat is accompanied by reduction of leptin level on 6.8 %, immunoreactive insulin on 39 %, index of HOMA-IR on 43 % from initial values. On a background the improvement of diabetes mellitus compensation we observed the reduction of daily dose of metformin (in 16 % patients).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Whiting D.R. IDF diabetes atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030 / D.R. Whiting, L. Guariguata, C. Weil, J. Shaw // Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. — 2011. — Vol. 94, № 3. — P. 311-321.
Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic Report of a WHO Consultation Geneva, World Health Organization, 2004.
Chang Y. Abdominal obesity, systolic blood pressure, and microalbuminuria in normotensive and euglycemic Korean men / Y. Chang, T. Yoo, S. Ryu et al. // Int. J. Obes. (Lond). — 2006. — Vol. 30, № 5. — P. 800-804.
Hyman M.A. The failure of risk factor treatment for primary prevention of chronic disease / M.A. Hyman // Altern. Ther. Health Med. — 2010. — Vol. 16, № 3. — P. 60-63.
Лобынина Е.И., Хвостова О.И., Колтун В.З. Комплексный подход в коррекции избыточной массы тела и ожирения // Клин. медицина. — 2005. — № 3. — С. 66-68.