Prolonged subfebrile condition, pyretic fever and febrile attacks of unknown genesis: new approach to diagnosis and treatment. Part 1. Clinical picture
Keywords:prolonged subfebrile fever, febrile attack, fever of unknown genesis, nephrodysbacteriosis, chronic bacterial intoxication syndrome, bacterial autovaccines
Background. The study was aimed to establish the true etiological cause of such pathological conditions as prolonged low-grade fever, fever of unknown genesis, and cases of rapid short-term febrile increase of temperature of unknown origin. Materials and methods. The design of the study was clinical-diagnostic and included the search for ways to diagnose and treat such pathological conditions as prolonged subfebrile fever, fever of unknown genesis, and cases of rapid short-term febrile increase of temperature of unknown origin. The studies were prospective-retrospective and were longitudinal with long-term periodic follow-up of a certain part of the same patients during 1–10 years after diagnosis of CBIS (chronic bacterial intoxication syndrome) and appropriate treatment. According to the effectiveness of the obtained results, the study was direct, because it undoubtedly led to the recovery of the patient with the improvement of his/her state and life. All patients (infants and adults aged till 80 years) who went to the hospital during 2009–2020 with complaints about violation of the temperature regime (subfebrile or febrile increase). Results. During 2009–2020, 3999 patients (adults — 2047/3999, 51.2 %, children — 1952/3999, 48.8 %) with a fever of unknown origin, namely 1578/2047 (77.1 %) adults and 1206/1952 (61.8 %) children with prolonged subfebrile fever, 70/2047 (3.4 %) and 25/1952 (1.3 %), respectively — with febrile fever and 399/2047 (19.5 %) and 721/1952 (36.9 %) — with febrile attacks (FA), were observed by the authors. In all 3999 (100 %) patients, there was detected a focus of chronic bacterial infection in the kidneys. Herewith in more than 2/3 cases (2780/3999 patients, 69.5 %), there was diagnosed the locally asymptomatic nephrodysbacteriosis without clinical, general laboratory (including almost normal general analysis of urine) and instrumental signs of the inflammatory process in the kidneys. In 960/3999 (24.0 %) cases, there was first established the latent form of delayed clinically asymptomatic chronic pyelonephritis. 259/3999 (6.5 %) patients were diagnosed with chronic pyelonephritis at the stage of clinical exacerbation. As a consequence of the formation of a focus of chronic bacterial infection in the kidneys, the patients developed monosymptomatic (only with temperature increase) or full-symptom CBIS, namely: 2024/2784 (72.7 %) children and adults with prolonged subfebrile fever there presented with typical clinical manifestations of CBIS in various combinations, but in 760/2784 (27.3 %) cases, the subfebrile temperature was monosymptomatic without other complaints and clinical symptoms. The diagnosis was confirmed by bacteriological examination of warm urine (three times, for three days running) and toxicological blood examination using the diagnostic system Toxicon. Urine cultures of various bacteria were isolated from urine in all 3999 (100 %) patients. Herewith in 2205/3999 (55.1 %) cases, there were isolated one culture of bacteria in each case, in 1608/3999 (40.2 %) patients — simultaneously two cultures of different bacteria, i.e. another 3216 strains, in 186/3999 (4,7 %) — three cultures (558 strains). That is, in general, there were isolated 5979 strains of different bacteria, which were considered as diagnostic confirmation of the presence of a focus of chronic bacterial infection in the kidneys in all 3999 patients with prolonged subfebrile fever, fever of unknown genesis, or febrile attacks. The main factors of the occurrence of temperature regime disorders on the background of CBIS were Enterococci (2471/3999 strains from 61.8 % of patients), Escherichia coli — 1495/3999 strains (from 37.4 % of patients) and Staphylococci (Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus haemolyticus) and Streptococci (Streptococcus pyogenes): a total of 696/3999 strains (from 17.4 % of patients). In 818 (100 %) patients who were examined using the Toxicon system, all, without exception, the indicators of cytolytic activity of toxic proteomes, which were tested, significantly exceeded the norm (p < 0.001). In the vast majority of patients (in 664/818 or 81.17 % of cases), there was detected severe toxemia, in 140/818 (17.11 %) — moderate and only in 14 (1.71 %) — mild. All 3999 patients with prolonged subfebrile fever, fever of unknown genesis, and FA were treated with bacterial autovaccines made from strains, isolated during the bacteriological examination. One cycle consisted of 2–3 courses of immunization with bacterial vaccines. One course included 10 or 12 subcutaneous injections in increasing dosage during 19–21 days. Between courses, there was maintained an interval of 3 to 4 weeks. The treatment cycle generally lasted from 70 to 110 days, depending on the number of courses. Intervals between treatment cycles were usually maintained for 3 months. The effectiveness of such treatment was 71.2 % after the first cycle, 92.8 % — after the second, and 99.2 % — after the third with full recovery of the ability to work, lost during the illness, and the emotional level of personal life. Conclusions. It has been established that the etiological cause of the occurrence of prolonged subfebrile fever, febrile fevers of unknown genesis, and febrile attacks is such a clinically and nosologically separate disease as chronic bacterial intoxication syndrome, which develops on the background of a chronic bacterial focus, usually locally asymptomatic infection in the kidneys, called nephrodysbacteriosis, and is usually associated with severe bacterial endotoxicosis that was confirmed by appropriate toxicological examination of the blood. The use of bacterial autovaccines was proved to be an effective method of treatment (up to 99.2 %) of patients with increased temperature of bacterial-toxic origin.
Марков И.С. Клинико-эпидемиологическая характеристика иерсиниозов (по материалам Советской больницы г. Улан-Батора): Автореферат дис... д-ра мед. наук. Киев, 1990.
Свідоцтво про реєстрацію авторського права № 98661. Видане Державною службою інтелектуальної власності України 15.07.2020 р.
Марков И.С. Клинические дневники доктора Маркова. Киев: АртЭк, 2011. 360 с.
Markov Igor S., Markov Artem I. Chronic bacterial intoxication syndrome under the mask of CFS/ME (Reports 1-6 «Clinical Diagnosis»): 8th International Congress on Infectious Diseases (February 15–16, 2021, 8th Infection Congress, 2021, London, UK). Journal of Infectious Diseases & Preventive Medicine. 2021. Vol. 9. Conference Proceedings: https://www.longdom.org/proceedings/chronic-bacterial-intoxication-syndrome-under-the-mask-of-cfsme-59051.html (pdf./HTML, p. 32-116).
Проданчук М.Г., Шейман Б.С., Осадча О.І., Волошина Н.О. Спосіб діагностики етіологічного чинника токсемії. Патент України на винахід № 76227 G01N 33/48, A61B10/00; 17.07.2006, Бюл. № 7, 2006. С. 1-16.
Марков І.С., Шейман Б.С., Волошина Н.О., Марков А.І. Синдром хронічної бактеріальної інтоксикації. Повідомлення 8. Токсикологічний діагноз (Рукопис. 21 с.). https://cbis.vitacell.com.ua/.
Марков И.С. Клиника и лечение хронической Эпштейна — Барр вирусной инфекции. Репродуктивное здоровье женщины. 2002. № 1 (10). С. 102-111.
Марков И.С. Современная лабораторная диагностика TORCH-инфекций у женщин детородного возраста, беременных и детей. Сообщение 3. Лабораторная диагностика токсоплазмоза. Здоровье женщины. 2001. № 3 (7). С. 86-94.
Марков І.С., Марков А.І. Синдром хронічної бактеріальної інтоксикації. Повідомлення 7. Бактеріологічний діагноз (Рукопис. 14 с.). https://cbis.vitacell.com.ua/.
Марков И.С. Осторожно, антибиотики: оранжевый сигнал тревоги! Киев: АртЭк, 2011. 56 с.
Свідоцтво про реєстрацію авторського права № 98662. Видане Державною службою інтелектуальної власності України 15.07.2020 р.
Марков І.С., Марков А.І. Інактивована стафілококова рідка вакцина, спосіб її виготовлення і спосіб лікування та профілактики нею. Патент України на винахід UA № 121358 С2; 12.05.2020 р., Бюл. № 9, 2020. С. 1-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.