Options and benefits of electron therapy in the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer
Keywords:non-melanoma skin cancer, electron therapy, linear accelerator
AbstractThe problem of non-melanoma skin cancer rate is relevant in Ukraine, and in the structure of cancer incidence in 2015, it ranks first (10.3 %). The purpose of this work was to show modern options in the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer by electron therapy using different electron energies. Modern linear accelerators generate electrons of different energies — from 4 to 20 MeV, which allows a rapid dose fall-off at depth. The spatial dose distribution of radiation by electrons in tissues is characterized by a different depth of maximum dose depending on the energy selected — the higher the energy, the greater the depth at which the dose is maximum. The use of electron therapy in irradiation mode of 50 Gy for 10 fractions is effective in the treatment of various stages of non-melanoma skin cancer. Due to timely diagnosis and radical treatment, there is a complete regression of the tumor focus without visible cosmetic defects.
Perez C.A., Braddy L.M. Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology Philadelphia // J. B. Lippincott. — 1987. — Р. 102-105.
Beyzadeoglu M., Ebruli C. Basic Radiation Oncology. — 1998. — Р. 519-527.
Eric K. Hansen. Handbook of Evidence Based Radiation. — 1999. — Р. 3-13.
Білинський Б.Т., Стернюк Ю.М., Шпарик Я.В. Онкологія. — К., 2004. — С. 158-174.
Ковальський О.В., Мечев Д.С., Данилевич В.П. Радіологія. Променева терапія. Променева діагностика. — Вінниця, 2013. — С. 71-72.
Barrett А., Dobbs J., Roques T. Practical Radiotherapy Planning. — 2009. — Р. 71.
Copyright (c) 2019 Practical oncology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.