Some biological, behavioral and social aspects of the perfumery use in the Ukrainian population sample (part 1. age associations)
Keywords:Perfumery, Ukraine, perfumery selection factors, non-original perfumery products, perfume aging, gender orientation of perfumery, nthetic and natural fragrance ingredients
The aim. The study encompassed some aspects related to perfumes use, which can potentially influence the individual perfume choice, in particular, among different age groups of the Ukrainian population. Factors related to perfumes choice, the state of awareness of respondents regarding quality, safety, and existing stereotypes regarding the characteristics of perfumes and potential harmful effects on the human body were investigated.
Materials and methods. The analysis was performed on a sample of 124 residents of Ukraine. Respondents, who were randomly selected, were offered a questionnaire, developed by us, which included 15 items on the demographic characteristics of the subjects and questions related to the perfume use of and stereotypes about them. The Pearson chi-squared (χ2) test was used to analyze the relationships between qualitative characteristics.
Results and discussion. About 98 % of surveyed persons in Ukraine use perfumery. Associations were found between age and the probability of purchase by the study participants of non-original perfume products and awareness of the safety of various perfume products. It has been established, that the determining factors when choosing a perfume is a certain scent, while the brand is given secondary importance. An increase in the effect of the brand in older age groups of the population has been demonstrated. Behavioral features of perfume use have been established: in younger women, it is associated with increased self-esteem and the influence of social networks, with age, the focus shifts to the desire for a positive effect on the mood from the use of a certain fragrance. However, in all age groups, the main purpose of perfume using was to improve the emotional state. Middle-aged women are more democratic in choosing perfumery with a specific gender orientation.
Conclusions. For the first time in Ukraine, a pilot study was conducted to find possible associations between some biological, behavioral and demographic characteristics and the perfume use. Such factors as age and education level are promising for further analysis of the selected issues
- Vasiliauskaite, V., Evans, T. S. (2019). Social success of perfumes. PLOS ONE, 14 (7), e0218664. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0218664
- Herz, R. S.; Gottfried, J. (Ed.) (2011). Perfume. Neurobiology of Sensation and Reward. Boca Raton: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92802/
- Kliszcz, A., Danel, A., Puła, J., Barabasz-Krasny, B., Możdżeń, K. (2021). Fleeting Beauty – The World of Plant Fragrances and Their Application. Molecules, 26 (9), 2473. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26092473
- Kazakova, I., Lebedynets, V., Kovalenko, S., Kazakova, V. (2021). Research of the activities of the enterprises of the perfume and cosmetic industry of Ukraine. EUREKA: Health Sciences, 2, 44–55. doi: https://doi.org/10.21303/2504-5679.2021.001700
- Pacholczyk-Sienicka, B., Ciepielowski, G., Albrecht, Ł. (2021). The First Application of 1H NMR Spectroscopy for the Assessment of the Authenticity of Perfumes. Molecules, 26 (11), 3098. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26113098
- Hananeh, W., Ghbari, F., Rukibat, R., Zghoul, M., Ismail, Z. (2021). Effects of fake and original perfumes on the presence, numbers, and distribution of mast cells in selected tissues in rats. Open Veterinary Journal, 11 (2), 277–282. doi: https://doi.org/10.5455/ovj.2021.v11.i2.11
- Hager, E., Chen, J., Zhao, L. (2022). Minireview: Parabens Exposure and Breast Cancer. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19 (3), 1873. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19031873
- Fransway, A. F., Fransway, P. J., Belsito, D. V., Warshaw, E. M., Sasseville, D., Fowler, J. F. et al. (2019). Parabens. Dermatitis, 30 (1), 3–31. doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/der.0000000000000429
- Sindle, A., Martin, K. (2021). Art of Prevention: Essential Oils – Natural Products Not Necessarily Safe. International Journal of Women’s Dermatology, 7 (3), 304–308. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijwd.2020.10.013
- Alrasheed, M., Albalawi, O., Aljallal, M., Alqahtani, A. S. (2021). Prevalence and Risk Factors of Self-Reported Perfume Sensitivity in Saudi Arabia. Healthcare, 9 (10), 1248. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9101248
- Amerongen, C. C. A., Ofenloch, R. F., Cazzaniga, S., Elsner, P., Gonçalo, M., Naldi, L., Svensson, Å. et al. (2021). Skin exposure to scented products used in daily life and fragrance contact allergy in the European general population ‐ The EDEN Fragrance Study. Contact Dermatitis, 84 (6), 385–394. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/cod.13807
- Fisher, A. A., Dooms-Goossens, A. (1976). The effect of perfume “ageing” on the allergenicity of individual perfume ingredients. Contact Dermatitis, 2 (3), 155–159. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0536.1976.tb03016.x
- Blakeway, J. M., Frey, M. L., Lacroix, S., Salerno, M. S. (1987). Chemical reactions in perfume ageing. International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 9 (5), 203–214. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-2494.1987.tb00475.x
- Iseki, S., Motoki, K., Sakata, R., Kitagami, S. (2021). How Semantically Labeled Scent-Gender Associations Influence the Evaluations of Scent and Texture. Frontiers in Psychology, 12. doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.713329
- Hovis, N., Sheehe, P., White, T. (2021). Scent of a Woman – Or Man: Odors Influence Person Knowledge. Brain Sciences, 11 (7), 955. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci11070955
- Pinkas, A., Gonçalves, C. L., Aschner, M. (2017). Neurotoxicity of fragrance compounds: A review. Environmental Research, 158, 342–349. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2017.06.035
- Al-Saleh, I., Elkhatib, R. (2015). Screening of phthalate esters in 47 branded perfumes. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23 (1), 455–468. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5267-z
- Croijmans, I., Beetsma, D., Aarts, H., Gortemaker, I., Smeets, M. (2021). The role of fragrance and self-esteem in perception of body odors and impressions of others. PLOS ONE, 16 (11), e0258773. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0258773
- Lenochová, P., Vohnoutová, P., Roberts, S. C., Oberzaucher, E., Grammer, K., Havlíček, J. (2012). Psychology of Fragrance Use: Perception of Individual Odor and Perfume Blends Reveals a Mechanism for Idiosyncratic Effects on Fragrance Choice. PLoS ONE, 7 (3), e33810. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0033810
- Sowndhararajan, K., Kim, S. (2016). Influence of Fragrances on Human Psychophysiological Activity: With Special Reference to Human Electroencephalographic Response. Scientia Pharmaceutica, 84 (4), 724–751. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/scipharm84040724
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Olga Filiptsova, Olexander Bashura, Olga Naboka, Oleksandra Kran, Maksym Almakaiev, Halyna Kukhtenko, Tetiana Martyniuk, Yuliia Osypenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.