Comparison of methods of enterprise competitiveness estimation
Keywords:competitiveness, competition, competitive advantage, strategy, evaluation methods
In order to be successful any enterprise needs to assess its competitiveness on a regular basis that enables to determine the strengths and weaknesses of the company, identify its hidden potential opportunities and, accordingly, improve its strategy. In the article the authors suggest broaden classification of methodological approaches to evaluate competitiveness, that can help define the most appropriate method.
The choice of the method to assesse competitiveness depends on the matter who and what for is doing it. SWOT-analysis can be used with the aim of general analysis of the enterprise and the market, identification of their opportunities and threats. This method is based on the definition of strengths and weaknesses of the company and its competitors. PEST-analysis is recommended to be used for studying of the external environment of the enterprise, the development of measures to minimize the impact of negative factors and planning the development strategy based on positive factors. Comprehensive competitiveness evaluation methods are the most informative. In particular, the market position of the enterprise compared to its strategic competitors can be determined by the method of competitiveness pyramid constructing.
The authors prove the necessity of using different methods for competitiveness evaluation based on practical examples. It depends on the purpose of the assessment, spheres of business, available information, preferences of the decision maker, the time allowed for decision making.
- Schwab, K. (2015). Insight Report. The Global Competitiveness Report 2014–2015. Geneva: World Economic Forum. Available: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GlobalCompetitivenessReport_2014-15.pdf
- Smit, А. (2007). Issledovanie o prirode i prichinax bogatstva narodov. M., 960.
- Porter, M. (2000). Konkurentsiia. M.: Izd. dom «Vil'iams», 495.
- Schumpeter, J. (2007). Teorija ekonomiceskogo razvitija. Kapitalism, democratiya sotcializm. М., 864.
- Koval's'ka, L. L. (2007). Otsinka konkurentospromozhnosti rehionu ta mekhanizmy ii pidvyschennia. L., 419.
- Herasymchuk, Z. V., Koval's'ka, L. L. (2008). Konkurentospromozhnist' rehionu: teoriia, metodolohiia, praktyka. L., 248.
- Dragan, O. (2006). Upravlіnnja konkurentospromozhnіstju pіdpriemstv: teoreticnі aspecty. K.: DAKKKіM, 160.
- Fatxutdіnov, R. A., Osovskam, G. C. (2009). Upravlinnia konkurentozdatnistiu orhanizatsii. K.: Kondor, 468.
- Bridoux, F. (2004). A Resource-based approach to performance and competition: an overview of the connections between resources and competition. IAG working paper. Available: http://www.uclouvain.be/cps/ucl/doc/iag/documents/WP_110_Brid- oux.pdf
- Verhoglyadova, N., Levchinskyy, D., Rossikhina, O. (2012). The methods of building enterprise competitiveness estimation. In global international scientific analytical report. Available: http://gisap.eu/node/291
- Ivanova, N. I., Marcus, O. E. (2011). Porіvnyalna characteristica metodіv otsіnki konkurentospromozhnostі. Ekonomіchny Prostir, 48/2, 189–196.
- Thompson, A. A., Strickland, A. J. (2007). Strategic Management: Consepts and Cases. Ed. 11th. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 1104.
- Hofer, C. W., Schendel, D. (1978). Strategy formulation: Analytical concepts. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing, 234.
- McKinsey & Company. (2008). Enduring Ideas: The GE–McKinsey nine-box matrix. Available: http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/strategy/enduring_ideas_the_ge_and_mckinsey_nine-box_matrix
- Rezultati konkursu “Favorit uspíxu”. Available: www.favor.com.ua
- Internet storinka korporatsii “Biscuit Shokolad”. Available: http://www.biscuit.com.ua
- Internet storinka PAT «Poltavakonditer». Available: http://www.dominic.com.ua
- Internet storinka PrAT “Konditerska factory Lagoda”. Available: http://lagoda.com.ua
- Chevganova, V. J., Brizhan, І. A., Zemtsova, K. A., Olіynik, O. O. (2010). Konkurentospromozhnіst: sutnіst, otsіnka ta shlyaxi pіdvischennya ii rіvnya (region, galuz, pіdpriеmstvo). P.: PoltNTU, 256.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Ірина Анатоліївна Брижань, Віра Яківна Чевганова
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.