STUDYING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SOCIAL TRUST AND TAX EVASIO
Abstract. Social trust is the reflection of the laid down laws and regulations and their execution. Social trust is occurred when one understands the acceptance of the truth as his/her duty. The basic working procedure for promoting tax acceptance, the development of tax ethics in the structure of the tax system, agents, auditors and, in particular, tax payers and its executive solution is the growth of community trust. The purpose of this research is to examine the relationship between social trust and tax evasion. Data were collected by a questionnaire and analyzed by structural equation modeling. The statistical sample of this research includes 384 tax payers from North Khorasan Province, which were surveyed in
1995. Findings of the research indicate that there is a negative and significant relationship between social trust and tax evasion. Also, the findings showed that the relationship between social trust and tax evasion is higher among female payers than male ones. In addition, they showed that the relationship between social trust and tax avoidance by payers without financial literacy is stronger than those having financial literacy.
Keywords: financial literacy, payers’ gender, social trust and tax evasion
Banimahd, B. & Darvish, H. (2016) "Social trust and auditors' attitude toward independence”. Scientific-Research
Quarterly of Accounting and Auditing of Management, Fifth Year, No. 19, p. 17-26.
14. Khani, A. & Imani, K. & Yousefi, A. (2014). Avoidance of Tax, Measurement and Its Effective Factors,
Quarterly of Accounting Research. Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 121-142.
15. Rezaei, F. & Moshiri, H. (2014). Investigating the relationship between ownership structure and corporate tax
avoidance, International Conference of Accounting, Economics and Financial Management. Tehran, Knowledge-
based Artakh Company.
16. Reza'I, F. & Azimi, A. (2015). Investigating the Relationship between Mechanisms of Corporate Governance
and Tax Management in Companies, Quarterly of the Tax Research. 23 (25). 157-179.
17. Sarvestani, A. (2012). Investigating the relation of company characteristics and ownership with the effective
tax rate of companies accepted in Tehran Stock Exchange. Master thesis. Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman,
18. Safarinia, M. & Sharif, N. (2013). Construction and review of psychometric properties of social trust
questionnaire. Quarterly of Social Psychology, no. 11, p. 47
19. Arab Salehi, M. & Hashemi, M. (2015). effect of excessive management assurance on tax evasion, accounting
and auditing studies. Vol. 22, No. 1, Pages 85-104.
20. Moradi, M. & Rostami, A. & Taghizadeh, R. (2013). Investigating factors influencing tax evasion by
emphasizing cultural factors. Tax Research-Book 18: 181-201.
21. Mansouri, N. (2013). Assessment of the Effect of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Tax Planning in the
Companies Acquired in Tehran Stock Exchange. Master thesis, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research
Branch of West Azarbaijan.
22. Mehrani, S. & Seyedi, S. Jalal. (2014). Investigating the Effect of Income Tax and Conservative Accounting on
Evasion, Accounting Knowledge and Management Audit. Vol. 3, No. 10, Pages 13-23.