International legal standards for the protection of internally displaced persons: theoretical and practical aspects
Keywords:international standards, internally displaced persons, human rights, guarantees, institutional mechanism, martial law, integration
The article analyzes the system of international legal standards for the protection of the rights and freedoms of internally displaced persons, their doctrinal sources, and mechanisms for ensuring them. The purpose of the article is to study the existing international legal standards on the protection of the rights and freedoms of internally displaced persons, their theoretical, contractual and institutional foundations, implementation problems and identification of improvement prospects.
It is substantiated, that the system of standards for the protection of IDPs constitutes a kind of international mechanism for ensuring the status, first of all, the rights and freedoms of IDPs, the corresponding guarantees, which are regulated by the norms of universal, regional and special treaties, are implemented by authorized subjects at various levels and spheres of life. The standards of the universal, supranational, regional levels, ones of mandatory legal force and recommendatory, permanent and temporary, etc. are distinguished.
Compared to refugees, who have a special mechanism of international protection, IDPs acquire protection indirectly, as they are under the legal protection of their country of citizenship and residence, its government, etc. Attention was drawn to the significance of the Guidelines of 1998, which are based on numerous acts of the Council of Europe, the EU, etc. However, the existing standards regarding IDPs do not have a unified character, as well as the corresponding institutional mechanism.
Therefore, at the national level, the authorized bodies are assigned a significant amount of tasks, functions, and powers to ensure the rights and freedoms of IDPs, guarantee their implementation and protection, restore violated rights, and implement international standards and best foreign practices. Therefore, it is natural to improve the legislation of Ukraine, ensure effective and accessible procedures, and integrate IDPs into the life of the community, society and the state. It is expedient to activate our state in international law-making on the issue of IDPs for the solution of existing problems, first of all, their social protection, electoral rights, housing and land rights, provision of legal assistance, etc
- Boiko, O. (2023). V Ukraini 7 milioniv nezareiestrovanykh pereselentsiv. Available at: https://suspilne.media/412176-v-ukraini-7-miljoniv-nezareestrovanih-pereselenciv-veresuk/
- Ofitsiinyi sait Ministerstva sotsialnoi polityky Ukrainy. Available at: http://www.msp.gov.ua/news/
- Operational data portal. Ukraine refugee situation. Available at: https://data.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine
- Rohacha, O. Ya., Savchyn, M. V., Mendzhul, M. V. (Eds.) (2017). Mekhanizm zabezpechennia prav vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib: natsionalnyi ta mizhnarodnyi aspekty. Uzhhorod: RIK-U, 348.
- Voitsikhovskyi, A. V. (Ed.) (2021). Prava liudyny u mizhnarodnomu pravi. Kharkiv: OOO «Planeta-Prynt», 404.
- Mytsyk, V. V. (2010) Prava liudyny u mizhnarodnomu pravi. Mizhnarodno-pravovi mekhanizmy zakhystu. Kyiv: «Promeni», 722.
- Proniuk, N. V. (2010). Suchasne mizhnarodne pravo. Kyiv: KNT, 280.
- Fedorova, A., Sviatun, O.; Kopiika, V. V. (Ed.) (2023). Osnovni prava tymchasovo zakhyshchenykh osib z Ukrainy v krainakh YeS. Suchasni problemy rozvytku mizhnarodnoho ta yevropeiskoho prava. Kyiv, 199–220.
- Fedorova, A. L. (2018) Zakhyst vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib: standarty Rady Yevropy ta zakonodavstvo Ukrainy Priorytetni napriamy doslidzhen rozvytku derzhavy i prava v umovakh yevroatlantychnoi intehratsii Ukrainy. Kyiv, 300.
- Samoilova, L. H. (2018). Vnutrishno peremishcheni osoby v pryimaiuchykh hromadakh: porivnialnyi analiz modelei bezkonfliktnoi vzaiemodii. Kyiv, 137. Available at: https://ela.kpi.ua/handle/123456789/27277
- Korshun, A. A. (2021). Pravovyi status vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib: teoretyko-pravovyi aspekt. Dnipro, 259.
- Ukraine in the system of modern international legal order and European integration: problems of doctrine and practice in the context of modern humanitarian challenges (2022). Chernivtsi, 644.
- Indeks intehratsii vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib. Available at: https://cedos.org.ua/researches/vpo-integration-index/
- OON. Available at: https://www.un.org/en/
- Kerivni pryntsypy OON z pytan vnutrishnoho peremishchennia. Available at: http://unhcr.org.ua/attachments/article/317/UN%20Guiding%20Principles%20on%20Internal%20Displacement.pdf
- Pro zabezpechennia prav i svobod vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib (2014). Zakon Ukrainy No. 1706-VII. 20.10.2014. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/card/1706-18
- Stratehiia intehratsii vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib ta vprovadzhennia dovhostrokovykh rishen shchodo vnutrishnoho peremishchennia na period do 2020 roku (2017). Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy No. 909-r. 15.11.2017. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/909-2017-%D1%80#Text
- Putintsev, A. V., Pashchenko, Yu. Ye. (2018). Adaptatsiia vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib v rehionakh Ukrainy: sutnist, poniattia, pidkhody. Ekonomika. finansy. menedzhment: aktualni pytannia nauky i praktyky, 9, 110–121.
- Shaptala, N., Kaminska, N. (2022). State Policy of Ukraine on Temporarily Occupied Territories: Problems of Conceptualization In Modern Scientific Discourse. Fìlosofsʹkì Ta Metodologìčnì Problemi Prava, 23 (1), 57–69. doi: https://doi.org/10.33270/01222302.57
- Proekt Zakonu pro vnesennia zmin do Zakonu Ukrainy "Pro zabezpechennia prav ta svobod vnutrishno peremishchenykh osib" (2020). No. 4487. 11.12.2020. Available at: https://itd.rada.gov.ua/billInfo/Bills/Card/4930
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Nataliia Kaminska, Vladyslav Boiko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.