Preventive activity with children registered with the police
Keywords:children, preventive accounting, preventive work, levels of prevention, juvenile prevention, risk factors
The article analyzes the problematic issues of preventive work with children in conflict with the law, who are registered with the police, and conducts a scientific search for possible solutions. Based on the analysis of the scientific literature, it was established, that the organizational and legal support of preventive activities of juvenile police officers with children who are registered with the police needs to be improved. A systematic approach to the study of regulatory and legal support of preventive activities of juvenile police allowed to identify its main stages and taking into account the personal experience of the authors in the field of juvenile prevention to analyze the organizational and legal aspects of each. As a result of the research, the challenges, faced by juvenile police officers during preventive work with children who are registered with the police, were identified, and the legal and organizational directions for overcoming them were proposed. The legal direction includes: review of the grounds for preventive registration of a child, including in cases of release of the child from liability due to insignificance, non-attainment of the age of administrative responsibility by the child, the use of courts in accordance with Art. 24-1 UCaO measures of educational influence; introduction of a form of risk assessment of recidivism by a child, registered with the police; establishing responsibility for non-compliance with the conditions of preventive registration; providing for the obligation to agree on preventive measures in the event that a child is simultaneously registered with the police, children's services and/or probation authorities; determination of the grounds and procedure for extending the term of a child's stay on preventive registration. The organizational direction provides for: the need to develop guidelines for juvenile police officers on the specifics of drawing up a plan of individual work and taking measures of individual prevention based on the results of risk assessment of offenses; development of training programs and training of juvenile police officers to conduct individual prevention activities to work with children who are registered with the police; creation of child-friendly places in police departments for individual prevention measures. The importance of changing the paradigm of perception of preventive accounting of the police from punitive to prophylactic tools, aimed at eliminating the causes and conditions of children's offenses, is emphasized
- Pro Natsionalnu politsiiu (2015). Zakon Ukrainy No. 580-VIII. 02.07.2015. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/580-19#Text
- Pro orhany i sluzhby u spravakh ditei ta spetsialni ustanovy dlia ditei (1995). Zakon Ukrainy No. 20/95-VR. 24.01.1995. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/20/95-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text
- Zhuravel, T. V., Zub, L. V., Kovalovoi, O. V., Pylypas, Yu. V. (Eds.) (2019). Pidhotovka pratsivnykiv strukturnykh pidrozdiliv Natsionalnoi politsii Ukrainy u chastyni zabezpechennia ta zakhystu prav ditei: chastyna 1. Kyiv, 515.
- Metodychni rekomendatsii shchodo provedennia prosvitnytsko-profilaktychnykh zaniat z uchniamy 1-11 klasiv za prohramoiu «Shkola i politsiia» (2016). Kyiv, 196. Available at: https://elibrary.kubg.edu.ua/id/eprint/17735/1/T_Zhuravel_K_Sergeieva_SPGRM_SPSR_IL.pdf
- V Ukraini startuvav pilotnyi proiekt «Vykhovatel bezpeky» (2021). Available at: https://mvs.gov.ua/uk/press-center/news/v-ukrayini-startuvav-pilotnii-projekt-vixovatel-bezpeki
- Pro zatverdzhennia Instruktsii z orhanizatsii roboty pidrozdiliv yuvenalnoi preventsii Natsionalnoi politsii Ukrainy (2017). Nakaz MVS Ukrainy No. 1044. 19.12.2017. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0686-18#Text
- Takahashi, Y., Evans, L. T. (2017). An application of machine learning for predicting rearrests: Significant predictors for juveniles. Race and Social Problems, 10 (1), 42–52. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/s12552-017-9219-8
- Wilkinson, A., Lantos, H., McDaniel, T., Winslow, H. (2019). Disrupting the link between maltreatment and delinquency: how school, family, and community factors can be protective. Public Health, 9 (1). doi: http://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-6906-y
- Crooks, C. V., Zwicker, J., Wells, L., Hughes, R., Langlois, A., Herb Emery, J. C. (2017). Estimating costs and benefits associated with evidence-based violence prevention: four case studies based on the fourth R programm. The School of Public Policy. SPP Research Papers, 10 (10). Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2997168
- Dziuba, A. (2018). Subjects of criminal proceedings and juvenile justice, which carry out prevention of crime of minors in FRG. Problems of Legality, 143, 191–201. doi: http://doi.org/10.21564/2414-990x.143.148490
- Ratkoceri, V., Ibis, E. (2021). Characteristics of juvenile delinquency with special emphasis on juveniles as child sexual abuser. SEEU Review, 16 (1), 80-92. doi: http://doi.org/10.2478/seeur-2021-0009
- Grădinariu, T. (2021). Legal and Psycho-Educational Considerations of Bullying Behavior. Analele Stiintifice Ale Universitatii Alexandru Ioan Cuza Din Iasi Stiinte Juridice, LXVII/1, 131–140. doi: http://doi.org/10.47743/jss-2021-67-1-9
- Petrosino, A., Turpin-Petrosino, C., Buehler, J. (2012). Scared Straight and Other Juvenile Awareness Programs for Preventing Juvenile Delinquency: A Systematic Review. Campbell Systematic Reviews, 9 (1), 1–55. doi: http://doi.org/10.4073/csr.2013.5
- Delibašić, M. (2016). Ethical principles of community police work with juvenile offenders. Nauka, bezbednost, policija, 21 (3), 149–169. doi: http://doi.org/10.5937/nabepo21-12590
- Mohylka, O., Tkachenko, M. (2020). Informal education of specialists working with at-risk teenagers at the facility of the «Compass» day center of the Kharkiv charity foundation «Blago». ScienceRise: Pedagogical Education, 1 (34), 17–23. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4984.2020.193409
- Kodeks Ukrainy pro administratyvni pravoporushennia (1984). Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/80731-10#Text
- Pro zatverdzhennia Metodychnykh rekomendatsii otsinky ryzykiv vchynennia povtornoho kryminalnoho pravoporushennia osobamy, yaki vchynyly kryminalni pravoporushennia (obvynuvachuiutsia u vchynenni kryminalnykh pravoporushen) u vitsi 14–18 rokiv (2018). Nakaz Ministerstva yustytsii Ukrainy No. 3787/5. 03.12.2018. Available at: http://academysps.edu.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/nakaz-MJu-3787_5-vid-03.12.2018-Pro-zatverdzhennja-Metodichnih-rekomendacij-ocinki-rizikiv-vchinennja-povtornogo-kriminalnogo-pravoporushennja.pdf
- Ofitsiinyi sait HO «Vseukrainskyi hromadskyi tsentr «Volonter». Available at: https://volunteer.kiev.ua/aboutus
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Vitalii Kapuliak, Olena Kovalova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.