Features of simplified proceedings regarding criminal offenses in the court of first instance
Keywords:differentiation, criminal proceedings, court proceedings, court of first instance, summary proceedings, criminal misdemeanors, expedited proceedings
Summary court proceedings regarding criminal misdemeanors are a differentiated type of court proceedings in the court of first instance. Three forms of simplification of court proceedings regarding criminal misdemeanors are singled out, in particular: 1) with accelerated holding a trial in a court session; 2) without holding a trial in a court session; 3) with holding a trial without examining the evidence regarding those circumstances that are not contested by anyone. The list of documents, the presence of which is a prerequisite for the consideration of the indictment by the court in the order of summary court proceedings, has been determined. The author states that a summary court proceeding without a trial in a court session limits the right to a fair trial, provided for by the Convention on the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. It has been established, that the features of summary court proceedings regarding criminal offenses are: 1) procedural speed; 2) simplification of the procedural form; 3) greater efficiency compared to the "usual" form of court proceedings; 4) changed structure of the proof process; 5) modification (restriction) of certain principles of criminal proceedings. The definition of summary court proceedings for criminal misdemeanors is proposed. The grounds for conducting court proceedings in a simplified manner have been determined, in particular: 1) legal material ground (qualification of the accused's act as a criminal misdemeanor); 2) procedural grounds: a) the presence of the accused's consent to this procedure for consideration of the indictment; b) undisputed recognition by the accused of his/her guilt in committing the incriminated misdemeanor; c) recognition (non-dispute) by the accused of the circumstances of the proceedings, established during the investigation; d) the presence of the prosecutor's initiative (petition) to consider the indictment in a simplified manner
- Trofymenko, V. M. (2017). Teoretychni ta pravovi osnovy dyferentsiatsii kryminalnoho protsesu Ukrainy. Kharkiv, 437.
- Hloviuk, I. V. (2021). Court proceedings of criminal misdemeanors in the court of the first instance: theory and practice. Pravo Ukrainy, 3, 61–72.
- Zadoya, K. (2015). Simplified proceedings concerning criminal offenses under the Criminal Pro-cedure Code of Ukraine of 2012 and the legislation of European countries. Visnyk kryminalnoho sudochynstva, 1, 29–39.
- Djurdjić, V. (2013). Fundamental Principles of Criminal Procedure Law and Forms of Simplified Proceedings in Criminal Matters. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 60–71.
- Škulić, M. (2013). Relation between the Principle of Truth and Simplified Forms of Criminal Proceedings. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 72–92.
- Smith, B. P. (2005). Did the Presumption of Innocence Exist in Summary Proceedings? Law and History Review, 23 (1), 191–199. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/s0738248000000092
- Kotnik, S. (2004). The Emergence of Abbreviated Criminal Procedures in the Field of Criminal Law. Dilemmas of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 453–463.
- Feld, F. (2017). Choice of Court: Summary Trial or Trial on Indictment. PrecedentAULA 59, 142. Precedent 36. Available at: http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/PrecedentAULA/2017/59.html
- Jakulin, V. (2013). Simplified Forms of Proceedings in the Criminal Procedure Legislation in Slovenia. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 32–46.
- Radulović, D. (2013). Simplified Forms of Criminal Proceedings in the New Criminal Procedure Code in Montenegro. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 47–59.
- Bubalović, T. (2013). Summary Proceedings in Croation Criminal Legislation. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 284–312.
- Mitrović, L. (2013). Types of Simplified Procedure Used in Misdemeanour Matters in BiH. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 372–380.
- Jovanović, I., Stanisavljević, M. (2013). Summary Criminal Proceedings in Criminal Procedure Legislation of Serbia and Countries in the Region. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 351–365.
- Pavišić, B. (2013). Some Issues Concerning Summary Criminal Proceedings in European Criminal Law. Simplified forms of procedure in criminal matters: regional criminal procedure legislation and experiences in application, 313–329.
- Electronic summary proceedings. Korea сriminal justice portal. Available at: https://fgn.kics.go.kr/en/jsp/cjp/electronicSummaryProceedings.jsp
- Recommendation No. R (87) 18 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States Concerning the Simplification of Criminal Justice, adopted on 17 September 1987. Available at: https://rm.coe.int/16804e19f8
- Slutska, T. I. (2020). Shchodo pytannia sproshchenoho sudovoho provadzhennia stosovno kryminalnykh prostupkiv: analiz zakonodavstva. Protokol. Available at: https://protocol.ua/ru/shchodo_pitannya_sproshchenogo_sudovogo_provadgennya_stosovno_kriminalnih_prostupkiv_analiz_zakonodavstva
- Postanova Verkhovnoho Sudu vid 17 chervnia 2021 roku (sprava No. 397/784/20). Yedynyi derzhavnyi reiestr sudovykh rishen. Available at: https://reyestr.court.gov.ua/Review/97771993
- Case of Colozza v. Italy (Application No. 9024/80): Judgment of 12 February 1985. European Court of Human Rights. Available at: http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng?i=001-57462
- Loboiko, L. M. (2002). Dopustymist sproshchennia poriadku sudovoho rozghliadu spravy u kryminalnomu protsesi zmishanoi formy. Sudova reforma v Ukraini: problemy i perspektyvy, 248–250.
- Forostianyi, A. V. (2013). Provedennia sproshchenoho sudovoho rozghliadu za novym Kryminalnym protsesualnym kodeksom Ukrainy. Yurydychnyi visnyk Natsionalnoi akademii vnutrishnikh sprav, 2, 64–68.
- Code of Criminal Procedure. Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan). Available at: https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=C0010001
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Iryna Oboronova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.