The impact of obesity on the structure of osteoarthrosis of large joints of the lower limb.
Keywords:obesity, osteoarthrosis of knee and hip joints, total joints replacement
AbstractThe prevalence of osteoarthrosis (OA) among adults over 40 years is taking one of the leading places in the common structure of joint pathology. Obesity – is of the comorbidities associated with OA, one of the risk factors of development and progression of OA. The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of obesity on the structure of knee and hip OA on the stage of total joint replacement, depending on the patient`s gender, age and degree of obesity. The study involved 170 inpatient case histories of patients with OA undergoing treatment in the department of large joints replacement (64 men and 106 women): 95 patients with OA of hip joint and 75 – with OA of knee joint, among whom there were 110 patients with obesity and 60 – without it. The middle age of the patients was by 63,8±7,69 years. High prevalence of obesity among patients with OA of knee and hip joints was found, with significant higher number of obese patients with OA of knee joint and among female patients. It has been demonstrated a significant increase in the frequency of total knee joint replacement associated with the increase of body mass index among patients with OA of knee joint. The presence of obesity was associated with earlier terms of the total joint replacement performing, especially among male patients.
1. Badokin VV. [Osteoarthritis: current status of the problem and the strategy of treatment]. RMZh. 2012;7:376-80. Russian.
2. Kuryata AV, Lysunets TK, Zaychenko AV, Cherkasova AV. [Pain and the problem of NSAID’s safety: monography]. Dnepropetrovsk: Gerda; 2014;87. Russian.
3. Golovach Iju. [Obesity-induced osteoarthritis: multifactorial associations and the leading role of adipokines, dyslipidemia and mechanical load]. Travma. 2015;4(16):70-78. Ukrainian.
4. Bur’janov OA, Omel'chenko TM, Kvasha VP, Sobolevskyj JuL, Skobenko JeO, Legen'kyj OG, et al. [Complex treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee joints]. Medycyna transportu Ukrai'ny. 2014;2:60-68. Ukrainian.
5. Kuryata AV, Cherkasova AV, Garmish IP. [The effectiveness of piascledine in complex therapy of patients with osteoarthritis and comorbidity]. Travma. 2015;4(16):15-20. Russian.
6. Loskutov Oje. [Reconstructive joint replacement in patients with dysplastic osteoarthritis of hip joint]. Ukrai'ns'kyj medychnyj al'manah. 2011;14(4):75-79. Ukrainian.
7. [Order of Ministry of Health of Ukraine N 676 from 12/10/2006. On approval of the protocols of the medical care to patients in specialty Rheumatology]. Kyiv; 2006. Ukrainian.
8. [Order of Ministry of Health of Ukraine N 751 from 28/09/2012. On approval and introduction of medical and technological documents for standardization of medical care in the system of Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Adapted clinical installation, based on the evidence. Osteoarthritis]. Kyiv;2016;1-501. Ukrainian.
9. Khalafyan AA. [Statistica 6. Statistical analysis: a manual for the higher educational institutions]. Moscow: Binom-Press 2-e izd., 2010;528. Russian.
10. Bruyère O, Cooper C, Pelletier JP., Maheu E, Rannou F, Branco J, et al. A consensus statement on the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO) algorithm for the management of knee osteoarthritis — From evidence-based medicine to the real-life setting. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2016;45:3-11.
14. Redinger RN. Obesity: pathophisiology and clinic features. Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2007;3(1):856-63.
15. Sartori-Cintra AR, Aikawa P, Correa Cintra DE. Obesity versus osteoarthritis: beyond the mechanical overload. Revendo Ciências Básicas. 2014;12(3):374-9.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Medicni perspektivi (Medical perspectives)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Submitting manuscript to the journal "Medicni perspektivi" the author(s) agree with transferring copyright from the author(s) to publisher (including photos, figures, tables, etc.) editor, reproducing materials of the manuscript in the journal, Internet, translation into other languages, export and import of the issue with the author’s article, spreading without limitation of their period of validity both on the territory of Ukraine and other countries. This and other mutual duties of the author and all co-authors separately and editorial board are secured by written agreement by special form to use the article, the sample of which is presented on the site.
Author signs a written agreement and sends it to Editorial Board simultaneously with submission of the manuscript.