Extrapolation of theory of institutions on the propensity to public finance in Ukraine
Keywords:institute, public debt, public finances, norm, formal and informal institutions, market of institutions
AbstractThis paper discusses the importance of institutional innovators of modern institutional environment and the relationship of political business cycles and fiscal consolidation. The main purpose of the study is an analysis of the latest trends in modern macroeconomic policy in Ukraine, analysis of the impact of institutional innovators to market institutions, consideration of issues of fiscal consolidation and efficiency of the public sector from the standpoint of fiscal asymmetry. This article discusses the theoretical foundations of the institutions as the regulatory standards of management; discusses the importance of institutional innovators in the institutional environment; an interrelation of political business cycles and fiscal consolidation; an interrelation of informal institutions with macroeconomic policies. The analyses of public debt showed an inefficiency of the distribution system of public finance and found the deformation of market mechanisms and the creation of artificial barriers to economic agents. A necessity of changing the structural model of public finances, attracting new institutional innovators programs of fiscal consolidation, is proved in the article.
- Coase, R. (2007). Company, Market and the Right. Translated from English. Moscow: Novoe izdatel'stvo, 224. Available: http://vl.ucoz.org/_ld/0/76_coase.pdf
- North, D. (2000). Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance. Translated from English. Kyiv: Osnovy, 198.
- Furubotn, E. G., Richter, R.; Translated from English: Kat'kalo, V. S., Drozdovaia, N. P. (2005). Institutions and Economic Theory: Achievements of the New Institutional Economics University Press. St. Petersburg: Publishing House of St. Petersburg State University, 702. ISBN 5-288-03496-6.
- Williamson, O. (1996). The Economic Institutions of Capitalism: Firms, Markets, Relational Contracting. Translated from English. St. Petersburg: Lenizdat, 702.
- Hodgson, J. (2003). Economic Theory and Institutes. Translated from English. Moscow: Delo, 464.
- Chukhno, A. (2008). Institutionalism: theory, methodology, significance. Economy of Ukraine, 6, 4–13.
- Leonenko, P. M. (2013). Institutionalism and its Place in Modern Economic Theory (political economy). Economic Bulletin University, 21 (1), 163–171.
- Dementiev, V. V., Vishnevskiy, V. P. (2013). Institutional Barriers to Evolutionary Innovation in the Former Soviet Union: Political Pconomy Point of View. Problems of Economics, 4 (9), 132–156.
- Gaidai, T. V. (2006). Institution as an Instrument of Institutional Economic Analysis. Economic Theory, 2, 53–64.
- Lipov, V. V. (2013). The Structural Complementarity of Institutional Units in Ukraine: instead of transforming the diffusion. Economy Development, 4 (68), 5–10.
- Prutska, O. O. (2003). Institutionalism economic behavior and problems in transition economies. Kyiv, 256.
- Dlugopolsky, O. V. (2012). Public Finances in Conditions of Financial Crisis and Transformation of the World Economy. Finance of Ukraine, 8, 106–121.
- Kozyuk, V. V. (2012). The Problem of the Optimal Value of Public Debt in the Long Run. World Finance, 2, 17–27.
- In: Tarangul, L. L. (2013). Fiscal consolidation: macroeconomic issues and institutional framework. Kyiv: Alerta, 496.
- Tambovtsev, V. L. (2001). Institutional market as a mechanism for institutional change. Social studies and the present, 5, 25–38.
- Oleinik, A. (1999). Norma as a basic element of institutions. Questions of economy, 2, 137-156.
- Chavance, B. (2008). Formal and informal institutional change: the experience of postsocialist transformation. The European Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol. 5, № 1, 57–71. Available: http://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/6308181.pdf
- Caplin, A., Nalebuff, B. (1997, February). Competition among Institutions. Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 72, № 2, 306–342. doi:10.1006/jeth.1996.2212
- Pejovich, S. (1994, November). The Market for Institutions vs. Capitalism by Fiat: The Case of Eastern Europe. Kyklos, Vol. 47, № 4, 519–529. doi:10.1111/j.1467-6435.1994.tb02064.x
- Sameuls, W. J., Bromley, D. W. (1990, October). Economic Interests and Institutions: The Conceptual Foundations of Public Policy. Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 57, № 2, 576–578. doi:10.2307/1060651
- Knight, J. (1992). Institutions and Social Conflict. Cambridge University Press, 234. doi:10.1017/cbo9780511528170
- Tambovtsev, V. L. (2005). The role of institutions in the market for institutional evolution. Economic Bulletin of the Rostov State University, Vol. 3, № 4, 28–36.
- Greif, A., Kingston, C. (2011). Institutions: Rules or Equilibria? Political Economy of Institutions, Democracy and Voting. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 13–43. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-19519-8_2
- Estache, A., Martimort, D. (1999). Politics, Transaction Costs, and the Design of Regulatory Institutions. Policy Research Working Papers. The World Bank, 28. doi:10.1596/1813-9450-2073
- Rodrik, D. (1996, March). Understanding Economic Policy Reform. Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. XXXIV, 9–41. Available: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?rep=rep1&type=pdf&doi=10.1.1.207.2130
- Open Budget Index. International Budget Partnership. Available: http://survey.internationalbudget.org
- Promoting Economic Opportunity & Prosperity. The Heritage Foundation. 2015 Index of Economic Freedom. Available: http://www.heritage.org/index/
- Nordhaus, W. D. (1975, April). The Political Business Cycle. The Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 42, № 2, 169–190. doi:10.2307/2296528
- Loasby, B. J. (2000, January 7). Market institutions and economic evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Vol. 10, № 3, 297–309. doi:10.1007/s001910050016
- The Ministry of Finance of Ukraine. Available: http://www.minfin.gov.ua/
- Gross domestic product in Ukraine. Finance portal of the Ministry of Finance. Available: http://index.minfin.com.ua/index/gdp/
- State Statistics Service. Available: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Execution of the State Budget. State Treasury Service of Ukraine. Available: http://www.treasury.gov.ua/main/uk/doccatalog/list?currDir=146477
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Ольга Сергеевна Поликарпова
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.