Assessment of market access for agricultural goods in the eu regional trade agreements
Keywords:tariffs, tariff quotas, non-tariff barriers, regional trade agreements of the EU, agricultural products
Based on the analysis of the tariff regime the assessment of market access for agricultural products in regional trade agreements (RTAs) with the EU was made. It was established that the principles of agricultural protectionism formed and continue to determine the development of the EU agricultural markets and the position of the EU in the RTAs. The majorities of the EU RTAs are signed and valid within the countries which aren’t strategic partners in agricultural trade. Their tariff regime is characterized by low rates with a high proportion of tariff lines which are not imposed by tariff and also by list of goods for which tariff quotas are fixed. For the EU strategic partners (which are currently trading with the EU in the standard GSP) high tariff rates are combined with a low percentage of tariff lines that are not imposed by tariffs. In case of signing RTAs there is a significant potential of liberalization of the tariff regime for them. Non-tariff instruments dominate in agricultural trade; they are approved and can be regulated by WTO rules. It is likely that regional multilateral agreements between the leading players will contribute not only «mitigate conflicts», but also to progress negotiations on agriculture in the WTO and the growth trade of agricultural products.
- Key Statistics and Trends in Trade Policy. (2013). UNCTAD – United Nations Conference on Trade And Development. New York and Geneva: United Nations. Available: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/ditctab20132_en.pdf
- World Trade Report 2014 – Trade and development: recent trends and the role of the WTO. (2014). World Trade Organization, 240. Available: https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/world_trade_report14_e.pdf
- Krasnikova, N. O. (2013). Osoblyvosti suchasnoho kryzovoho protektsionizmu. Visnyk Dnipropetrovskoho universytetu. Seriia Svitove hospodarstvo i mizhnarodni ekonomichni vidnosyny, 5, 55–61.
- Fulponi, L., Shearer, M., Almeida, J. (2011, March 31). Regional Trade Agreements – Treatment of Agriculture. OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers, 44. Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD), 10. doi:10.1787/5kgg53fmnjxv-en
- Crawford, J.-A. (2012, October 1). Market Access Provisions on Trade in Goods in Regional Trade Agreements. SSRN Electronic Journal. Available: http://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2174330
- Tangermann, S. (2013, December). E15: Agriculture, Trade and Food Security Challenges. Expert Group: A Post-Bali Food Security Agenda. Bali. Available: http://www.ictsd.org/themes/global-economic-governance/research/e15-agriculture-trade-and-food-security-challenges-expert
- Sheffield, S. (1998). Agriculture, GATT, and Regional Trade Agreements. Economic Research Service/USDA. Regional Trade Agreements and U. S. Agriculture, AER-771, 87–96. Available: http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/927931/aer771l_002.pdf
- Pilling, D., Donnan, S. (2013, September 22). Trans-Pacific Partnership: Ocean’s Twelve. Financial Times. Available: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8c253c5c-2056-11e3-b8c6-00144feab7de.html#axzz40VhzRIbe
- EU agriculture – Statistical and economic information. (2013). European Commission. Available: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/statistics/agricultural/2013/pdf/c7-1-37_en.pdf
- Konsolidovana versiia Dohovoru pro funktsionuvannia Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu. LIHA:ZAKON. Available: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/MU10267.html
- Soglasheniia VTO. Tsentr ekspertizy po voprosam VTO. Available: http://www.wto.ru/documents.asp?f=sogl&t=13
- European Union. (2013, November 28). Trade policy review. Report by the secretariat. WT/TPR/S/284/Rev.2. World Trade Organization, 252. Available: http://docsonline.wto.org/dol2fe/Pages/FE.../q/WT/TPR/S284R2.pdf
- World Tariff Profiles 2013. (2013). World Trade Organization, 202. Available: https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/tariff_profiles13_e.pdf
- Council decision of 16 September 2010 on the signing, on behalf of the European Union, and provisional application of the Free Trade Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and the Republic of Korea, of the other part (2011/265/EU). (14.05.2011). Official Journal of the European Union, L 127/1, 1–1426. Available: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2011.127.01.0001.01.ENG
- Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odnoho boku, ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom, Yevropeiskym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i yikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoho boku. (27.06.2014). LIHA:ZAKON. Available: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/MU14097.html
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Оlena Dzyad
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.