Purposeful modification of carbonate fillers for waterborne paints
Keywords:carbonate filler, surface area, polymerophilicity, modification, surfactants
In order to maximize the potential of Ukrainian carbonate deposits in composition of waterborne paints were studied properties and their possible for modification by mechanochemical activation in the presence of CH3Si(OH)2OK.
Filtration coefficient, size of the effective specific surface, hydrophilic factor for initial and modified materials are determined during the work in the methodology of moistening research at leaking of polar and nonpolar liquids.
Based on the data can be argued that the surface modification of carbonate by hydroalcoholic solution CH3Si(OH)2OK makes its surface less hydrophilic, increases dispersion, reduces the size of interparticle capillary, increases the effective surface area and will enhance the properties of the finished composite materials.
Thus, investigations have shown that at filling of waterborne paints by carbonates of Ukrainian deposits is reasonable to conduct their preliminary mechanical activation using hydroalcoholic solution CH3Si(OH)2OK at a concentration of 0,5 % wt, because this treatment allows to bring the nature of carbonate surface to film former and improve moistening and distribution of the filler particles in the coating structure.
- Merezhko, N., Sviderskyi, V., Komakha, V., Shulga, O.; In: Salerno-Kochan, R. (2014). Expanding of raw material base of mineral fillers for water-dispersion paints in Ukraine. Commodity Science in Research and Practice – Non-food products’ quality and innovations. Cracow: Polish Society of Commodity Science, 113-117.
- Gysau, D. (2006). Fillers for Paints. Hannover/Germany: Vincentz Network, 199.
- Goldschmidt, A., Streitberger, H.-J. (2007). BASF Handbook on Basics of Coatings Technology. Ed. 2. Munster/Germany: Vincentz Network, 769.
- Brok, T., Groteklaus, M., Mishke, P. (2007). Evropeiskoe rukovodstvo po lakokrasochnym materialam i pokrytiiam. M.: Standart, 548.
- Zhiyuan, Y., Yanjun, T., Junhua, Z. (2013, April). Surface modification of CaCO3 nanoparticles with silane coupling agent for improvement of the interfacial compatibility with styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) latex. Chalcogenide Letters, Vol. 10, № 4, 131-141.
- Xiaoming, X., Xiao-le, T., Qiang, Z. (2008). Influence of surface-modification for calcium carbonate on the interaction between the fillers and polydimethylsiloxane. Chinese Journal of Polymer Science, Vol. 26, № 2, 145-152. doi: 10.1142/S0256767908002777
- Mikanovic, N., Jolicoeur, C., Page, M. (2006, October). Influence of Surfactant Chemical admixtures on the Stability and rheological Properties of Calcium Carbonate and Cement Pastes. Proceedings of conference «Recent developments in superplasticizers», Vol. 239, 321-344.
- Pashchenko, A. A., Voronkov, M. G. (1977). Gidrofobnyi vspuchennyi perlit. K.: Naukova dumka, 202.
- Bentley, J., Turner, G. (1997). Introduction to Paint Chemistry and principles of paint technology. London/UK: Chapman & Hall, 298. doi:10.1007/978-1-4899-3180-1
- Deriagin, B. V., Zahaeva, N. N., Talaev, M. V. (1955). Pribor dlia opredeleniia koeffitsienta fil'tratsii i kapilliarnoi propitki poristyh i dispersnyh tel. M.: AN SSSR, 11.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Володимир Олександрович Комаха, Валентин Анатолійович Свідерський
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.