Research of intellectual capital sourcing at the mechanical engineering enterprises
Keywords:intellectual capital, intellectual capital management, intellectual capital sourcing, insourcing, outsourcing
The features of the businesses in mechanical engineering labor market, an impact on the choice of modern management enterprise intellectual capital management strategies are analyzed. It is emphasized that activities trends to attract additional highly qualified engineers are explained by the current state of industrial development and shifting priorities in management strategies based on intellectual resources.
Intellectual capital management strategies experience is generalized. The growth, stability and protection strategies are marked out according to the model proposed by Sh. Kohut. Integration policies deemed necessary for engineering companies to develop capital and state policy support. Examples of successful practices of these strategies implementation by engineering companies are proposed. Their decisions were impacted by the present market conditions, demand, supply, market structure, phase of the business cycle.
The expediency of apprenticeship practices at the mechanical engineering enterprises is proved. Present day needs of management operating systems in new curriculum of engineers training adjusted for management courses both at local and global levels are illustrated.
Externalization of tacit knowledge of enterprise by outsourcing of intellectual capital is identified. The example of externalization is engineering services outsourcing enhancing the competitive position of engineering enterprises in the global economy by minimizing the costs of localization, resources saving, increasing productivity, creating products with high added value. Limitations of outsourcing strategy use caused by key competencies losses of project designers, warranty managements tasks are emphasized.
- Gray, P. H., Meister, D. B. (2004). Knowledge sourcing effectiveness. Management Science, 50 (6), 821–834. doi:10.1287/mnsc.1030.0192
- Edvardsson, I. R. (2011). The impact of outsourcing strategies on companies’ intellectual capital. Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 9 (S4), 286–292. doi:10.1057/kmrp.2011.33
- Merk, C., Torrisi, F. D. (2014, July). Rebalancing your sourcing strategy. McKinsey & Company. Available: http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/business-technology/our-insights/rebalancing-your-sourcing-strategy. Last accessed: 21.02.2016.
- Brown, M. (1997, January 01). UK: Outsourcery. Management Today. Available: http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/411346/UK-OUTSOURCERY/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH. Last accessed: 20.03.2016.
- Future skill needs in Europe: Synthesis report. (30.11.2009). Cedefop. Available: http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/en/publications-and-resources/publications/4078. Last accessed: 04.03.2016.
- Summary analysis of Semta’s footprint. Semta. Available: http://semta.org.uk/skills/sector-skills-intelligence. Last accessed: 27.03.2016.
- Vieweg, H.-G. (2012). An introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Study on the Competitiveness of the EU Mechanical Engineering Industry Within the Framework Contract of Sectoral Competitiveness Studies. European Commission. Available: http://ec.europa.eu//growth/sectors/mechanical-engineering. Last accessed: 14.04.2016.
- Coggins, S. K. (1999). Strategic human resource management: business strategy and sourcing. The University of Houston Clear Lake, 65.
- Minter, S. (2014, Feb 20). UK Manufacturing: Open for Business. IndustryWeek. Available at: http://www.industryweek.com/trade/uk-manufacturing-open-business. Last accessed: 21.04.2016.
- From Gyroscopes to Computers: The Pre-History of UNISYS. Lexikon's History of Computing. Available: http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/UNISYS-History.htm. Last accessed: 29.03.2016.
- Toshihiro, N. (1994). Strategic Industrial Sourcing: The Japanese Advantage. Oxford University Press, 352.
- Davis-Blake, A., Uzzi, B. (1993). Determinants of Employment Externalization: A Study of Temporary Workers and Independent Contractors. Administrative Science Quarterly, 38 (2), 195–223. doi:10.2307/2393411
- Rana, A. I., Ghani, J. A. (2004). Dynamics of Outsourcing in Industrial Clusters: a Study of the Gujrat Fan Industry in Pakistan. Asian Journal of Management Cases, 1 (1), 7–24. doi:10.1177/097282010400100103
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Аліна Олександрівна Осаул
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.