Hygienic assessment of palm oil content in dairy products as a measure of health protection
Keywords:palm oil, vegetable fats, dairy products, milk-containing products, rational nutrition, prevention
Nutrition provides the most important function of the human body, providing it with the energy it needs for an active life and longevity. Experts of the World Health Organization have proven that eating palm oil leads to obesity and the development of chronic diseases on a global scale.
The aim of the study was to examine different types of dairy products of brands popular on the modern Ukrainian market for the content of palm oil.
Materials and methods. To carry out the research, we purchased the following dairy products: pasteurized milk, pasteurized milk-containing drink, sour cream, milk-containing sour cream product, hard cheese and cheese product, processed cheese and processed cheese product, as well as sweet cream butter and vegetable cream product of popular brands. The research was carried out using the methods described in the educational literature on the hygienic examination of milk and dairy products. The choice of methods was based on ease of implementation and reproducibility at home.
Results. As a result of the use of selected research methods, characteristic differences between natural products and those containing palm oil have been established. The conducted research will allow consumers to quickly determine the content of vegetable fats in dairy products under normal conditions and choose natural, healthy and safe products for their nutrition.
Conclusion. After analyzing the milk and milk-containing products of the most popular brands for the presence of palm oil in their composition, we found that no vegetable fats were found in dairy products (milk, cheese, butter, and sour cream). The presence of vegetable fat was detected in milk-containing products, which was indicated on the packaging as part of the products. So, as a result of the conducted research, we came to the conclusion that manufacturers comply with the requirements of current legislation and warn consumers about the presence of fats of vegetable origin in milk-containing products
- Prokopyk, D. (2018). Dlia koho shkidlyva palmova oliia. BBC Ukraina. Available at: www.bbc.com/ukrainian/blog-science-44167143
- Makarenko, I. (2016). Ekspert nazvav top-15 neiakisnoho masla v Ukraini. Ukrainski natsionalni novyny informatsiine ahentstvo. Available at: https://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1590263-ekspert-nazvav-top-15-marok-neyakisnogo-masla-v-ukrayini
- Fedulova, I. (2018). Dairy products market in Ukraine: opportunities and threats. Tovary i rynky, 1, 15–28.
- Wang, X., Jiang, X., Deng, B., Xiao, J., Jin, J., Huang, Z. (2019). Lipopolysaccharide and palmitic acid synergistically induced MCP-1 production via MAPK-meditated TLR4 signaling pathway in RAW264.7 cells. Lipids in Health and Disease, 18 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12944-019-1017-4
- Petrus, P., Rosqvist, F., Edholm, D., Mejhert, N., Arner, P., Dahlman, I. et al. (2015). Saturated fatty acids in human visceral adipose tissue are associated with increased 11- β-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase type 1 expression. Lipids in Health and Disease, 14 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12944-015-0042-1
- Hozhenko, A. I., Hryshko, Yu. M. (2019). Pathogenetic basis of the obesity development as a consequence of functional-metabolic imbalance in the organism (review). Actual problems of transport medicine, 1 (55), 29–40.
- Titov, V. N., Rozhkova, T. A., Ameliushkina, V. A., Kukharchuk, V. V. (2015). The role of palmitic fatty acid in initiation of hypertriglyceridemia, hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis, and atheromatosis. Mizhnarodnyi medychnyi zhurnal, 21 (2 (82)), 5–14.
- Titov, V. N. (2013). Vysokyi vmist palmitynovoi zhyrnoi kysloty v yizhi – osnovna prychyna pidvyshchennia rivnia kholesterynu lipoproteiniv nyzkoi shchilnosti ta aterosklerozu intymiv arterii. Klinichna laboratorna diahnostyka, 2, 3–10.
- Peshuk, L. V., Nosenko, T. T. (2011). Biokhimiia ta tekhnolohiia oliie-zhyrovoi syrovyny. Kyiv: Tsentr uchbovoi literatury, 296.
- Odarchenko, A. M. (2007). Tovaroznavstvo molochnykh tovariv. Kharkiv: Khark. derzh. un-t kharch. ta torhivli, 336.
- Levytskyi, A. P. (2018). Patofiziolohiia vysokozhyrovoho kharchuvannia ta shliakhy profilaktyky yoho uskladnen. Biuleten XVII chytan im. V. V. Pidvysotskoho. Odesa, 120–124.
- Antipova, R., Кomisova, T., Sak, A. (2018). The Risk of Human Health Damage when Consuming Palm Oil. Ukrainian Journal of Medicine, Biology and Sport, 3 (6), 275–278. doi: https://doi.org/10.26693/jmbs03.06.275
- Levytskyi, A. P. (2014). Dysbiotychnyi syndrom: etiolohiia, patohenez, klinika, profilaktyka ta likuvannia. Visnyk stomatolohii, 10, 14–20.
- Odarchenko, A. M., Karbivnycha, T. V., Spodar, K. V., Vodolaha, V. Yu. (2017). Comparative evaluation of quality of condensed dairy canned food different manufacturers. Young Scientist, 5 (45), 487–490.
- Chaharovskyi, O. P., Tkachenko, N. A., Lysohor, T. A. (2016). Falsyfikatsiia moloka. Metody vyznachennia. Kyiv, 127.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Olena Matviichuk, Rymma Yeromenko, Olena Dolzhykova, Anatolii Matviichuk , Larysa Karabut
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.