Features of interaction between styrene-acrylic film formers and modified kaolin
Keywords:kaolin, styrene-acrylic film former, modifier, characteristic absorption bands, stretching vibrations
The processes of interaction in systems of kaolin with modifiers and styrene-acrylic film former are analyzed in the article. Researches were performed using infrared spectroscopy. The aim of the work was to assess the level of interaction processes in the investigated systems. In this paper the quantitative parameters of the main characteristic bands responsible for the stretching vibrations of reactive groups of kaolin and film former are determined. Maximum shift of the characteristic bands of the IR spectra and change their intensity are indicated. It is determine which of the investigated surfactants provide the most complete interaction of kaolin with styrene-acrylic film former. The results demonstrates that the interactions of the modifiers, fillers, and film former are proceed in presence of OH-groups of adsorbed water and linkages Si-O-Al of kaolin surface. The authors suggest the use of modified kaolin, which are characterized by the most complete interaction with the styrene-acrylic film former, as fillers for waterborne paints that provide higher performance properties of coatings.
- Merezhko, N. V., Shulga, O. S. (2013). Rynok vodno-dyspersiynykh lakofarbovykh materialiv v Ukrayini. SWorld, Vol. 11, № 2, 16-24.
- Merezhko, N., Sviderskyi, V., Komakha, V., Shulga, O.; In: Salerno-Kochan, R. (2014). Expanding of raw material base of mineral fillers for water-dispersion paints in Ukraine. Commodity Science in Research and Practice – Non-food products’ quality and innovations. Cracow: Polish Society of Commodity Science, 113-117.
- Gysau, D. (2006). Fillers for Paints. Hannover/Germany: Vincentz Network, 199.
- Prado, A. G. S., Airoldi, C. (2001, March). Adsorption, preconcentration and separation of cations on silica gel chemically modified with the herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 432, № 2, 201–211. doi:10.1016/s0003-2670(00)01372-6
- Mikanovic, N., Jolicoeur, C., Page, M. (2006, October). Influence of Surfactant Chemical admixtures on the Stability and rheological Properties of Calcium Carbonate and Cement Pastes. Proceedings of conference «Recent developments in superplasticizers», Vol. 239, 321-344.
- Domka, L., Malicka, A., Stachowiak, N. (2008, January 1). The effect of kaolin modification of silane coupling agents on the properties of the polyethylene composites. Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, Vol. 10, № 2, 5-10. doi:10.2478/v10026-008-0020-8
- Avila, L. R., de Faria, E. H., Ciuffi, K. J., Nassar, E. J., Calefi, P. S., Vicente, M. A., Trujillano, R. (2010, January). New synthesis strategies for effective functionalization of kaolinite and saponite with silylating agents. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 341, № 1, 186–193. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2009.08.041
- Panya, P., Wanless, E. J., Arquero, O., Franks, G. V. (2005, March). The Effect of Ionic Surfactant Adsorption on the Rheology of Ceramic Glaze Suspensions. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 88, № 3, 540–546. doi:10.1111/j.1551-2916.2005.00121.x
- Ding, H., Lu, S., Du, G. (2011, February). Surface modification of wollastonite by the mechano-activated method and its properties. International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials, Vol. 18, № 1, 83–88. doi:10.1007/s12613-011-0404-2
- Sykorskyy, A. A., Myroniuk, A. V., Sviderskyy, V. A. (2013). Rheological behavor of kaoline water suspensions in presence of surfactants. Technology Audit And Production Reserves, 2(1(10)), 45-48. Available: http://journals.uran.ua/tarp/article/view/12959
- Salnyk, V. H., Chernyak, L. P., Petruk, R. V. (2007). Reolohichnyy analiz strukturno-mekhanichnykh ta reolohichnykh pokaznykiv zbahachenykh ta nezbahachenyyi hlukhivets'kykh kaoliniv v tekhnolohiyi vyrobnytstva sanitarnoyi keramiky. Visnyk Vinnytskoho politekhnichnoho instytutu, № 6, 16-20
- Sviderskyy, V. A., Salnyk, V. H., Chernyak, L. P. (2010). Zastosuvannya modyfikovanoho kaolinu dlya rehulyuvannya vlastyvostey vodnykh dyspersnykh system. Naukovi visti NTUU «KPI», № 3, 133-138.
- Merezhko, N. V., Shugha, O. S. (2014). Adsorbtsiyni vlastyvosti kaoliniv. Tovary i rynky, № 2 (18), 148-155.
- Merezhko, N. V., Shulga, O. S. (2014). Reolohichni vlastyvosti styrol-akrylovykh vodnykh dyspersiy napovnenykh kaolinamy. Visnyk ChDTU: Tekhnichni nauky, № 4, 100-105.
- Avvakumova, N. I., Budarina, L. A., Divgun, S. M.; In: Kurenkova, V. F. (1990). Praktikum po himii i fizike polimerov. M.: Himiya, 304.
- Paukshtis, E. A. (2010). Opticheskaya spektroskopiya v adsorbtsii i katalize. Primenenie IK spektroskopii. Novosibirsk: Institut kataliza SO RAN im. G. K. Boreskova, 54.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Ніна Василівна Мережко, Ольга Сергіївна Шульга
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.