Modification of the Boston Consulting Group matrix in the strategic management of an enterprise
Keywords:рortfolio, analysis, matrix, strategy, position, innovations, products – «dreams»
AbstractThe article deals with the topical issues of how the domestic enterprises use the system of analysis and assessment of external and internal environments, detect their products position at the market compared to the competitive products and select the strategy of their further development taking into account the peculiarities of the innovative activity of domestic enterprises. For this purpose it is suggested to use the portfolio analysis methods. Based on the results of the analysis of the well-known portfolio matrices the conclusion has been drawn that with the view of the evaluation and formation of the strategic directions of an enterprise as well as detection of its innovative activity it is required to modify the Boston Consulting Group matrix. The use of the modified Boston Consulting Group matrix will help to shape an effective strategy of the further development of an enterprise after having analyzed the enterprise activity in dynamics and having balanced the life cycles of separate products in the corresponding business directions of the «enterprise portfolio». The implementation of the modified Boston Consulting Group matrix into the activity of «Ozon» LLC has allowed revealing the problems in the matrix use which has defined the prospects of further investigations.
- Metody i instrumenty portfel'nogo analiza. Available: http://gigabaza.ru/doc/68031-pall.html. Last accessed: 12.01.2016.
- Tarnavska, N., Napora, O. (2008). Stratehichnyi menedzhment: praktykum. Kyiv: Kondor, 287.
- Dovhan, L. Ye., Karakai, Yu. V., Artemenko, L. P. (2009). Stratehichne upravlinnia. Kyiv: Tsentr uchbovoi literatury, 440.
- Petryshyn, N. Ya. (2008). Instrumentarii stratehichnoho planuvannia diialnosti mashynobudivnykh pidpryiemstv. Bulletin of the National University «Lviv Polytechnic». Series: Management and Entrepreneurship in Ukraine: stages of formation and development problems, 624, 70–76.
- Saienko, M. H. (2007). Stratehiia pidpryiemstva. Ternopil: Ekonomichna dumka, 352.
- Osel, R. R., Wright, R. V. L. (1980). Allocating resources: How to Do It in Multi-Industry Corporations. Handbook of Business Problem Solving. New York: McGrow-Hill, 322.
- Morrison, A., Wensley, R. (1991, January). Boxing up or Boxed in?: A Short History of the Boston Consulting Group Share/Growth Matrix. Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 7, № 2, 105–129. doi:10.1080/0267257x.1991.9964145
- Serrano Gallardo, M. del P., Arroyo Gordo, M. P., Gimenez Maroto, A. M. (2005, November). La Matriz BCG (Boston Consulting Group) para la Gestion de Publicaciones Periadicas. Index de Enfermeria, Vol. 14, № 50, 53–56. doi:10.4321/s1132-12962005000200011
- Robinson, C. G. (1985, Jun). The Boston Consulting Group's strategic menagerie. South African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 16, № 2, 76–86.
- Green, M. T., Odom, L., Jacquelyn, A., Hudspeth, E., Hudsepth, G. (2003). Using the Boston Consulting Group Matrix To Analyze College Programs: Should that New Major Be Approved? Education Leadership Review, Vol. 4, № 2, 14–16.
- Solovii, Kh. Ya. (2012). Formuvannia ta vykorystannia zbalansovanykh system pokaznykiv innovatsiinoi diialnosti pidpryiemstv. Lviv, 195.
- Podolchak, N. Yu. (2012). Stratehichnyi menedzhment. Lviv: Lviv Polytechnic Publishing House, 400.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Василь Васильович Козик, Христина Ярославівна Соловій
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.