Research in phytochemical composition and hypoglycemic activity screening of the dry extracts from bearberry leaves
Keywords:bearberry, leaves, extract, modification, amino acid, phenolic compounds, hypoglycemic activity
Diabetes mellitus is a global medical and social issue. In the developed countries of the world, from 5 to 12% of the population are diagnosed with diabetes mellitus and, according to WHO prognosis, the level of this disease may increase to 30-35%. Type 2 diabetes is a disease that progresses over time, but the rational and systematic use of hypoglycemic synthetic drugs and phytopreparations can significantly delay the onset of insulin therapy. A promising source of BAS with a hypoglycemic effect is the raw material of plants of the Heather family, namely, bearberry leaves. However, on the Ukrainian market there are no domestic galenic and novo-galenic preparations based on biologically active substances of this raw material, which indicates the prospects for the development of new drugs, including those with hypoglycemic action.
The aim. The aim of the study was to study the phytochemical composition and to carry out a screening of the hypoglycemic activity of dry extracts from bearberry leaves modified with various amino acids to identify promising substances with hypoglycemic action.
Materials and methods. The objects of the study were 11 dry extracts from bearberry leaves, 10 of which were modified with various amino acids. The study of the phenolic compounds of the extracts was carried out by TLC, HPLC, and spectrophotometry. To assess the hypoglycemic activity of the extracts, two experiments were carried out - primary screening and oral glucose tolerance test.
Results. Using TLC and HPLC, in the extracts obtained arbutin, gallic acid, 5 flavonoids were identified, among which hyperoside was dominant, 4 hydroxycinnamic acids, among which chlorogenic and caffeic acids were dominant, and their content was established. In the extracts obtained, main groups of phenolic compounds were quantified using a spectrophotometric method. Dry extracts from bearberry leaves, modified with cysteine, arginine and glutamic acid, showed the strongest hypoglycemic activity.
Conclusions. The chemical composition of phenolic compounds and the hypoglycemic activity of dry extracts from bearberry leaves modified with 10 different amino acids were determined. The most promising substances turned out to be extracts modified with cysteine, arginine and glutamic acid; therefore, they are promising agents for the development of new drugs.
- About metabolic syndrome. American Heart Association. Available at: https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/metabolic-syndrome/about-metabolic-syndrome Last accessed: 12.02.2019
- Aguilar-Salinas, C. A., Viveros-Ruiz, T. (2019). Recent advances in managing/understanding the metabolic syndrome. F1000Research, 8, 370. doi: http://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.17122.1
- Ferri, F. F. (2019). Metabolic syndrome. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2019. Philadelphia: Elsevier. Available at: https://evolve.elsevier.com/cs/product/9780323611855?role=student Last accessed: 12.02.2019
- Gregory, J. W. (2019). Prevention of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome in Children. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 10. doi: http://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00669
- Williamson, G., Sheedy, K. (2020). Effects of Polyphenols on Insulin Resistance. Nutrients, 12 (10), 3135. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/nu12103135
- Van Sloun, B., Goossens, G., Erdos, B., Lenz, M., van Riel, N., Arts, I. (2020). The Impact of Amino Acids on Postprandial Glucose and Insulin Kinetics in Humans: A Quantitative Overview. Nutrients, 12 (10), 3211. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/nu12103211
- Parejo, I., Viladomat, F., Bastida, J., Codina, C. (2001). A single extraction step in the quantitative analysis of arbutin in bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) leaves by high-performance liquid chromatography. Phytochemical Analysis, 12 (5), 336–339. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/pca.602
- Radulović, N., Blagojević, P., Palić, R. (2010). Comparative Study of the Leaf Volatiles of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. and Vaccinium vitis-idaea L. (Ericaceae). Molecules, 15 (9), 6168–6185. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/molecules15096168
- Linderborg, K., Laaksonen, O., Kallio, H., Yang, B. (2011). Flavonoids, sugars and fruit acids of alpine bearberry (Arctostaphylos alpina) from Finnish Lapland. Food Research International, 44 (7), 2027–2033. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.10.036
- Amarowicz, R., Pegg, R. B., Kosińska, A. (2008). Chromatographic separation of tannin fractions from a bearberry-leaf (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi L. Sprengel) extract by HPLC – a short report. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences, 58 (4), 485–490.
- Mashkovskiy, M. D. (2010). Lekarstvennye sredstva. Moscow: OOO «Izd-vo Novaya Volna», 1216.
- Kovalenko, V. N. (2020) Compendium 2020 – Medicines. Kyiv: MORION, 2700.
- Koshovyi, O., Raal, A., Kireyev, I., Tryshchuk, N., Ilina, T., Romanenko, Y. et. al. (2021). Phytochemical and Psychotropic Research of Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca L.) Modified Dry Extracts. Plants, 10 (2), 230. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/plants10020230
- Zagayko, A. L., Kolisnyk, T. Y., Chumak, O. I., Ruban, O. A., Koshovyi, O. M. (2018). Evaluation of anti-obesity and lipid-lowering properties of Vaccinium myrtillus leaves powder extract in a hamster model. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology, 29 (6), 697–703. doi: http://doi.org/10.1515/jbcpp-2017-0161
- Koshovyi, O. M., Zagayko, A. L., Kolychev, I. O., Akhmedov, E. Yu., Komissarenko, A. N. (2016). Phytochemical study of the dry extract from bilberry leaves. Azerbaijan Pharmaceutical and Pharmacotherapy Journal, 16 (1), 18–23.
- Chaika, N., Koshovyi, O., Ain, R., Kireyev, I., Zupanets, A., Odyntsova, V. (2020). Phytochemical profile and pharmacological activity of the dry extract from Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves modified with phenylalanine. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science, 6 (28), 74–84. doi: http://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2020.222511
- Starchenko, G., Hrytsyk, A., Raal, A., Koshovyi, О. (2020). Phytochemical profile and pharmacological activities of water and hydroethanolic dry extracts of Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. herb. Plants, 9, 751; doi:10.3390/plants9060751
- Dobrochaeva, D. N., Kotox, M. I., Prokudin, Y. N., Barbarich, A. I. (1999). Key to Higher Plants of Ukraine. Kyiv: Naukova dumka.
- Koshovyi, O., Raal, A., Kovaleva, A., Myha, M., Ilina, T., Borodina, N. (2020). The phytochemical and chemotaxonomic study of Salvia spp. growing in Ukraine. Journal of Applied Biology & Biotechnology, 8 (3), 29–36. doi: http://doi.org/10.7324/jabb.2020.80306
- Romas, K., Polovkо, N., Vyshnevskа, L., Shmalko, A. (2020). The Investigation of the Stability of the Granules Based on Arginine and Tincture of Ginseng. Journal of Global Pharma Technology, 12 (2), 108–114.
- Derzhavna Farmakopeia Ukrainy. Vol. 1. Kharkiv: Derzhavne pidpryiemstvo «Ukrainskyi naukovyi farmakopeinyi tsentr yakosti likarskykh zasobiv», 1128.
- Kurkin, V. A., Ryazanova, T. K., Platonov, I. A., Pavlova, L. V. (2015). Quantitative determination of arbutin in the leaves of arctostaphylos uva-ursi (l.) spreng. Khimiya rastitelnogo syrya, 1, 95–100.
- Krivoruchko, E., Markin, A., Samoilova, V.A., Ilina, T., Koshovyi, O. (2018). Research in the chemical composition of the bark of sorbus aucuparia. Ceska a Slovenska Farmacie, 67 (3), 113–115.
- Shinkovenko, I. L., Kashpur, N. V., Ilyina, T. V., Kovalyova, A. M., Goryacha, O. V., Koshovyi, O. M. et. al. (2018). The immunomodulatory activity of the extracts and complexes of biologically active compounds of Galium verum L. herb. Ceska a Slovenska Farmacie, 67 (1), 25–29.
- Gontova, T., Ilyinska, N., Golembiovska, O. (2016). A study of the component composition of phenolic compounds obtained from Dahlia varieties Ken’s Flame herb. Der Pharma Chemica, 8 (18), 455–459.
- Mykhailenko, O., Gudžinskas, Z., Kovalyov, V., Desenko, V., Ivanauskas, L., Bezruk, I., Georgiyants, V. (2020). Effect of ecological factors on the accumulation of phenolic compounds in Irisspecies from Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine. Phytochemical Analysis, 31 (5), 545–563. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/pca.2918
- Zdoryk, O. A., Khokhlova, K. O., Georgiyants, V., Vyshnevska, L. I. (2014). Investigation of Physical and Chemical Stability of Ointment with Herbals. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 18 (3), 248–252.
- Stefanov, O. V. (Ed.) (2001). Doklinichni doslidzhennia likarskykh zasobiv. Kyiv: Avitsena, 528.
- Kravchenko, G. B., Mazen, M., Krasilnikova, O. A. (2018). Screening of Bearberry leaves extracts hypoglycemic effect and study of acute toxicity. Ukrainian biopharmaceutical journal, 2 (55), 13–16. doi: http://doi.org/10.24959/ubphj.18.173
- De Olivera, D. T., Soursa-Silva, E., Scand, T. (2009). Gingival Vein Punction: A New Simple Technique for Drug Administration or Blood Sampling in Rats and Mice. Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science, 36 (2), 109–113.
- Koshevoi, O. N. (2011). Amino-acid and monosaccharide compositions of Salvia officinalis leaves. Chemistry of Natural Compounds, 47 (3), 492–493. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/s10600-011-9976-3
- Koshevoy, N., Zabolotny, A., Koshevaya, I., Kostenko, E.M., Rozhnova, T. (2019). Research of moisture-meter device for bulk and liquid materials. 29th International Scientific Symposium Metrology and Metrology. doi: http://doi.org/10.1109/mma.2019.8935983
- Korobiichuk, I., Bezvesilna, O., Kachniarz, M., Koshovyj, M., Kvasnikov, V. (2018). Methods and Ways of Piezoelectric Accelerometers Fastening on the Objects of Research. Acta Physica Polonica A, 133 (4), 1112–1115. doi: http://doi.org/10.12693/aphyspola.133.1112
- Sakaguchi, K., Takeda, K., Maeda, M., Ogawa, W., Sato, T., Okada, S. et. al. (2015). Glucose area under the curve during oral glucose tolerance test as an index of glucose intolerance. Diabetology International, 7 (1), 53–58. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/s13340-015-0212-4
- Kutsik, R. V., Zuzuk, B. M., Nedostup, A.T., Petsko T. (2003). Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng: Analytical review. Provizor, 18, 27–31.
- Dykes, G. A., Amarowicz, R., Pegg, R. B. (2003). Enhancement of nisin antibacterial activity by a bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) leaf extract. Food Microbiology, 20 (2), 211–216. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/s0740-0020(02)00107-7
- Jahodár, L., Grygarová, V., Budésinský, M. (1988). Triterpenoids of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi roots. Pharmazie, 43 (6), 442–443.
- Cogan, K. E., Carson, B. P., Patel, B., Amigo‐Benavent, M., Jakeman, P. M., Egan, B. (2019). Regulation of GLUT4 translocation in anin vitrocell model using postprandial human serumex vivo. Experimental Physiology, 104 (6), 800–807. doi: http://doi.org/10.1113/ep087356
- Sulochana, K., Srinivasan, V., Radhakrishnan, S., Angayarkanni, N. (2019). Antidiabetic effect of free amino acids supplementation in human visceral adipocytes through adiponectin-dependent mechanism. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 149 (1), 41–46. doi: http://doi.org/10.4103/ijmr.ijmr_1782_16
- Omnia, A., Ehsan, B, Hanan, H. Z. (2019). Antiatherogenic Effect of L-Arginine in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 10 (12), 4148–4154.
- Achari, A. E., Jain, S. K. (2017). l -Cysteine supplementation increases insulin sensitivity mediated by upregulation of GSH and adiponectin in high glucose treated 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 630, 54–65. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2017.07.016
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Natalia Chaika, Matar Mazen, Oleh Koshovyi, Ganna Kravchenko, Olga Goryacha, Igor Kireyev, Sergiy Kovalenko, Roman Darmograi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.