Selection policy of editor
Role of Editor
The journal editor is the person who accompanies the entire process of converting a manuscript into a finished work. A finished work is a scientific paper that has passed the full Regulations and is ready for publication in the journal. Regulation is a set of all works provided for by the publishing workflow, including the procedures for double-blind peer review, editing, translation of the manuscript into English (if the manuscript is not submitted in English) or verification of the provided English version of the manuscript for further publication, subject to fulfillment of all requirements for acceptance to publications. In fact, editor is a communicator connecting all parties (Actors) of the publishing process.
The editor is responsible for:
- correct positioning of the manuscript according to the field of science, scientific topics, relevance
- the timeliness of initiating the start of the implementation of the Regulations, provided that the author fulfills the requirements for the design and submission of the manuscript,
- the quality of communication with all participants (Actors) involved in the process of passing the manuscript, with the production team in the process of publishing the finished work, with the analytics group responsible for working with indexing resources of world scientific periodicals after the publication of the work,
- compliance with ethical standards in accordance with the recommendations of the Publication Ethics Committee (COPE),
- compliance with data privacy requirements.
The editor is obliged:
- to consider the possibility of publishing a manuscript received by e-mail of the editors or downloaded using the tools of the Open Journal System (OJS) platform;
- to evaluate the manuscript for uniqueness and absence of plagiarism or duplicate;
- to evaluate the manuscript for compliance with the format and subject of the journal;
- to evaluate the manuscript for relevance and compliance with the requirements of the journal for design and presentation;
- to select reviewers (for each manuscript of two reviewers in this scientific area, for the double-blind peer review procedure);
- to provide interested reviewers with all the forms necessary for reviewing and, if necessary, instruct them regarding the type of review submission and deadlines (deadline);
- to communicate, if necessary, with reviewers during the review process;
- to provide a process for the author to receive a review (if the author did not use the OJS mechanisms) and set the deadlines for finalizing the manuscript according to the comments of the reviewers, if the reviewers received an assessment of the manuscript, suggesting the need for its subsequent revision to make a final decision on a positive or negative assessment;
- to prepare a reasoned opinion on the rejection of the manuscript, if the reviewers received a negative assessment of it, for consideration by the editor-in-chief;
- to provide feedback to reviewers to familiarize them with the revised version of the manuscript to obtain a final assessment ‒ positive or negative;
- to inform the author of the decision of the editorial office on the possibility of publication, based on the assessment of reviewers;
- to ensure high-quality interaction with technical editors and translators in the case of a positive decision on publication;
- to communicate with the author in order to fulfill the requirements of technical editors and translators, control this process until full approval is received regarding the final design of the manuscript that fully complies with the requirements of the editorial board;
- to communicate with the production team (layouts, designers, technologists) to ensure the quality implementation of the Regulation on a turnkey basis,
- to communicate with a group of analysts to control the process of preparing and uploading an article to the world resources of scientific periodicals (an editor can be an analyst under certain conditions ‒ see Criteria for selecting editors);
- to personally strictly follow ethical standards in accordance with the recommendations of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) for journal editors;
- to monitor compliance with the requirements for the safety of confidential data in the process of implementing the Regulations.
Criteria for selecting editors
The criteria for selecting editors are based not only on his performance as an independent researcher, but, first of all, on the availability of skills that meet the requirements of modernity for the presentation and promotion of scientific information based on integrative principles. The editor must meet the following core criteria:
- the editor must have either a PhD or a master's degree;
- if the applicant has a master's degree, knowledge in the field of system data analysis, standards for the design of literary sources, scientometrics, and at least 3 years of work in a scientific publishing house is mandatory;
- organizational skills and communication skills;
- ability to work with all the most common means of communication;
- enthusiasm and desire not only to work but also to independently develop in the chosen direction;
- participate in specialized webinars, seminars, etc. to improve personal professional level, stimulating the development of the journal.
The listed requirements are defining but do not mean that in the future they cannot be supplemented or adjusted if it is necessary to adapt to the tightening conditions of our time in relation to the quality and visibility of scientific publications.