Establishment of quality indicators of promising plant raw materials - underground organs of Rumex confertus willd
Keywords:root, rhizome, Rumex confertus, diagnostic features, morphological and anatomical structure, numerical indicators
The aim is to study the morphological and anatomical structure of the underground organs of R. confertus and to establish the type of medicinal plant raw materials, to determine a number of its indicators of quality and quantitative content of some groups of biologically active substances using modern methods of analysis.
Materials and methods. It was used air-dry and freshly collected raw materials and a microscope Delta optic BioLight 300 (Poland) to study the macro- and microscopic characteristics of the plant raw materials. Determination of amount of hydroxycinnamic acids and total polyphenols was determined spectrophotometrically according to monograph «Nettle leaf» and the method 2.8.14 of the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine 2.0 (on a spectrophotometer Optizen POP (Korea)). The study of the component composition of hydroxycinnamic acids was performed by HPLC.
Results. As a result of research of plant raw materials it was established that the underground organs of Rumex confertus are the roots of annual plants and the rhizomes and roots of two or three annual plants. Diagnostic features: morphological (for the root and rhizome - the nature of the surface and fracture) and anatomical (for the rhizome - aerenchyma in the cortex, the presence and location of scleroids and sclerenchyma in the plant raw materials of two or three annual plants, the presence in the cells of the cortex and pith parenchyma simple starch grains, druses and cells with yellow content in freshly harvested plant raw materials; for the root - the colour of peridermal cells, the degree of development of pith rays, the remainder of the primary xylem; a distinctive feature of the annual root from two or three annuals is the absence of scleroids). It was determined the borderline boundaries of indicators in the series of plant raw materials: loss on drying (not more than 13. 5 %), total ash (not more than 11 %), extractable matter (not less than 33 %) and the quantitative content of amount of hydroxycinnamic acids (not less than 1.3 %) and total polyphenols (not less than 3.5 %). It was identified chlorogenic and neochlorogenic acids.
Conclusions. It was determined the type of underground organs of Rumex confertus: annuals had only roots (tap root systems), from the second to the third year of life the plants have both rhizomes and tap root system. It was established their morphological and anatomical diagnostic features and determined numerical indicators and the quantitative content of the amount of hydroxycinnamic acids and total polyphenols with using modern methods of analysis and chlorogenic and neochlorogenic acids were identified. The obtained data will be used in further research, including the development of the draft monograph of the State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine 2.0 or the draft methods of quality control of medicinal plant raw materials Rumex confertus and the creation of herbal medicines
- Ulcay, S. (2020). Comparative Anatomical Features Study of the Some Medicinal Rumex Species Distributed in Turkey. International Journal of Advances in Engineering and Pure Sciences, 32 (4), 450–457. doi: http://doi.org/10.7240/jeps.697779
- Kołodziejek, J., Patykowski, J. (2015). Effect of Environmental Factors on Germination and Emergence of Invasive Rumex confertus in Central Europe. The Scientific World Journal, 2015. doi: http://doi.org/10.1155/2015/170176
- Shchavel. Farmatsevtychna entsyklopediia. Available at: https://www.pharmencyclopedia.com.ua/article/42/shhavel
- Kos, O. I., Haiduk, R. Y. (1998). Porivnialna anatomichna budova koreniv deiakykh vydiv rodu shchavel. Farmatsevtychnyi zhurnal, 5, 70–72.
- Weed Risk Assessment for Rumex confertus Willd. (Polygonaceae) – Russian dock (2016). United States Department of Agriculture. Available at: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/plant_pest_info/weeds/downloads/wra/Rumex-confertusWRA.pdf
- Stosik, T. (2012). Generative reproduction efficiency and the population age structure of Rumex confertus Willd. Acta Agrobotanica, 59 (2), 85–93. doi: http://doi.org/10.5586/aa.2006.064
- Kuzmyn, V. Y., Hontar, Ye. M. (1977). Morfolohycheskye osobennosty kornevoi systemi nekotorikh vydov P. RUMEX L. HOLOLAPATHUM LOSINSK. Rastytelnie resursi, XIII (1), 265–272.
- Hameed, I., Hussain, F., Dastgir, G. (2010). Anatomical studies of some medicinal plants of family polygonaceae. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 42 (5), 2975–2983.
- Kriuchkova, T. M., Rudenko, V. P. (2011). Morfoloho-anatomichne doslidzhennia koreniv shchavliu kucheriavoho (Rumex crispus L.). Ukrainskyi zhurnal klinichnoi ta laboratornoi medytsyny, 6 (4), 180–182.
- Jain, P., Parkhe, G. (2018). An updated review on pharmacological studies of Rumex nepalensis. The Pharma Innovation Journal, 7 (12), 175–181.
- Protypukhlynnyi zbir Zdrenko: sklad i zastosuvannia. Available at: https://familydoctor.cx.ua/protipuhlinnij-zbir-zdrenko-sklad-i-zastosuvannja.html
- Kriuchkova, T. M. (2013). Porivnialnyi analiz elementnoho skladu korenevyshch z koreniamy, lystia ta plodiv shchavliu kinskoho ta shchavliu kucheriavoho. Farmatsevtychnyi chasopys, 4, 27–29.
- Vasas, A., Orbán-Gyapai, O., Hohmann, J. (2015). The Genus Rumex: Review of traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 175 (4), 198–228. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.09.001
- Prakash Mishra, A., Sharifi-Rad, M., Shariati, M. A., Mabkhot, Y. N., Al-Showiman, S. S., Rauf, A. et. al. (2018). Bioactive compounds and health benefits of edible Rumex species-A review. Cellular and Molecular Biology, 64 (8), 27–34. doi: http://doi.org/10.14715/cmb/2018.64.8.5
- Sahreen, S., Khan, M. R., Khan, R. A. (2014). Comprehensive assessment of phenolics and antiradical potential of Rumex hastatus D. Don. roots. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 14 (1). doi: http://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-47
- Al Yahya, N. A., Alrumman, S. A., Moustafa, M. F. (2018). Phytochemicals and Antimicrobial Activities of Rumex nervosus Natural Populations Grown in Sarawat Mountains, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 43 (7), 3465–3476. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-018-3136-z
- Wegiera, M., Smolarz, H. D., Bogucka-Kocka, A. (2012). Rumex L. species induce apoptosis in 1301, EOL-1 and H-9 cell lines. Acta poloniae pharmaceutica, 69 (3), 487–499.
- Kustova, T., Karpenyuk, T., Goncharova, A., Mamonov, L., Ross, S. (2014). Herbal extracts in the treatment of Diabetic Foot Syndrome. Central Asian Journal of Global Health, 2. doi: http://doi.org/10.5195/cajgh.2013.86
- Feduraev, P., Chupakhina, G., Maslennikov, P., Tacenko, N., Skrypnik, L. (2019). Variation in Phenolic Compounds Content and Antioxidant Activity of Different Plant Organs from Rumex crispus L. and Rumex obtusifolius L. at Different Growth Stages. Antioxidants, 8 (7), 237. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/antiox8070237
- Upton, R., Graff, A., Jolliffe, G., Länger, R., Williamson, E. (Ed.). (2011). American Herbal Pharmacopoeia: botanical pharmacognosy-microscopic characterization of botanical medicines. CRC Press. doi: http://doi.org/10.1201/b10413
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy (2.0). (2014). Kharkiv: DP «Naukovo-eksportnyi farmakopeinyi tsentr».
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy (2.0). (2015). Kharkiv: Kharkiv: DP «Naukovo-eksportnyi farmakopeinyi tsentr».
- Derzhavna farmakopeia Ukrainy Dop. 5 (2.0). (2021). Kharkiv: DP «Naukovo-eksportnyi farmakopeinyi tsentr».
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Tetiana Oproshanska, Olga Khvorost, Ivanna Batiuchenko, Liudas Ivanauskas, Anastasiia Belikova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.