Determination of standardization parameters of Oxycoccus macrocarpus (Ait.) Pursh and Oxycoccus palustris Pers. Leaves
Keywords:large cranberry, common cranberry, leaves, morphological and anatomical features, standardization
The aim. Extracts of cranberry large leaves have prospects when used to correct insulin-resistant conditions. Therefore, to create new drugs based on cranberry leaves, you need to develop instructions for cultivating the plant, harvesting raw materials and methods of quality control. Therefore, the aim of the research was to determine the parameters of standardization of large cranberry leaves (Oxycoccus macrocarpus (Ait.) Pursh) and swamp cranberries (Oxycoccus palustris Pers.).
Materials and methods. Macro- and microscopic studies of raw materials were performed according to the method of SPhU 2.8.23 “Microscopic examination of medicinal plant raw materials”. Macroscopic examinations were performed using a magnifying glass and MBS-9 binocular microscope. Identification of basic substances was performed by TLC, testing and quantification of flavonoids according to SPhU methods.
Results. The morphological and anatomical features of the leaves of common cranberry and large cranberry were determined. The general features of the structure of stems and leaves species and different differences for each species are were revealed. TLC identification of the main BAS of raw materials was developed and standardization parameters were determined.
Conclusions. The parameters of cranberry leaf standardization are determined by the following indicators: macro-and microscopic features, TLC identification of the main BAS raw materials (hyperoside, rutin and caffeic acid), impurities (not more than 2 %), brown stems not more than 5 %, weight loss during drying (not more than 10 %), total ash (not more than 7 %) and not less than 1 % of flavonoids, in terms of hyperoside
- This work was supported by the Ministry of Health Care of Ukraine from the State Budget in the framework [grant number 2301020] “Scientific and scientific‐technical activity in the field of health protection” on the topic “Modern approaches to the creation of new medicines for a correction of metabolic syndrome”.
- Lauber, K., Wagner, G., Gygax, A. (2018). Flora Helvetica. Illustrierte Flora der Schweiz. Haupt Verlag.
- Vander Kloet, S. P. (1983). The taxonomy of Vaccinium section Oxycoccus (Rhodora) 85:30. New England Botanical Club, Inc.
- Hrodzinskyi, A. M. (1992). Likarski roslyny. Kyiv:«Ukrainska Entsyklopediia» im. M. P. Bazhana, 542.
- Zhuravlyna dribnoploda Oxycoccus microcarpus Turcz. ex Rupr. (O. quadripetalus Gilib. subsp. microcarpus (Turcz. ex Rupr.) Braun-Blanq., O. palustris Pers. subsp. microcarpus (Turcz. ex Rupr.) Nyman, Vaccinium microcarpum (Turcz. ex Rupr.) Schmalh., V. oxycoccus L. subsp. Micro. Available at: http://redbook-ua.org/item/oxycoccus-microcarpus-turcz-ex-ruprschmalh-v-oxycoccus-l-subsp-micro/
- Good practice of cultivation and collection of raw materials of plant origin (2012). Guidelines СТ-Н МОЗУ 42–4.5: 2012.
- Ukrainske sadivnytstvo: posadyty y zarobyty (2020). Ukrainskyi tyzhden, 36 (668).
- Deinichenko, L. G. (2016). Cranberries as a promising raw material for the production of special purpose products. Food additives. Nutrition of healthy and sick people. Kryvyi Rih: DonNUET, 58–59.
- Kolontarev, K. B. (2013). The use of cranberry preparations in patients with recurrent urinary tract infections. Effective pharmacotherapy. Urology and Nephrology, 3 (26), 42–46.
- Kovalenko, V. N. (2020). Compendium 2020 – Medicines. Kyiv: MORION, 2700.
- Koshovyi, O. M., Zagayko, A. L., Kolychev, I. O., Akhmedov, E. Yu., Komissarenko, A. N. (2016). Phytochemical study of the dry extract from bilberry leaves. Azerbaijan Pharmaceutical and Pharmacotherapy Journal, 16 (1), 18–23.
- Zagayko, A. L., Kolisnyk, T. Y., Chumak, O. I., Ruban, O. A., Koshovyi, O. M. (2018). Evaluation of anti-obesity and lipid-lowering properties of Vaccinium myrtillus leaves powder extract in a hamster model. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology, 29 (6), 697–703. doi: http://doi.org/10.1515/jbcpp-2017-0161
- Koshovyi, O., Granica, S., Piwowarski, J. P., Stremoukhov, O., Kostenko, Y., Kravchenko, G. et. al. (2021). Highbush Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) Leaves Extract and Its Modified Arginine Preparation for the Management of Metabolic Syndrome – Chemical Analysis and Bioactivity in Rat Model. Nutrients, 13 (8), 2870. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/nu13082870
- Chaika, N., Mazen, M., Koshovyi, O., Kravchenko, G., Goryacha, O., Kireyev, I. et. al. (2021). Research in phytochemical composition and hypoglycemic activity screening of the dry extracts from bearberry leaves. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science, 3 (31), 42–50. doi: http://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2021.235939
- Chaika, N., Koshovyi, O., Ain, R., Kireyev, I., Zupanets, A., Odyntsova, V. (2020). Phytochemical profile and pharmacological activity of the dry extract from Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves modified with phenylalanine. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science, 6 (28), 74–84. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2020.222511
- Koshovyi, O. M., Vlasova, I. K., Brukhanova, Т. О., Krasilnikova, О. А., Kravchenko, G. B., Zagayko, A. L., Komisarenko, М. А. (2021). Pat. No. 147975 UA. A method of obtaining a therapeutic and prophylactic agent from the leaves of large-fruited cranberries for the correction of insulin-resistant conditions. No. u 2021 00821, declareted: 02/22/2021; published: 23.06.2021, Bul. No. 25/2021.
- Dobrochaeva, D. N., Kotov, M. I., Prokudin, Y. N., Barbarich, A. I. (1999). Key to Higher Plants of Ukraine. Kyiv: Naukova dumka.
- State Pharmacopoeia of Ukraine. (2015). Kharkiv SO «Ukrainian Scientific Pharmacopoeial Center of Drugs Quality».
- Boyko, V. I. (1993). Anatomy of the bark of some species of cranberries M. Dep. in SHSTI 5.1) 5.93. I176-VEZ.
- Best, V. M., Vasanthakumar, A., McManus, P. S. (2004). Anatomy of Cranberry Stem Gall and Localization of Bacteria in Galls. The American Phytopathological Society, 94 (11), 1172–1177. doi: http://doi.org/10.1094/phyto.2004.94.11.1172
- Cesoniene, L., Daubaras, R., Areskeviciute, J., Viskelis, P. (2006). Evaluation of Morphological Peculiarities, Amount of Total Phenolics and Anthocyanins in Berries of European Cranberry (Oxycoccus palustris). Baltic Forestry, 12 (1), 59–63.
- Palser, B. F. (1961). Studies of Floral Morphology in the Ericales. V. Organography and Vascular Anatomy in Several United States Species of the Vacciniaceae. Botanical Gazette, 123 (2), 79–111. doi: http://doi.org/10.1086/336134
- Pukauskiene, J., Paulauskas, A., Eesoniene, L., Daubaras, R. (2009). Genetic structure of isolated Vaccinium oxycoccus populations in Lithuania. Proceedings of The Latvian academy of sciences. Section B, 63 (1/2 (660/661)), 33–36. doi: http://doi.org/10.2478/v10046-009-0018-5
- Schweingruber, F. H., Kucerova, A., Adamec, L., Dolezal, J. (2020). Anatomic Atlas of Aquatic and Wetland Plant Stems. Cham: Springer. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-33420-8
- Nemzer, B. V., Al-Taher, F., Yashin, A., Revelsky, I., Yashin, Y. (2022). Cranberry: Chemical Composition, Antioxidant Activity and Impact on Human Health: Overview. Molecules, 27 (5), 1503. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/molecules27051503
- Cesoniene, L., Daubaras, R.; Simmonds, M. S. J., Preedy V. R. (Eds.) (2016). Phytochemical composition of the large cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) and the small cranberry (Vaccinium oxycoccos). Nutritional Composition of Fruit. Cambridge: Academic Press, 173–194. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-408117-8.00008-8
- Cesoniene, L., Daubarus, R., Paulauskas, A., Zukauskiene, J., Zych, M. (2013). Morphological and genetic diversity of European cranberry (Vaccinium oxycoccos L., Ericaceae) clones in Lithuanian reserves. Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae, 82, 211–217. doi: http://doi.org/10.5586/asbp.2013.026
- Usmanov, Iy., Yumagulova, E., Ovechkina, E., Ivanov, V., Shcherbakov, A., Aleksandrova, V., Ivanov, N. (2016). Fractal Analysis of Morpho-Physiological Parameters of Oxycoccus Palustris Pers in Oligotrophic Swamps of Western Siberia. Vegetos- An International Journal of Plant Research, 29 (1), 1. doi: http://doi.org/10.5958/2229-4473.2016.00002.1
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Inna Vlasova, Tetiana Gontova, Lyubov Grytsyk, Gulsim Zhumashova, Galiya Sayakova, Assyl Boshkayeva, Mariia Shanaida, Oleh Koshovyi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.