Study of the antiulcer activity of garden cabbage extract on the chronic acetic ulcer model in rats
Keywords:cabbage, extract, antiulcer activity, omeprazole, gastroprotective properties, reparation
The aim of the study was to study the gastroprotective properties of the dry extract of garden cabbage in the model of chronic acetic ulcer in rats.
Materials and methods. Chronic ulcerative lesions of the gastric mucosa of rats were modeled by introducing 0.05 ml of a 30 % solution of acetic acid into the subserous layer of the stomach wall. The dry extract of garden cabbage in a conditionally therapeutic dose of 50 mg/kg and reference drugs omeprazole and altan were administered intragastrically for 10 days, starting from the second day of the experiment. When choosing the duration of the course of treatment, we proceeded from the data that the effectiveness of the antiulcer action in the clinic is assessed after 10-12 days of treatment. The percentage of animals with ulcers in the group, the state of the gastric mucosa were evaluated, the ulcer index and antiulcer activity were calculated. To elucidate the possible mechanism of action of the extract, we studied its effect on synthetic processes in terms of the content of RNA and DNA in homogenates of the gastric mucosa by the spectrophotometric method by reaction with perchloric acid.
Results. On the model of stomach damage, caused by acetic acid, a pronounced antiulcer activity of the extract (54.26) was established at the level of omeprazole (54.62). The maximum antiulcer activity (72.75) was revealed when using the combination of the extract with omeprazole, which, in terms of ulcerative effect, is superior to monotherapy with the extract, omeprazole and altan (35.08).
Reparative regeneration is a component of an adaptive tissue reaction; under conditions of violation of the reparative potencies of the mucosa, chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract develop. Since the final goal of antiulcer therapy is the healing of the ulcer, and the basis of this process is reparative regeneration, the reparative properties of the extract have been studied. Under the influence of cabbage extract, the content of RNA and DNA in the mucosa probably increased by 2.8 and 2.4 times, respectively, at the same level with omeprazole. If possible, to activate the synthetic processes of DEGC and omeprazole, altan significantly prevailed.
The most pronounced effect of enhancing reparative processes was established with the combined use of the extract and omeprazole, which turned out to be a significant increase in the content of RNA and DNA in the gastric mucosa by 3.2 and 2.9 times compared with the control.
Conclusions. On the model of chronic damage to the stomach of rats, cabbage extract showed an antiulcer effect, the severity of which was not inferior to the comparison drug, the proton pump inhibitor omeprazole, and significantly exceeded the phytopreparation - altan. The combined use of the extract and omeprazole showed the highest preventive effect of preventing the negative effects of acetic acid on the gastric mucosa. One of the mechanisms of the gastroprotective action of the extract is its ability to enhance reparative processes in the gastric mucosa. The results obtained indicate the prospects for further research on the antiulcer properties of cabbage extract with a view to its use in the complex therapy of peptic ulcer
- Kharchenko, N. V., Babak, O. Ya. (Ed.) (2017). Hastroenterolohiia. Vol. 2. Kirovohrad: Polium, 432.
- Borovkova, N. Iu., Buianova, M. V., Bakka, T. E. et. al. (2018). Porazheniia zheludochno-kishechnogo trakta pri dlitelnom prieme atcetilsalitcilovoi kisloty u bolnykh so stabilnoi ishemicheskoi bolezniu serdtca i vozmozhnosti ikh korrektcii. Kardiologiia Terapiia, 8 (152), 25–29.
- Svіntcіtckii, A. S. (2010). NPZP-gastropatіi: suchasnii stan problemi. Krimskii terapevtichnii zhurnal, 2 (2), 280–286.
- Khimion, L. V., Yashchenko, O. B., Danyliuk, S. V. et. al. (2018). Suchasni pidkhody do diahnostyky ta vedennia khvorykh na vyrazkovu khvorobu shlunka ta dvanadtsiatypaloi kyshky na pervynnomu rivni medychnoi dopomohy. Semeinaia medytsyna, 1 (75), 6–11.
- Hladkykh, F. V., Stepaniuk, N. H. (2014). New approaches to reduce ulcerogenity of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: achievements, unsolved issues and ways to optimize. Zaporozhye Medical Journal, 2 (83), 82–86. doi: https://doi.org/10.14739/2310-1210.2014.2.25437
- Bi, W., Hu, L., Man, M.-Q. (2017). Anti-ulcerogenic efficacy and mechanisms of edible and natural ingredients in nsaid-induced animal models. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, 14 (4), 221–238. doi: https://doi.org/10.21010/ajtcam.v14i4.25
- Bi, W., Man, H., Man, M. (2014). Efficacy and safety of herbal medicines in treating gastric ulcer: A review. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 20 (45), 17020–17028. doi: https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i45.17020
- Morales-López, J., Centeno-Álvarez, M., Nieto-Camacho, A., López, M. G., Pérez-Hernández, E., Pérez-Hernández, N., Fernández-Martínez, E. (2016). Evaluation of antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of white cabbage essential oil. Pharmaceutical Biology, 55 (1), 233–241. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/13880209.2016.1258424
- Kim, H., Lee, Y., Kim, S., Yang, B., Lim, C., Kim, J.-H., Cho, S. (2018). Anti-inflammatory effects of Brassica oleracea Var. capitata L. (Cabbage) methanol extract in mice with contact dermatitis. Pharmacognosy Magazine, 14 (54), 174–179. doi: https://doi.org/10.4103/pm.pm_152_17
- Lemos, M., Santin, J. R., Júnior, L. C. K., Niero, R., Andrade, S. F. de. (2011). Gastroprotective activity of hydroalcoholic extract obtained from the leaves of Brassica oleracea var. acephala DC in different animal models. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 138 (2), 503–507. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.09.046
- Yakovlieva, L. V., Obolentseva, H. V., Briuzghinova, L. P.; Stefanova, O. V. (Ed.) (2001). Eksperymentalne vyvchennia novykh protyvyrazkovykh preparativ. Doklinichni doslidzhennia likarskykh zasobiv. Kyiv: Avitsenna, 321–333.
- Salimov, R. M. (2000). Osnovnye metody statisticheskoi obrabotki rezultatov farmakologicheskikh eksperimentov. Rukovodstvo po eksperimentalnomu (doklinicheskomu) izucheniiu novykh farmakologicheskikh veshchestv. Moscow: Remedium, 349–454.
- Rebrova, O. Yu. (2006). Statystycheskyi analyz medytsynskykh dannykh. Prymenenye paketa prykladnykh prohramm STATISTICA. Moscow: MedyaSfera, 312.
- Moskal, O. M., Lohai, I. V., Turok, Yu. Yu. et al. (2019). Osoblyvosti proiaviv, likuvannia ta profilaktyky NPZP – indukovanoi hastroduodenopatii u khvorykh viddilen riznoho profiliu. Journal of V. N. Karazin` KhNU. Series «Medicine», 37, 41–47.
- Cavallini, M. E., Andreollo, N. A., Metze, K., Araújo, M. R. (2006). Omeprazole and misoprostol for preventing gastric mucosa effects caused by indomethacin and celecoxib in rats. Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, 21 (3), 168–176. doi: https://doi.org/10.1590/s0102-86502006000300009
- Kim, J. H., Park, S.-H., Cho, C.-S., Lee, S. T., Yoo, W.-H., Kim, S. K. et al. (2014). Preventive Efficacy and Safety of Rebamipide in Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug-Induced Mucosal Toxicity. Gut and Liver, 8 (4), 371–379. doi: https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl.2014.8.4.371
- Pittayanon, R., Martel, M., Barkun, A. (2018). Role of mucoprotective agents in endoscopic submucosal dissection‐derived ulcers: A systematic review. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 33 (12), 1948–1955. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jgh.1430
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Nadiia Kononenko, Valentina Chikitkina, Larysa Karabut, Olena Matviichuk, Olha Vislous
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.