Phytochemical profile and pharmacological activity of the dry extract from Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves modified with phenylalanine
Keywords:Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, leaves, extract, modification, phenolic compounds, saponins, pharmacological activity
Diseases of the urinary tract and kidneys occupy a leading place in the structure of diseases all over the world. Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves are one of the most widely used types of medicinal plant materials (MPM) with diuretic and uroantiseptic action. However, a decoction from the leaves of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi has certain disadvantages: the duration of the manufacturing process of the dosage form, the lack of standardization before use, the inaccuracy of dosage and the short storage time of the dosage form, which leads to a low complementarity of this remedy, therefore, the development of standardized extracts from this raw material is relevant.
The aim. The aim of the research was a phytochemical study of a phenylalanine-modified dry extract from the leaves of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi to establish the possibility of creating a new diuretic drug.
Materials and methods. The object of the study was dry extract from the leaves of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, modified with phenylalanine. Phytochemical studies of phenolic compounds and saponins were carried out by HPLC and spectrophotometry. Determination of diuretic activity was carried out according to the method of E.B. Berkhina on outbred rats. Determination of the anti-inflammatory activity of the obtained extracts was carried out by the method of carrageenan edema in white rats. The study of the antibacterial activity of the extracts was carried out by the method of diffusion into agar.
Results. In the extracts obtained by HPLC, phenol glycoside (arbutin), 2 phenol carboxylic acids (gallic and ellagic), 6 flavonoids, 8 saponins were identified and their quantitative content was determined. Among flavonoids, hyperoside and catechin were dominant; among saponins, ursolic acid, uvaol, and lupeol were dominant. In the obtained extracts, the content of the main groups of phenolic compounds was determined by spectrophotometry.
Dry extract of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, modified with phenylalanine, showed pronounced diuretic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial (in relation to St. aureus, E. coli, P. vulgaris, P. aeruginosa, B. subtilis and C. albicans) activity.
Conclusions. The chemical composition, diuretic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activity of dry extract from Arctostaphylos uva-ursi leaves modified with phenylalanine were determined. The obtained dry extract is noted for better solubility, bioavailability and pharmacodynamics, therefore it is a promising substance for creating new drugs in various dosage forms
- Kotvitska, A. A., Kubarieva, I. V., Lekhmak, I. B., Havrysh, N. B., Zhirova, I. V. (2019). The international experience study of organization of medical and pharmaceutical care to the population in emergency situations. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education and Research, 9 (3), 7–12.
- Iermolenko, T., Zupanets, I., Sakharova, T. (2013). Pharmacological study of new urolitholytic drug Flarosukcin in experimental immature rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 21 (2), 258–263.
- Plekhanov, A., Dambaev, A. (2016). Urinary tract infections: epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis, risk factors, diagnosis (review). Acta Biomedica Scientifica, 1 (1), 70–74. doi: http://doi.org/10.12737/21490
- Mashkovskii, M. D. (2010). Lekarstvennye sredstva. Moscow: OOO «Izd-vo Novaia Volna», 1216.
- Derzhavna Farmakopeia Ukrainy. Vol. 1 (2015). Kharkiv: Derzhavne pidpryiemstvo «Ukrainskyi naukovyi farmakopeinyi tsentr yakosti likarskykh zasobiv», 1128.
- Parejo, I., Viladomat, F., Bastida, J., Codina, C. (2001). A single extraction step in the quantitative analysis of arbutin in bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) leaves by high-performance liquid chromatography. Phytochemical Analysis, 12 (5), 336–339. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/pca.602
- Radulović, N., Blagojević, P., Palić, R. (2010). Comparative Study of the Leaf Volatiles of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. and Vaccinium vitis-idaea L. (Ericaceae). Molecules, 15 (9), 6168–6185. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/molecules15096168
- Linderborg, K., Laaksonen, O., Kallio, H., Yang, B. (2011). Flavonoids, sugars and fruit acids of alpine bearberry (Arctostaphylos alpina) from Finnish Lapland. Food Research International, 44 (7), 2027–2033. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.10.036
- Amarowicz, R., Pegg, R. B., Kosińska, A. (2009). SE-HPLC separation of myosin complex with tannins from bearberries (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi L. Sprengel) leaves – a short report. Czech Journal of Food Sciences, 27 (5), 386–391. doi: http://doi.org/10.17221/234/2008-cjfs
- Amarowicz, R., Pegg, R. B. (2013). Inhibition of proliferation of human carcinoma cell lines by phenolic compounds from a bearberry-leaf crude extract and its fractions. Journal of Functional Foods, 5 (2), 660–667. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2013.01.009
- Dmytriievska, I. D., Danylov, S. A., Dmytriievskyi, D. I. (2011). Dotsilnist stvorennia ta rozrobka tekhnolohii novoi likarskoi formy roslynnykh preparativ – sukha nastoika. Ukrainskyi zhurnal klinichnoi ta laboratornoi medytsyny, 6 (2), 4–8.
- Koshevoi, O. N. (2011). Amino-acid and monosaccharide compositions of Salvia officinalis leaves. Chemistry of Natural Compounds, 47 (3), 492–493. doi: http://doi.org/10.1007/s10600-011-9976-3
- Dobrochaeva, D. N., Kotov, M. I., Prokudin, Iu. N., Barbarich, A. I. (1999). Opredelitel vysshikh rastenii Ukrainy. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 548.
- Myha, M., Koshovyi, O., Gamulya, O., Ilina, T., Borodina, N., Vlasova, I. (2020). Phytochemical study of Salvia grandiflora and Salvia officinalis leaves for establishing prospects for use in medical and pharmaceutical practice. ScienceRise: Pharmaceutical Science, 1 (23), 23–28. doi: http://doi.org/10.15587/2519-4852.2020.197299
- Starchenko, G., Hrytsyk, A., Raal, A., Koshovyi, O. (2020). Phytochemical Profile and Pharmacological Activities of Water and Hydroethanolic Dry Extracts of Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. Herb. Plants, 9 (6), 751. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/plants9060751
- Ilina, T., Kashpur, N., Granica, S., Bazylko, A., Shinkovenko, I., Kovalyova, A. et. al. (2019). Phytochemical Profiles and In Vitro Immunomodulatory Activity of Ethanolic Extracts from Galium aparine L. Plants, 8 (12), 541. doi: http://doi.org/10.3390/plants8120541
- Gontova, T., Ilyinska, N., Golembiovska, O. (2016). A study of the component composition of phenolic compounds obtained from Dahlia varieties Ken’s Flame herb. Der Pharma Chemica, 8 (18), 455–459.
- Koshovyi, O. N., Vovk, G. V., Akhmedov, E. Yu., Komissarenko, A. N. (2015). The study of the chemical composition and pharmacological activity of Salvia officinalis leaves extracts getting by complex processing. Azerbaijan Pharmaceutical and Pharmacotherapy Journal, 15 (1), 30–34.
- Shinkovenko, I. L., Kashpur, N. V., Ilyina, T. V., Kovalyova, A. M., Goryacha, O. V., Koshovyi, O. M. et. al. (2018). The immunomodulatory activity of the extracts and complexes of biologically active compounds of Galium verum L. herb. Ceska a Slovenska Farmacie, 67 (1), 25–29.
- Mykhailenko, O., Gudžinskas, Z., Kovalyov, V., Desenko, V., Ivanauskas, L., Bezruk, I., Georgiyants, V. (2020). Effect of ecological factors on the accumulation of phenolic compounds in Iris species from Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine. Phytochemical Analysis, 31 (5), 545–563. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/pca.2918
- Zdoryk, O. A., Khokhlova, K. O., Georgiyants, V., Vyshnevska, L. I. (2014). Investigation of Physical and Chemical Stability of Ointment with Herbals. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 18 (3), 248–252.
- Berkhin, E. B. (1977). Metody izucheniia deistviia novykh khimicheskikh soedinenii na funktsiiu pochek. Khimiko-farmatsevticheskii zhurnal, 11 (5), 3–11.
- Stefanov, O. V. (Ed.) (2001). Doklinichni doslidzhennia likarskykh zasobiv. Kyiv, 528.
- Beaux, D., Fleurentin1, J., Mortier F. (1998). Effect of Extracts of Orthosiphon stamineus Benth, Hieracium pilosella L., Sambucus nigra L. and Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. In Rats. Phytotherapy research, 12 (7), 498–501. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1099-1573(199811)12:7<498::aid-ptr343>3.0.co;2-2
- Koshevoy, N., Zabolotny, A., Koshevaya, I., Kostenko, E. M., Rozhnova, T. (2019). Research of moisture-meter device for bulk and liquid materials. 2019 XXIX International Scientific Symposium “Metrology and Metrology Assurance” (MMA). doi: http://doi.org/10.1109/mma.2019.8935983
- Kurkin, V. A., Riazanova, T. K., Platonov, I. A., Pavlova, L. V. (2015). Quantitative determination of arbutin in the leaves of arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. Chemistry of plant raw material, 1, 95–100.
- Migas, P., Krauze-Baranowska, M. (2015). The significance of arbutin and its derivatives in therapy and cosmetics. Phytochemistry Letters, 13, 35–40. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytol.2015.05.015
- Zagayko, A. L., Kolisnyk, T. Y., Chumak, O. I., Ruban, O. A., Koshovyi, O. M. (2018). Evaluation of anti-obesity and lipid-lowering properties of Vaccinium myrtillus leaves powder extract in a hamster model. Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology, 29 (6), 697–703. doi: http://doi.org/10.1515/jbcpp-2017-0161
- Kutsik, R. V., Zuzuk, B. M., Nedostup, A. T., Petsko, T. (2003). Toloknianka obyknovennaia Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. (Analiticheskii obzor). Provizor, 18, 27–31.
- Dykes, G. A., Amarowicz, R., Pegg, R. B. (2003). Enhancement of nisin antibacterial activity by a bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) leaf extract. Food Microbiology, 20 (2), 211–216. doi: http://doi.org/10.1016/s0740-0020(02)00107-7
- Jahodár, L., Grygarová, V., Budésinský, M. (1988). Triterpenoids of Arctostaphylos uva-ursi roots. Pharmazie, 43 (6), 442–443.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Natalia Chaika, Oleh Koshovyi, Raal Ain, Igor Kireyev, Anna Zupanets, Vira Odyntsova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.