Development of combined composition pessaries for genital herpes treatment
Keywords:composition, pessaries, Acyclovir, essential oils, herpeviral infection, Genital form
Recently, the problem of therapy, as well as creation of effective remedies applied for genital herpes (GH) treatment is relevant for modern gynecology and pharmacy.
Aim. Development of the combined composition pessaries containing Acyclovir and Tea tree and Thyme essential oils, together with confirmation of their pharmacological activity: antiviral and antibacterial.
Methods. The analysis of the assortment of drugs for GH treatment was carried out on the basis of the materials of the State Register of Medicinal Products of Ukraine and the Compendium. The pessaries disintegration and homogeneity was performed in accordance with the SPhU 2.0 requirements. Absorption spectroscopy method at wavelength (265±2) nm was used for determination of Acyclovir concentration in the solutions during release. Study of the antiviral activity of both Acyclovir, and Tea tree and Thyme essential oils, as well as the pessaries containing Acyclovir and the essential oils, was carried out on the base of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, in the State Institution «Institute of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases named after L. V. Gromashevsky» (Kiev), in the laboratory of viral infections experimental chemotherapy. The analysis of the antibacterial properties of the studied samples was carried out on the base of the State Institution «Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology».
Results. In GH therapy, Acyclovir is the most prescribed and safe anti-viral drug. In result of research it was proved that the developed remedy in pessaries form containing Acyclovir, and Tea tree and Thyme essential oils inhibits type 2 herpevirus reproduction and is effective preventive drug on the experimental model of genital herpes infection in guinea pigs.
Conclusion. Combined remedies containing Acyclovir and herbal substances and showing anti-viral activity are absent on Ukrainian market. Considering the fact that pessaries have a number of advantages over the other dosage forms, development of the new remedies containing Acyclovir and Tea tree and Thyme essential oils is a promising direction for modern medicine and pharmacy
- Stephenson-Famy, A., Gardella, C. (2014). Herpes Simplex Virus Infection During Pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America, 41 (4), 601–614. doi: 10.1016/j.ogc.2014.08.006
- Levachkova, Yu. V., Yarnykh, T. G., Litvinova, O. M. (2014). Antivirals: today and the prospects of development in Ukraine. Ukrainskyi biofarmatsevtychnyi zhurnal, 6, 18–22.
- Bardova, E. A. (2011). Gerpeticheskaya infekciya: patogenez, klinika, lechenie. Medix Anti agins, 2, 44–52.
- Stepanenko, V. I., Konovalova, T. S. (2008). Urohenitalni infektsii: trykhomonaz, kandydoz, henitalnyi herpes. Kyiv, 286.
- L'vov, N. D. (2012). Gerpesvirusy cheloveka – sistemnaya, limfoproliferativnaya immunoonkopatologiya. Russkij medicinskij zhurnal, 22, 1133–1137.
- Borovkova, L. V., Zamyslova, V. P. (2011). Sovremennye metody diagnostiki i lechennya genital'nogo gerpesa (obzor). Medicinskij al'manah, 6, 102–106.
- Babyuk, I. A., Cvetkova, L. D., Rymar', I. B., Borlova, L. A. (2013). Bazovoe lechenie gerpesvirusnoj infekcii. Ukrainskij zhurnal dermatologii, venerologii, kosmetologii, 3 (50), 130–136.
- Gnann, J. W., Whitley, R. J. (2016). Genital Herpes. New England Journal of Medicine, 375 (7), 666–674. doi: 10.1056/nejmcp1603178
- Yarnykh, T. H., Levachkova, Iu. V., Harkavtseva, O. A. (2011). Naukove obgruntuvannia vykorystannia efirnoi olii chainoho dereva v hinekolohii ta dermatolohii. Fitoterapiia. Chasopys, 1, 77–79.
- Isakov, V. A., Isakov, D. V. (2015). Immunomodulyatory v terapii i profilaktike gerpesvirusnyh infekcij. Klinicheskaya medicina, 93 (4), 16–24.
- Koch, C., Reichling, J., Schneele, J., Schnitzler, P. (2008). Inhibitory effect of essential oils against herpes simplex virus type 2. Phytomedicine, 15 (1-2), 71–78. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2007.09.003
- Letyaeva, O. I., Ziganshin, O. R., Kudrevich, Yu. V., Gizinger, O. A. (2015). Genital'nyj gerpes: sovremennaya koncepciya terapii. RMZH, 28, 1701–1704.
- Levachkova, Yu. V., Yarnykh, T. G., Litvinova, A. M., Chushenko, V. M. (2016). Spectrophotometric determination of acyclovir in the suppository. Der Pharma Chemica, 8 (2), 356–360.
- Levachkova, Iu. V., Lytvynova, O. M., Chernykh, V. V., Zaichenko, H. V., Sinitsyna, O. S., Chushenko, V. M. (2015). Pat. No. 107464 UA. Farmatsevtychna kompozytsiia u formi supozytoriiv (pesariiv) dlia likuvannia ta profilaktyky henitalnoi formy herpesvirusnoi infektsii. No. u 201511570; declareted: 23.11.2015; published: 10.06.2016, Bul. No. 11, 6.
- Marennikova, S. S., Macevich, G. R., Chekunova, E. V. (1986). Razrabotka i prakticheskoe ispol'zovanie novyh ehksperimental'nyh modelej raznyh form gerpeticheskoj infekcii. Voprosy virusologii, 1, 59–65.
- Derzhavna Farmakopeia Ukrainy. Dop. 1 (2004). Kharkiv: RIREH, 520.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Oleksandra Litvinova, Julia Levachkova, Anna Zaichenko, Vladislava Chernykh, Valentina Chushenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.