Elective disciplines – an important component in the formation of professinal competences of future doctors – pediatric dentists
Keywords:dentistry, elective disciplines, children, dental sanitation, general anesthesia
The article investigates actual issues of introduction of elective disciplines to the educational process of dental students. According to the changes in the political, economic and social spheres of our country, the labor market requires the training of highly skilled specialists who have a high level of knowledge, skills and competences in a particular industry, could make decision in standard and non-standard situations, bear responsibility for them in the professional activity. That is why the importance issue of the development and formation of today’s education is the use of a competence approach. Elective disciplines have an important role in the formation of the professional competences of future doctors and dentists.
The purpose of the study was to reveal the expediency of teaching elective disciplines to students of the Faculty of Dentistry using the example of an elective discipline “Modern technologies in pediatric dentistry” for students of 5th student year.
The blocks of elective disciplines that form a variable component of the Educational and Professional program of Dentistry are characterized. The content of the elective discipline “Modern technologies in pediatric dentistry” for students of the 5th year of the Faculty of Dentistry of Bogomolets National Medical University is analyzed. Thematic plans of lectures and practical lessons in the discipline are presented. It is emphasized, that the purpose of studying this elective discipline is the formation of professional competences necessary for high-quality dental treatment of children, including under general anesthesia. The elective discipline “Modern technologies in pediatric dentistry” was introduced into the educational process in 2022/23 acadrmic year and received favorable reviews from students. Further research involves an anonymous survey of students and teachers, interviews with graduates and employers with the aim of improving the content of electives disciplines and the level of their teaching at the departments
- Horobeiko, M. B., Dinets, A. V. (2022). Medical education in Ukraine: the systemic problem and possible ways to solve it. Ukrainian Medical Journal, 151. doi: https://doi.org/10.32471/umj.1680-3051.151.234381
- Gutor, N. S., Avdeev, O. V., Mitz, I. R., Boykіv, A. B. (2019). Pidhotovka maibutnikh likariv-stomatolohiv u konteksti reformy vyshchoi osvity. Medychna osvita, 4, 74–78. doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/me.2414-5998.2019.3.10535
- Alchuk, O. I., Voloshchuk, N. I., Lozynska, L. F. (2016). The formation of professional competence of future doctors in the new system of educational technologies. Medychna osvita, 1, 5–10.
- Krasnov, V. V. (2013). Problems of formation social and personal competencein the training of doctors. Medychna osvita, 4, 51–58.
- Rozhko, M. M., Ersteniuk, H. M., Kapechuk, V. V., Ivantsiv, M. O., Senchii, V. M. (2016). Kompetentisnyi pidkhid u pidhotovtsi studentiv-medykiv. Medychna osvita, 2, 102–104. doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/me.v0i2.6226
- Delor Jacqes et al. Learning: The Treasure Within. Paris: UNESCO, 1996.
- Filonenko, M. M. (2016). Psykholohiia osobystisnoho stanovlennia maibutnoho likaria. Kyiv: Tsentr uchbovoi literatury. 334.
- Zaporozhan, V. M., Kresiun, V. Y., Rohachevskyi, O. P., Chernetska, O. V. (2016). Perspectives of introduction of modern innovation into educational activity of the university. Medychna osvita, 2, 73–76. doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/me.v0i2.6219
- Korylchuk, N. I. (2021). Vybirkova dystsyplina yak zaporuka pidvyshchennia proofesiinoho rivnia. Medychna osvita, 4, 32–36.
- Paliichuk, V. (2019). Pedagogical terms of formation of professional competence of future dentists on the pre-diploma stage. Suchasna Stomatolohiya, 4, 72–74. doi: https://doi.org/10.33295/1992-576x-2019-4-72
- Нedges, M., Pacheco, G. A., Webber, D. J. (2014). What determines studentsʼchoices of elective modules? Economics working paper series, 1307. Bristol: University of the West of England.
- Pro vyshchu osvitu (2014). Zakon Ukrainy No. 37-38. 01.07.2014. Available at: http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18
- Kulbashna, Y., Iryna, S., Zakharova, V. (2019). Future Doctors’ Professional Competence Formation in Medical Universities with Innovative Pedagogical Technologies. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 7 (3), 231–242. doi: https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2019.73020
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Olena Ostapko, Natalia Bidenko, Olga Koval
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.