Practical classes for the foreign students at the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery of Bogomolets National Medical University in the conditions of martial law in Ukraine
Keywords:distance learning, medical education, surgical dentistry, practical classes, students
In the conditions of the martial law and COVID-19 pandemic restrictions on the territory of Ukraine, the blended form of education turned out to be the only possible form of the educational process. The article highlighted the peculiarities of conducting practical classes in the discipline "Surgical dentistry" with foreign students at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of the Bogomolets National Medical University (NMU) in the conditions of martial law in Ukraine. For the implementation and adequate virtual distance lerning at the University, LIKAR_NMU education platform, Zoom, Google Meet, the university website, the NMU library website, Skype, Telegram, Viber messengers, e-mail were used. However, the biggest disadvantage of distance learning was the lack of opportunity to work with the patient and acquire practical skills. Foreign students who returned to Ukraine (or being in Ukraine) attended offline training, mastered practical skills on phantoms and dummies, were present at surgical operations in the clinic, independently performed anesthesia under the guidance of a teacher, removed teeth, assisted in operations on the maxillofacial area. Due to video conferences, distance learning students also had the opportunity, to see the operations, carried out in the Bogomolets Dental Medical Center, online, in real time. Thanks to the technical capabilities and educational Internet platforms, which are actively used during distance learning by students and teachers of the university, the initial process of obtaining a modern higher medical education, in particular surgical stomatology and maxillofacial surgery, continues and improves in wartime conditions
- Kuchyn, Y. L., Lymar, L. V. (2022). Basic principles of organization of distance learning for medical students. Medical Education, 1, 30–37. doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/m.2414-5998.2022.1.12652
- Keegan, D. (2013). Foundations of distance education. Routledge, 224. doi: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315004822
- Lee, K., Fanguy, M., Lu, X. S., Bligh, B. (2021). Student learning during COVID-19: It was not as bad as we feared. Distance Education, 42 (1), 164–172. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/01587919.2020.1869529
- Stoehr, F., Müller, L., Brady, A., Trilla, A., Mähringer-Kunz, A., Hahn, F. et al. (2021). How COVID-19 kick-started online learning in medical education – The DigiMed study. PLOS ONE, 16 (9). doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0257394
- Rose, S. (2020). Medical Student Education in the Time of COVID-19. JAMA, 323 (21), 2131–2132. doi: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.5227
- Gorey, J. (2022). Teaching in a Pandemic: How Educators are Handling the Sudden Shift to Distance Learning. Available at: https://earthwatch.org/stories/teaching-pandemic-how-educators-are-handling-sudden-shift-distance-learning?gclid=Cj0KC-QiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrHIdSm8BlvqvwrKLWK0acBl387l4xt_-VdYi3ruRXz3BFnE-5rn2w0aAplREALw_wcB
- Pro orhanizatsiiu navchalnoho protsesu dlia studentiv 2–6 kursiv dennoi formy navchannia v osinno-zymovomu semestri 2022–2023 navchalnoho roku (2022). Nakaz NMU No. 451. 18.08.2022. Available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CW6VhUH7i7JARU2tMF-Un-55xEXx4yPo/view
- Tkachenko, L., Khmelnytska, O. (2021). Peculiarities of implementing distance learning in the educational process of a higher education institution. Pedagogy of the Formation of a Creative Person in Higher and Secondary Schools, 3 (75), 91–96. doi: https://doi.org/10.32840/1992-5786.2021.75-3.18
- Volosovets, O. P., Vyhovska, O. V., Kryvopustov, S. P., Kuzmenko, A. Y., Loginova, I. O., Cherny, O. F. et al. (2020). Distance learning as an information and communicative technology of the undergraduate training of pediatricians in the contemporary challenge. Medical Education, 3, 9–12. doi: https://doi.org/10.11603/me.2414-5998.2020.3.11435
- So, H. Y., Chen, P. P., Wong, G. K. C., Chan, T. T. N. (2019). Simulation in medical education. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 49 (1), 52–57. doi: https://doi.org/10.4997/jrcpe.2019.112
- Volovar, O. S., Malanchuk, V. O., Shevchuk, R. I. (2021). Khirurhichna stomatolohiia v umovakh karantynu na kafedri khirurhichnoi stomatolohii ta shchelepno-lytsevoi khirurhii NMU imeni O.O. Bohomoltsia. Materialy VII z’izdu Ukrainskoi asotsiatsii shchelepno-lytsevykh khirurhiv z mizhnarodnoiu uchastiu. Kyiv, 201–203.
- Volovar, O. S., Malanchuk, V. O., Shevchuk, R. I. (2021). Vykorystannia internet-platformy Zoom na praktychnykh zaniattiakh z dystsypliny «Khirurhichna stomatolohiia». Aktualni pytannia suchasnoi stomatolohii. Kyiv, 87–88.
- Veb-storinka kafedry khirurhichnoi stomatolohii ta shchelepno-lytsevoi khirurhii NMU imeni O. O. Bohomoltsia. Available at: https://nmuofficial.com/zagalni-vidomosti/kafedri/department-surgical-dentistry-maxillofacial-surgery/
- LIKAR_NMU. Navchalna platforma NMU imeni O. O. Bohomoltsia. Available at: https://likar.nmu.kiev.ua/
- Coursera. Navchalna platforma. Available at: https://coursera.org/
- Prometheus. Navchalna platforma. Available at: https://prometheus.org.ua/
- EdEra. Navchalna platforma. Available at: https://www.ed-era.com/
- KhanAcademy. Navchalna platforma. Available at: https://www.khanacademy.org/
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Oksana Volovar, Oksana Kryzhanivska, Volodymyr Shvydchenko, Mykola Oblap, Roman Shevchuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our journal abides by the Creative Commons CC BY copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the journal under the terms of a Creative Commons CC BY, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form in which it has been published by the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.