Electrochromism of Ni(OH)2 films obtained by cathode template method with addition of Al, Zn, Co ions
Keywords:nickel hydroxide, Ni(OH)2, electrochromism, electrodeposition, cathodic template synthesis, polyvinyl alcohol, layered double hydroxide
The films from mixed solutions of nickel-aluminum, nickel-zinc and nickel-cobalt have been prepared using the cathodic template synthesis with polyvinyl alcohol as a template. The prepared films have been studied by means of X-ray diffraction analysis, cyclic voltamperometry with simultaneous recording of the transparency change. The results have shown that the addition of aluminum and cobalt allows obtaining layered double hydroxides. However, the addition of aluminum leads not only to the formation of layered double hydroxide but also to poisoning of the active material.
In case of deposition from solutions containing cobalt, the obtained films have good electrochemical and electrochromic properties, and also two-stage color transition. The film obtained at a molar ratio of nickel to cobalt of 8:1 possesses the best electrochromic characteristics and coloration degree of 0.8, which is more than for the film obtained from nickel nitrate solution without additives of other metals by 0.2.
- Кovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Bolotin, O. (2016). Definition of factors influencing on Ni(OH)2 electrochemical characteristics for supercapacitors. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (6 (83)), 17–22. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.79406
- Kovalenko, V. L., Kotok, V. A., Sykchin, A. A., Mudryi, I. A., Ananchenko, B. A., Burkov, A. A. et. al. (2016). Nickel hydroxide obtained by high-temperature two-step synthesis as an effective material for supercapacitor applications. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 21 (3), 683–691. doi: 10.1007/s10008-016-3405-2
- Solovov, V., Кovalenko, V., Nikolenko, N., Kotok, V., Vlasova, E. (2017). Influence of temperature on the characteristics of Ni(II), Ti(IV) layered double hydroxides synthesised by different methods. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (6 (85)), 16–22. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2017.90873
- Huang, J.-J., Hwang, W.-S., Weng, Y.-C., Chou, T.-C. (2010). Transformation Characterization of Ni(OH)2/NiOOH in Ni-Pt Films Using an Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microbalance for Ethanol Sensors. Materials Transactions, 51 (12), 2294–2303. doi: 10.2320/matertrans.m2010079
- Niklasson, G. A., Granqvist, C. G. (2007). Electrochromics for smart windows: thin films of tungsten oxide and nickel oxide, and devices based on these. J. Mater. Chem., 17 (2), 127–156. doi: 10.1039/b612174h
- Cospito, S., Beneduci, A., Veltri, L., Salamonczyk, M., Chidichimo, G. (2015). Mesomorphism and electrochemistry of thienoviologen liquid crystals. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17 (27), 17670–17678. doi: 10.1039/c5cp02350e
- Lampert, C. M. (2004). Chromogenic smart materials. Materials Today, 7 (3), 28–35. doi: 10.1016/s1369-7021(04)00123-3
- Granqvist, C. G. (2014). Electrochromics for smart windows: Oxide-based thin films and devices. Thin Solid Films, 564, 1–38. doi: 10.1016/j.tsf.2014.02.002
- Browne, M. P. (2016). Electrochromic Nickel Oxide Films for Smart Window Applications. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 6636–6647. doi: 10.20964/2016.08.38
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The electrochemical cathodic template synthesis of nickel hydroxide thin films for electrochromic devices: role of temperature. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (86)), 28–34. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2017.97371
- Usha, K. S., Sivakumar, R., Sanjeeviraja, C., Sathe, V., Ganesan, V., Wang, T. Y. (2016). Improved electrochromic performance of a radio frequency magnetron sputtered NiO thin film with high optical switching speed. RSC Adv., 6 (83), 79668–79680. doi: 10.1039/c5ra27099e
- Velevska, J., Ristova, M. (2002). Electrochromic properties of NiOx prepared by low vacuum evaporation. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 73 (2), 131–139. doi: 10.1016/s0927-0248(01)00118-0
- Xia, X. H., Tu, J. P., Zhang, J., Wang, X. L., Zhang, W. K., Huang, H. (2008). Electrochromic properties of porous NiO thin films prepared by a chemical bath deposition. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 92 (6), 628–633. doi: 10.1016/j.solmat.2008.01.009
- Dalavi, D. S., Devan, R. S., Patil, R. S., Ma, Y.-R., Patil, P. S. (2013). Electrochromic performance of sol–gel deposited NiO thin film. Materials Letters, 90, 60–63. doi: 10.1016/j.matlet.2012.08.108
- Franta, D., Negulescu, B., Thomas, L., Dahoo, P. R., Guyot, M., Ohlidal, I. et. al. (2005). Optical properties of NiO thin films prepared by pulsed laser deposition technique. Applied Surface Science, 244 (1-4), 426–430. doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2004.09.150
- Sharma, R., Acharya, A. D., Shrivastava, S. B., Shripathi, T., Ganesan, V. (2014). Preparation and characterization of transparent NiO thin films deposited by spray pyrolysis technique. Optik – International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 125 (22), 6751–6756. doi: 10.1016/j.ijleo.2014.07.104
- Chigane, M. (1994). Enhanced Electrochromic Property of Nickel Hydroxide Thin Films Prepared by Anodic Deposition. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 141 (12), 3439. doi: 10.1149/1.2059350
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Ananchenko, B. А., Levko, E. N. (2014). The deposition of electrochromic film based on nikel hydroxide by electrochemical method. XV International scientific conference «New Technologies and achievements in metallurgy, materials engineering and production engineering». Czestochowa, 448–452.
- Hall, D. S., Lockwood, D. J., Bock, C., MacDougall, B. R. (2014). Nickel hydroxides and related materials: a review of their structures, synthesis and properties. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 471 (2174), 20140792–20140792. doi: 10.1098/rspa.2014.0792
- Ten'kovcev, V. V., Centr, B. I. (1985). Osnovy teorii i ehkspluatacii germetichnyh akkumulyatorov. Leningrad, 96.
- Liu, B., Wang, X. Y., Yuan, H. T., Zhang, Y. S., Song, D. Y., Zhou, Z. X. (1999). Physical and electrochemical characteristics of aluminium-substituted nickel hydroxide. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 29 (7), 853–858. doi: 10.1023/a:1003537900947
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.