Firmware implementation and experimental research of the phase-locked loop with improved noise immunity
Keywords:, phase-locked loop (PLL), modified phase detector (PD), narrowband filter (NBF)
This paper presents a method for improvement of the phase-locked loop (PLL) noise immunity by using a modified phase detector. The article shows structural diagram of the PLL with the modified phase detector and describes the criterion for choosing the parameters of the narrowband filter and the high-pass filter to prevent distortions of information signal. Simulation of both classical and modified devices was carried out to find a noise threshold, which causes phase-locked loop to unlock. Simulation results show that multiple cycle slips of synchronization in short period of time in modified PLL occur for higher levels of noise (by 1.5–4 dB depending on PLL parameters), than in classical PLL. Both devices were software implemented on FPGA (field programmable gate array) logic and experimental studies of their noise immunity were conducted. The results of experimental studies qualitatively correspond to simulation ones and show that the that noise threshold of the modified phase detector is greater up to 1–2.5 dB depending on the device parameters. Experimental research also shows that modified phase detector does not deteriorate the dynamic properties of whole device and even improves them in comparison to classical PLL.
- Vesolovskiy, K.; Ledovskiy, A. I. (Ed.) (2006). Sistemy podvizhnoy radiosvyazi. Moscow, 536.
- Jain, R. (2014). Wireless and Mobile Networking: Facts, Statistics and Trends. Available at: https://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cse574-14/ftp/j_02trn.pdf
- Akimov, V. N., Belyustina, L. N., Belyh, V. N. et. al.; Shahgil'dyan, V. V., Belyustina, L. N. (Eds.) (1982). Sistemy fazovoy sinhronizacii. Moscow: Radio i svyaz', 288.
- Proakis, J. G., Salehi, M. (2003). Communication Systems Engineering. New Jersey: McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., 801.
- Bondariev, A. P., Mandziy, B. A., Maksymiv, I. P. (2010). Detektuvannia bahatopozytsiynykh FM syhnaliv za nyzkoho vidnoshennia syhnal/shum. Visnyk Vinnytskoho politekhnichnoho instytutu, 4, 74–77.
- Bondariev, A., Maksymiv, I. (2015). Method of reducing the noise influence on phase – shift keying signals. American Journal of Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 1 (3), 120–124.
- Gorbatyy, I. V. (2014). Investigation of the technical efficiency of state-of-the-art telecommunication systems and networks with limited bandwidth and signal power. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 48 (1), 47–55. doi: https://doi.org/10.3103/s0146411614010039
- Sidorkina, Yu. A., Koval'chuk, A. A., Ryazanova, M. A. (2011). Vozdeystvie na sistemu sinhronizacii garmonicheskih pomekh i shuma. Nauka i obrazovanie: elektronnoe nauchno-tekhnicheskoe izdanie, 3, 3–25.
- Kychak, V. M., Tromsiuk, V. D. (2014). Pidvyshchennia zavadostiykosti pry pryiomi ChMn dyskretnykh syhnaliv. Vseukrainskyi mizhvidomchyi naukovo-tekhnichnyi zbirnyk "Radiotekhnika", 178, 24–30.
- Purkayastha, B. B., Sarma, K. K. (2015). A Digital Phase Locked Loop based Signal and Symbol Recovery System for Wireless Channel. Springer, 254. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-81-322-2041-1
- Best, R. E. (2003). Phase-locked loops: design, simulation, and applications (professional engineering). New York: McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., 436.
- Kumar, M. (2012). FPGA Implementation of ADPLL with Ripple Reduction Techniques. International Journal of VLSI Design & Communication Systems, 3 (2), 99–106. doi: https://doi.org/10.5121/vlsic.2012.3209
- Elshazly, A., Inti, R., Young, B., Hanumolu, P. K. (2013). Clock Multiplication Techniques Using Digital Multiplying Delay-Locked Loops. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, 48 (6), 1416–1428. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/jssc.2013.2254552
- Al-araji Saleh, R., Hussain, Z. M., Al-qutayri Mahmoud, A. (2006). Digital Phase Lock Loops. Springer, 191. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-32864-5
- Sithamparanathan, K. (2008). Digital-PLL Assisted Frequency Estimation with Improved Error Variance. IEEE GLOBECOM 2008 – 2008 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/glocom.2008.ecp.676
- Bondariev, A. P., Altunin, S. I. (2017). Investigation of Conditions of Synchronization Loss in Software Phase-Locked Loop. Visnyk Vinnytskoho politekhnichnoho instytutu, 2, 91–96.
- Polikarovskikh, O. I., Melnychuk, V. M. (2016). Analiz osnovnykh parametriv priamykh tsyfrovykh synezatoriv chastoty (DDS). Visnyk Khmelnytskoho natsionalnoho universytetu, 6, 157–163.
- Polikarovskykh, O. I. (2014). Fazove kolo yak osnova klasyfikatsiyi priamykh syntezatoriv chastoty. Visnyk Khmelnytskoho natsionalnoho universytetu, 5, 133–139.
- Bondariev, A. P., Altunin, S. I. (2017). Measurement of the phase-transfer function of the software phase-locked loop. 2017 International Conference on Information and Telecommunication Technologies and Radio Electronics (UkrMiCo). doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/ukrmico.2017.8095379
- Cifrovoy kontur FAPCH (digital PLL) i ego svoystva. Available at: http://www.dsplib.ru/content/dpll/dpll.html
- Xilinx “7 Series FPGAs Data Sheet: Overview”. Available at: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds180_7Series_Overview.pdf
- Altunin, S. I. (2017). Analysis of the static characteristics of the software phase-locked loop. Visnyk Khmelnytskoho natsionalnoho universytetu, 1, 121–126.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Andrii Bondariev, Serhii Altunin, Ivan Horbatyi, Ivan Maksymiv
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.