Evaluation of effectiveness of wood fire protection upon exposure to flame of magnesium
Keywords:fire resistance, coating, wood, weight loss, charring, temperature, flame, surface treatment
An analysis of unforeseen fires and explosions at ammunition storage sites was conducted and it was found that one of the biggest risks is their fire hazard as storage of such products is realized using wood, both in building construction and packaging products, and necessity of efficient fire retardant treatment was established. To determine efficiency when developing fire retardant coatings studies were conducted for the determination of the combustibility group of wood in terms of weight loss and raise of the flue gas temperature, and it was found that when treating of wood with coatings, the mass loss did not exceed 5 % and the temperature did not exceed 260 ºC. The results of the determination of the efficiency of fire retardant treatment of wood with geocement and organicmineral coatings showed that the material burnout and structural failure did not occur when exposed to hightemperature flame. Studies to determine the quality of the fire retardant treatment of wood with a coating have shown that the rate of wood charring in case of untreated sample was 2 mm/min, and in case of samples treated with fire retardant agents it did not exceed 0.5 mm/min which allowed us to conclude as to feasibility of the use of fire retardants based on inorganic and organic binding materials for the treatment of wooden structures. To assess the effectiveness of the fire retardant treatment of structures made of wood, the duration of magnesium flame impingement on the surface of the flame of wood treated with fire retardant agents was studied, and it was found that the sample treated with organicmineral protective coating prevented impact of high temperature and rate of wood charring more efficiently due to the creation of the swollen coke layer than coatings based on inorganic compounds, the mechanism of action of which was aimed at heat isolation.
- Kobelev, А. А., Pokrovskaya, Е. N. (2010). Komplexnaya otsenka pozharoopasnyh svoistv, a takzhe bio- i bio- vodostoikost drevesiny v prisutstvii ognezaschitnyh system na osnove forfor- i kremniiorganicheskih soedinenii. Vestnik MGSU, 1, 275–283.
- Guzii, S., Tsapko, Yu., Kravchenko, A., Remenets, M. (2016). Fire Protection of wooden storage containers for explosive and pyrotechnic products. Eureka: Physics and Engineering Sciences, 2, 34–42. doi: 10.21303/2461-4262.2016.00059
- Sakkas, K., Sofianos, A., Nomikos, P., Panias, D. (2015). Behaviour of Passive Fire Protection K-Geopolymer under Successive Severe Fire Incidents. Materials, 8 (9), 6096–6104. doi: 10.3390/ma8095294
- Kravchenko, A., Guzii, S., Tsapko, Y., Petranek, V. (2015). Research of Fire-Retardant Properties of Timber Constructions, Protected Geocement-Based Coating, after their Operation. Advanced Materials Research, 1122, 7–10. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/amr.1122.7
- Gyvlyoud, M. M., Bashynskiy, О. І., Vovk, S. Ya. (2011). Temperaturostiyki sylikatni zahysni pokryttya dlya metaliv ta splaviv na osnovi napovnenogo polimetylfenilsyloksanu. Zbirnyk naukovyh prazch Lvivskogo derzhavnogo universytetu BZHD, 18, 40-45.
- Antsupov, E. V., Rodivilov, S. M. (2011). Antipireny dlya poristyh materialov. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 20 (5), 25-32.
- Futterer, Th. (2007). New developments in intumescent fire-protection-combinations for thermoplastic. Fire Retardant Coating II: Proceeding II European Conference, 69–101.
- Nenahov, S. A. (2010). Fiziko-himiya vspenivayouschihsiya ognezaschitnyh pokrytiy na osnove polifosfata amoniya. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost, 19 (8), 11-58.
- Kravchenko, A. V., Guzii, S. G., Kryvenko, P. V., Tsapko, Yu. V. (2014). Pat. 95440 UA, MPK С09К 21/02. Vognezahysne pokryttya dlya derevyny. № u 201407260; declareted: 27.06.2014; published: 25.12.2014, Bul. 24.
- Tihonov, V. N. (1973). Analiticheskaya himiya magniya. Мoscow: Nauka, 254.
- Tsapko, Yu. V., Tsapko, O. Yu. (2012). Vyznachennya chasu vynyknennya ta tryvalosti pozhezhi za urazhenymy derevyanymy konstruktsiyamy. Kriminalistika i sudebnaya ekspertiza, 57, 91–96.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Yuriy Tsapko, Sergii Guzii, Mykhailo Remenets, Anastasiia Kravchenko, Oleksii Tsapko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.