Effect of ecologically safe gas-aerosol mixtures on the velocity of explosive combustion of n-heptane
Keywords:retarder, inhibitor of combustion, fire-extinguishing aerosol, combined extinguishing, aerosol-forming compound
To solve the problem of effective retardation, researchers propose to use mostly gases, powders and their mixtures, as well as, in some cases, khladons and their mixtures with gases. Given the characteristics of known agents of volumetric fire-extinguishing, they share common shortcomings: devices are rather sizeable, gas storage requires a significant number of cylinders, powders need rather big containers, in which they tend to clod. In addition, it takes too long to supply the above-mentioned substances compared with the velocity of explosion front propagation.
Determining an influence of the addition of gas-aerosol mixtures on the velocity of flame propagation throughout stoichiometric n-heptane-air mixture will make it possible to define effective concentrations and ratios of fire-extinguishing aerosol and gases СО2 and N2 on the velocity of flame propagation throughout a combustible homogeneous mixture, which will guide towards a more efficient use of gas-aerosol mixtures in order to prevent explosions and fires.
Present research shows high effectiveness of influence of the addition of a binary mixture of fire-extinguishing aerosol and gases СО2 and N2 on a decrease in velocity of flame of the homogeneous heptane-air mixture. It was experimentally found that the influence of binary mixtures on the stoichiometric n-heptane-air mixture decreases the flame propagation velocity by up to 6.5 times, compared with the original velocity of flame propagation throughout the stoichiometric mixture. Thus, even small addition of binary gas-aerosol mixtures to the homogeneous combustible systems decreases explosion power and prevents the occurrence of detonation in them. Fire-extinguishing concentrations of aerosol and gases in this case decreases considerably due to synergy between them.
Determining the effect of binary gas-air mixtures on the velocity of flame propagation throughout homogeneous combustible mixtures allows us to define conditions for effective anti-explosive and fire-retardant protection of sites with the presence of flammable, combustible and explosive media and substances.
- Linteris, G. T. (2009). Clean Agent Suppression of Energized Electrical Equipment Fires. Fire Technology, 47 (1), 1–68. doi: 10.1007/s10694-009-0109-5
- Su, J. Z., Kim, A. K., Crampton, G. P., Liu, Z. (2001). Fire Suppression with Inert Gas Agents. Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, 11 (2), 72–87. doi: 10.1106/x21v-yqku-pmkp-xgtp
- Senecal, J. A. (2005). Flame extinguishing in the cup-burner by inert gases. Fire Safety Journal, 40 (6), 579–591. doi: 10.1016/j.firesaf.2005.05.008
- Balanyuk, V., Kozyar, N., Garasimyuk, O., Lozinskiy, A. (2016). The influence of CO2 additives on fire extinguishing efficiency of binary aerosol-gas mixture. Pozhezhna Bezpeka, 28, 6–12.
- Moore, T. A., Yamada, N. (1998). Nitrogen gas as a halon replacement. Halon Options Technical Working Conference, 330–338.
- Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer. 1998 Assessment Report of the Technology and Economic Assessment Panel. Available at: http://apps.unep.org/redirect.php?file=/publications/pmtdocuments/-Technology%20and%20economic%20assessment%20panel-19981871.pdf
- United Nations Environment Programme (2010). Ozone Secretariat. Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion.
- Semenov, N. N. (1940). Teplovaya teoriya goreniya i zryivov. Uspekhi Fizicheskih Nauk, 23 (3), 251–292. doi: 10.3367/ufnr.0023.194003b.0251
- Balanyuk, V., Grimalyuk, B. (2004). Doslidzhennya vplivu Inertnih gazovih rozrizhuvachiv na efektivnist vognegasnih aerozoliv. Pozhezhna Bezpeka, 5, 8–12.
- Balanyuk, V., Zhurbinskiy, A. (2013). Phlegmatisation of flammable gas mixtures by aerosol sprays. BiTP, 32 (4), 53–58.
- Filipczak, R. A. (1993). Relative Fxtinguishment Fffectiveness and Agent Decomposition products of Halon Alternative Agents. Halon Alternatives Technical Working Conference 1993, 149–159.
- Ewing, C. T., Faith, F. R., Romans, J. B., Hughes, J. T., Carhart, H. W. (1992). Flame Extinguishment Properties of Dry Chemicals: Extinction Weights for Small Diffusion Pan Fires and Additional Evidence for Flame Extinguishment by Thermal Mechanisms. Journal of Fire Protection Engineering, 4 (2), 35–51. doi: 10.1177/104239159200400201
- Dewitte, M., Vrebosch, J., van Tiggelen, A. (1964). Inhibition and extinction of premixed flames by dust particles. Combustion and Flame, 8 (4), 257–266. doi: 10.1016/0010-2180(64)90079-3
- Mchale, E. T. (1975). Flame inhibition by potassium compounds. Combustion and Flame, 24, 277–279. doi: 10.1016/0010-2180(75)90159-5
- Mitani, T., Nhoka, T. (1982). Comparison of experiments and theory on heterogeneous flame suppressants. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 19 (1), 869–875. doi: 10.1016/s0082-0784(82)80262-2
- Yongfeng, Z., Xiang, J., Guangxuan, L., Ni, X. (2007). Experimental Study of the Fire-extinguishing Effectiveness of 1-Bromo- 3,3,3-Trifluoropropene/Nitrogen Mixtures. Journal of Fire Sciences, 25 (2), 177–187. doi: 10.1177/0734904107067914
- Lott, J. L., Christian, S. D., Sliepcevich, C. M., Tucker, E. E. (1996). Synergism between chemical and physical fire-suppressant agents. Fire Technology, 32 (3), 260–271. doi: 10.1007/bf01040218
- Saito, N., Saso, Y., Ogawa, Y., Otsu, Y., Kikui, H. (1997). Fire Extinguishing Effect Of Mixed Agents Of Halon 1301 And Inert Gases. Fire Safety Science, 5, 901–910. doi: 10.3801/iafss.fss.5-901
- Balanyuk, V. M. (2015). The effectiveness of open space fire extinguishing with flammable liquid fighting aerosols. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (10 (77)), 4–11. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2015.51399
- Smith, F. A., Kimmel, E. C., English, J. H., Carpenter, R. L. (1995). The assessment of toxicity after exposure to a pyrotechnically generated aerosole. HOTWC, 521–532.
- Tischenko, A. M. (1999). Kombinirovannoe pozharotushenie inertnyimi gazami s odnovremennyim ingibirovaniem ochagov goreniya poroshkovyimi smesyami. Problemy pozharnoi bezopasnosti, 6, 159–162.
- Byikov, S. A., Otkidach, N. Ya., Tischenko, A. M. (2003). Eksperimentalnoe obosnovanie kombinirovannogo primeneniya azota s ognetushaschimi poroshkami dlya protivopozharnoy zaschityi ob'ektov. Problemy pozharnoi bezopasnosti, 14, 55–59.
- Blanc, M. V., Guest, P. G., von Elbe, G., Lewis, B. (1947). Ignition of Explosive Gas Mixtures by Electric Sparks. I. Minimum Ignition Energies and Quenching Distances of Mixtures of Methane, Oxygen, and Inert Gases. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 15 (11), 798–802. doi: 10.1063/1.1746337
- Chen, Z., Wei, L., Gu, X., Huang, Z., Yuan, T., Li, Y., Tian, Z. (2010). Study of Low-Pressure Premixed Dimethyl Ether/Hydrogen/Oxygen/Argon Laminar Flames with Photoionization Mass Spectrometry. Energy & Fuels, 24 (3), 1628–1635. doi: 10.1021/ef901314r
- Qiao, L., Gan, Y., Nishiie, T., Dahm, W. J. A., Oran, E. S. (2010). Extinction of premixed methane/air flames in microgravity by diluents: Effects of radiation and Lewis number. Combustion and Flame, 157 (8), 1446–1455. doi: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.04.004
- Balanyuk, V. M. (2016). Specific Nature of Phlegmatizing Air-Heptan Mixture using Aerosol and Nitrogen Binary Mixture. BiTP, 44 (4), 139–149.
- Nikon 1 J4. Available at: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/j4/spec.htm
- Balanyuk, V., Kozyar, N., Garasyumyk, O. (2016). Study of fire–extinguishing efficiency of environmentally friendly binary aerosol-nitrogen mixtures. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (10 (81)), 4–12. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.72399
- Agafonov, V. V., Kopylov, N. P. (1997). Aerosol Extinguishing System: Elements and Characteristics, Design, Erection and Operation. VNIIPO, 232.
- Balanyuk, V. M., Kozyar, N. M., Garasim’yuk, O. I. (2016). The usage of gas and aerosol powder extinguishing mixtures for protection of incendiary mixtures. ScienceRise, 5 (2 (22)), 10–14. doi: 10.15587/2313-8416.2016.69333
- Balanyuk, V. M., Garasimyuk, O. I. (2015). Kombinovane aerozolno-poroshkove pozhezhogasinnya. Pozhezhna bezpeka, 26, 7–12.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Volodymyr Balanyuk, Vasily Kovalishin, Nazariy Kozyar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.