Examining the current of drilling mud in a power section of the screw downhole motor
Keywords:screw down-hole motor, pair "rotor-stator", drilling mud, modelling, parametric fields
By using the module Flow Simulation from the programming environment SolidWorks, we obtained parametric fields of turbulent flow of drilling mud in the subject of research – a power section of the screw down-hole motor (SDM). The subject of research is the characteristics of turbulence of the drilling mud flow. An analysis of the obtained model parametric fields of turbulent flow of drilling mud in the power section of SDM shows two distinctive regions that differ by the characteristics of turbulence in the drilling mud current. These sections are localized in the neighborhood of contact points "rotor-stator", and along the distance between these points. In the first section, the developed flow turbulence almost disappears; the dissipation of flow energy significantly decreases. In the second section, there is a developed turbulence of drilling mud, which causes increased dissipation of flow energy and a possible damage to the stator by a solid phase of drilling mud. Vorticity of drilling mud in this region reaches the maximum values of 1,875.7 s-1. Turbulent time scale in the second region reaches the minimum values of 0.001 s, and the metrical scale of pulsations is comparatively small – from 0.011 to 5.666 m, indicating the presence of small-scale turbulent vortices and the elevated dissipation of flow energy. Thus, the second section is the most vulnerable to a damage to the stator by a solid phase of drilling mud.
An endoscopic examination of the surface of the SDM stator, which we conducted, revealed damage to its working surface, specifically deep scratches, guide scratches, cavities. Localization of damage is from the middle and to the tail part of the power section at a distance of 2.53−4.78 m from the beginning of the power section of SDM.The models obtained are recommended for using in hydraulic calculations of SDM, for choosing a rational mode of its operation
- Ismakov, R., Zakirov, N., Al-Suhili, M., Toropov, E. (2015). Issledovanie raboty pary «elastomer – metall» silovoy sekcii vintovogo zaboynogo dvigatelya. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2.
- Ovchinnikov, V. P., Dvoynikov, M. V., Bud'ko, A. V., Prolubshchikov, S. V. (2007). K voprosu prodleniya sroka sluzhby vintovyh zaboynyh dvigateley. Burenie i neft', 10, 40–46.
- Andoskin, V. N., Vyguzov, A. M., Kuznecov, A. V., Hayrullin, D. N., Novikov, R. S. (2014). Vintovye zaboynye dvigateli firmy «Radius-Servis». Burenie i neft', 11, 50–53.
- Ba, S., Pushkarev, M., Kolyshkin, A., Song, L., Yin, L. L. (2016). Positive Displacement Motor Modeling: Skyrocketing the Way We Design, Select, and Operate Mud Motors. Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference. doi: 10.2118/183298-ms
- Syzrantseva, K., Syzrantsev, V. (2016). Load on Multipair Contact Zones of Operating Parts of Screw Pumps and Motors: A Computer Analysis. Procedia Engineering, 150, 768–774. doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2016.07.104
- Weng, W., Yue, W., Shi, X., Huang, Y. (2013). Failure Analysis of the Rotor of Downhole Drilling Motors. ICPTT 2013. doi: 10.1061/9780784413142.089
- Epikhin, A. V., Ushakov, A. V., Barztaikin, V. V., Melnikov, V. V., Ulyanova, S. (2015). Experimental research of drilling mud influence on mud motor mechanical rubber components. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 27, 012051. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/27/1/012051
- Ismakov, R., Al-Suhili, M. (2015). Issledovanie vliyaniy razlichnyih reagentov na rabotu silovoy sektsii vintovyih zaboynyih dvigateley. Elektronnyy nauchnyy zhurnal «Neftegazovoe delo», 1, 64–78.
- Sazonov, I. A., Mokhov, M. A., Demidova, A. A. (2016). Development of Small Hydraulic Downhole Motors for Well Drilling Applications. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 13 (10), 1053–1059. doi: 10.3844/ajassp.2016.1053.1059
- Delpassand, M. S. (1999). Stator Life of a Positive Displacement Downhole Drilling Motor. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 121 (2), 110. doi: 10.1115/1.2795065
- Biletskyi, V., Landar, S., Mishchuk, Y. (2017). Modeling of the power section of downhole screw motors. Mining of Mineral Deposits, 11 (3), 15–22. doi: 10.15407/mining11.03.015
- SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation. Available at: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/simulation/flow-simulation.htm
- The Future of SolidWorks Has ‘Always’ Been in Your Hands. Available at: http://blog.dasisolutions.com/2011/09/27/the-future-of-solidworks-has-always-been-in-your-hands/
- Ludwig, B., Clemens, S. (1998). Lehrbuch der Experimental-physik. Band 1: Mechanik, Relativität, Wärme. Berlin.
- Frost, W., Moulden, T. H. (Eds.) (1977). Handbook of Turbulence. Vol. 1. Fundamentals and Applications. Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4684-2322-8
- Kurbackiy, A. F. (2000). Vvedenie v turbulentnost'. Novosibirsk, 118.
- O’Neill, P. L., Nicolaides, D., Honnery, D., Soria, J. (2004). Autocorrelation Functions and the Determination of Integral Length with Reference to Experimental and Numerical Data. 15th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253210572_Autocorrelation_Functions_and_the_Determination_of_Integral_Length_with_Reference_to_Experimental_and_Numerical_Data
- Monin, A. S., Yaglom, A. M. (1992). Statistical hydromechanics: the theory of turbulence. Мoscow: Science. Ch. Ed. fiz.-mat. lit., 695.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Volodymyr Biletsky, Vitaliy Vitryk, Yuliya Mishchuk, Mykhailo Fyk, Andriy Dzhus, Julia Kovalchuk, Taras Romanyshyn, Andriy Yurych
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.