Material selection for the mesh electrode of electrochromic device based on Ni(OH)2
Keywords:Ni(OH)2, nickel hydroxide, electrochromic device, mesh electrode, counter-electrode, silver, silver oxide, specific capacity, skylights.
In this study, we propose changes to the cell design in order to reduce the cost of electrochromic devices. The modification lies in the replacement of the second electrochromic layer along with its conductive layer with the mesh metal-oxide electrode. This variant of the electrochromic device is proposed to be installed in light windows and upper parts of view windows.
For the proposed mesh electrode, a few possible electrochemical systems were proposed: Cu|Cu2O, Zn|ZnO, Ni|NiO and Ag|AgO. By means of cyclic voltammetry, the working parameters of these systems were found – working potential windows and specific peak current. Based on the obtained data, the silver electrode proved to be the most promising.
The chosen electrode was studied by means of cyclic voltammetry and galvanostatic cycling. It was found that the specific capacity of the silver electrode does not have a strong dependence on the current density of oxidation and reduction. Minimum and maximum specific capacities of the studied electrode were found, which in 0.1 M КОН were 0.075 mA·h/cm2 (cyclic voltammetry) and 0.082–0.042 mA·h/cm2 (galvanostatic cycling). It was also found that during electrochemical cycling in 0.1 M KОН, the following transformations occur Ag↔Ag2O and Ag2O↔AgO.
Based on the obtained data, at the specific capacity of the main (electrochromic) electrode of 0.011 mA·h/cm2, it is proposed to use a mesh with a 2x2 cell and wire diameter of 0.5 mm. It was found that the cost of the silver mesh can be decreased by using a silver plated copper mesh instead.
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2018). A study of the effect of cycling modes on the electrochromic properties of Ni(OH)2 films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (5 (96)), 62–69. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.150577
- Casini, M. (2014). Smart windows for energy efficiency of buildings. Proc. of the Second Intl. Conf. on Advances In Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering- ACSEE 2014, 273–281.
- Smart Windows: Energy Efficiency with a View. Available at: https://www.nrel.gov/news/features/2010/1555.html
- Al Dakheel, J., Tabet Aoul, K. (2017). Building Applications, Opportunities and Challenges of Active Shading Systems: A State-of-the-Art Review. Energies, 10 (10), 1672. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/en10101672
- Smart Windows: Electrochromic Windows for Building Optimisation. Available at: https://www.sageglass.com/sites/default/files/masdar_technology_journal_issue_5_september_2018_smart_windows.pdf
- Lee, E. S., Yazdanian, M., Selkowitz, S. E. (2004). The Energy-Savings Potential of Electrochromic Windows in the US Commercial Buildings Sector. LBNL-54966. Available at: https://facades.lbl.gov/cec-electrochromics/refs/LBNL-54966.pdf
- Allen, K., Connelly, K., Rutherford, P., Wu, Y. (2017). Smart windows – Dynamic control of building energy performance. Energy and Buildings, 139, 535–546. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.12.093
- Zhang, J., Tu, J. P., Xia, X. H., Qiao, Y., Lu, Y. (2009). An all-solid-state electrochromic device based on NiO/WO3 complementary structure and solid hybrid polyelectrolyte. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 93 (10), 1840–1845. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2009.06.025
- Runnerstrom, E. L., Llordés, A., Lounis, S. D., Milliron, D. J. (2014). Nanostructured electrochromic smart windows: traditional materials and NIR-selective plasmonic nanocrystals. Chem. Commun., 50 (73), 10555–10572. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c4cc03109a
- Alesanco, Y., Viñuales, A., Rodriguez, J., Tena-Zaera, R. (2018). All-in-One Gel-Based Electrochromic Devices: Strengths and Recent Developments. Materials, 11 (3), 414. doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11030414
- Wei, Y., Chen, M., Liu, W., Li, L., Yan, Y. (2017). Electrochemical investigation of electrochromic devices based on NiO and WO3 films using different lithium salts electrolytes. Electrochimica Acta, 247, 107–115. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2017.07.016
- Patel, K. J., Bhatt, G. G., Ray, J. R., Suryavanshi, P., Panchal, C. J. (2016). All-inorganic solid-state electrochromic devices: a review. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 21 (2), 337–347. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-016-3408-z
- Patel, K. J., Desai, M. S., Panchal, C. J. (2014). Studies of ZrO2 electrolyte thin-film thickness on the all-solid thin-film electrochromic devices. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 19 (1), 275–279. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-014-2600-2
- Kraft, A. (2018). Electrochromism: a fascinating branch of electrochemistry. ChemTexts, 5 (1). doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40828-018-0076-x
- Cheng, W., Moreno-Gonzalez, M., Hu, K., Krzyszkowski, C., Dvorak, D. J., Weekes, D. M. et. al. (2018). Solution-Deposited Solid-State Electrochromic Windows. iScience, 10, 80–86. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2018.11.014
- Price Performance. Available at: http://www.optitune.com/price-performance.php
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2019). Non-Metallic Films Electroplating on the Low-Conductivity Substrates: The Conscious Selection of Conditions Using Ni(OH)2 Deposition as an Example. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 166 (10), D395–D408. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0561910jes
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2019). Optimization of the deposition conditions for Ni(OH)2 films for electrochromic elements of “smart” windows. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (5 (98)), 35–40. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.162572
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Zima, A. S., Kirillova, E. A., Burkov, A. A., Kobylinska, N. G. et. al. (2019). Optimization of electrolyte composition for the cathodic template deposition of Ni(OH)2-based electrochromic films on FTO glass. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14 (2), 344–353.
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, P. V., Ananchenko, B. A. (2018). Effect of deposition time on properties of electrochromic nickel hydroxide films prepared by cathodic template synthesis. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13 (9), 3076–3086.
- Kotok, V. A., Malyshev, V. V., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2017). Soft Electrochemical Etching of FTO-Coated Glass for Use in Ni(OH)2-Based Electrochromic Devices. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 6 (12), P772–P777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0071712jss
- Huang, J., Yang, Z., Wang, R., Zhang, Z., Feng, Z., Xie, X. (2015). Zn–Al layered double oxides as high-performance anode materials for zinc-based secondary battery. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3 (14), 7429–7436. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c5ta00279f
- Yue, D., Guo, C., Yan, X., Wang, R., Fang, M., Wu, Y. et. al. (2019). Secondary battery inspired NiO nanosheets with rich Ni(III) defects for enhancing persulfates activation in phenolic waste water degradation. Chemical Engineering Journal, 360, 97–103. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2018.11.201
- Najafi, M., Abedini, A. (2019). The effect of dimensional ratio and proportion of micron-nanoparticles on discharge performance of silver (ІІ) oxide cathode. Ionics, 25 (7), 3269–3276. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11581-019-02880-2
- Umamaheswari, S., Paruthimal Kalaignan, G., Gopalan, A., Vasudevan, T. (1999). Development of cadmium electrode for alkaline secondary battery system. Bulletin of Electrochemistry, 15 (9), 427–432.
- Richardson, T. J., Slack, J. L., Rubin, M. D. (2001). Electrochromism in copper oxide thin films. Electrochimica Acta, 46 (13-14), 2281–2284. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0013-4686(01)00397-8
- Richardson, T. (2003). New electrochromic mirror systems. Solid State Ionics, 165 (1-4), 305–308. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2003.08.047
- Predel'no dopustimye kontsentratsii soderzhaniya osnovnyh neorganicheskih veshchestv v pit'evoy vode. Available at: https://www.water.ru/bz/param/neorg.php
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Kovalenko, P. V., Solovov, V. A., Deabate, S., Mehdi, A. et. al. (2017). Advanced electrochromic Ni(OH)2/PVA films formed by electrochemical template synthesis. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 12 (13), 3962–3977.
- Tsena na serebro za 5 g. Available at: https://www.prostobank.ua/spravochniki/bankovskie_metally/2/3
- Kovalenko, V. L., Kotok, V. A., Sykchin, A. A., Mudryi, I. A., Ananchenko, B. A., Burkov, A. A. et. al. (2016). Nickel hydroxide obtained by high-temperature two-step synthesis as an effective material for supercapacitor applications. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 21 (3), 683–691. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-016-3405-2
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The properties investigation of the faradaic supercapacitor electrode formed on foamed nickel substrate with polyvinyl alcohol using. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (12 (88)), 31–37. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.108839
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.