Characteristics investigation of composite electrochromic films based on Ni(Oh)2, polyvinyl alcohol, and polyvinylpyrrolidone
Keywords:electrochromism, nickel hydroxide, polyvinyl alcohol, polyvinylpyrrolidone, optical characteristics, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy
The cost of electrochromic “smart” windows ranges from 200–800 USD/m2. The high cost is determined by the small volume of production and the high cost of vacuum methods for applying device layers. The development of other methods could lead to lower costs and further mass use of “smart” windows.
The paper presents the work on improving the electrochemical method of deposition of electrochromic films based on Ni(OH)2. Composite electrochromic films were deposited from Ni(NO3)2 solutions with the addition of water-soluble polymers – polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), and mixtures thereof. Two PVA grades and one PVP grade were used in the experiments. As a result, six films were obtained from solutions of different compositions and concentrations of polymers.
An investigation of the optical properties of the films in the initial state showed that there is no intense absorption of light in the entire visible spectrum and the transmission corresponds to a glass substrate. Thus, the formed electrochromic films will not produce tints and visible light absorption in the finished electrochromic element.
The electrochemical and electrochromic characteristics of the films differed significantly depending on the amount and specific polymers used. The film obtained from a solution containing PVA grade 24-99 was the most electrochemically active, while the best electrochromic characteristics were in the film deposited from a solution of a mixture of PVP grade 24-99 and PVP. Moreover, the films obtained in solutions containing separately PVA grade 24-99 and PVP had worse electrochromic characteristics, and the electrochemical characteristics were the same or worse relative to the film obtained in a mixture of polymers.
The results of the method of electrochemical impedance spectroscopy showed compliance with the found electrochromic and electrochemical characteristics of the formed films.
- Kumaravel, S., Karthick, K., Sankar, S. S., Karmakar, A., Madhu, R., Bera, K., Kundu, S. (2021). Current progressions in transition metal based hydroxides as bi-functional catalysts towards electrocatalytic total water splitting. Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 5 (24), 6215–6268. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/d1se01193f
- Gautam, R. K., Singh, A. K., Tiwari, I. (2022). Nanoscale layered double hydroxide modified hybrid nanomaterials for wastewater treatment: A review. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 350, 118505. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2022.118505
- Lee, H., Hong, A., Kwak, J., Lee, S. (2022). Synthesis of UV/blue light-emitting aluminum hydroxide with oxygen vacancy and their application to electrically driven light-emitting diodes. RSC Advances, 12 (7), 4322–4328. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/d1ra07942e
- Londhe, S., Patra, C. R. (2022). Biomedical applications of europium hydroxide nanorods. Nanomedicine, 17 (1), 5–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2021-0351
- Grobelny, Z., Jurek-Suliga, J., Golba, S. (2020). Application of cesium hydroxide monohydrate for ring opening polymerization of monosubstituted oxiranes: characterization of synthesized polyether-diols. Polymer Bulletin, 78 (12), 7301–7312. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00289-020-03480-1
- Hall, D. S., Lockwood, D. J., Bock, C., MacDougall, B. R. (2015). Nickel hydroxides and related materials: a review of their structures, synthesis and properties. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 471 (2174), 20140792. doi: https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2014.0792
- Bertuol, D. A., Bernardes, A. M., Tenório, J. A. S. (2009). Spent NiMH batteries – The role of selective precipitation in the recovery of valuable metals. Journal of Power Sources, 193 (2), 914–923. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.05.014
- Kovalenko, V. L., Kotok, V. A., Sykchin, A., Ananchenko, B. A., Chernyad’ev, A. V., Burkov, A. A. et. al. (2020). Al3+ Additive in the Nickel Hydroxide Obtained by High-Temperature Two-Step Synthesis: Activator or Poisoner for Chemical Power Source Application? Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167 (10), 100530. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/1945-7111/ab9a2a
- Trotochaud, L., Young, S. L., Ranney, J. K., Boettcher, S. W. (2014). Nickel–Iron Oxyhydroxide Oxygen-Evolution Electrocatalysts: The Role of Intentional and Incidental Iron Incorporation. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136 (18), 6744–6753. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja502379c
- Djafri, D. E., Henni, A., Zerrouki, D. (2022). Electrochemical synthesis of highly stable and rapid switching electrochromic Ni(OH)2 nanoflake array films as low-cost method. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 279, 125704. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2022.125704
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The electrochemical cathodic template synthesis of nickel hydroxide thin films for electrochromic devices: role of temperature. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (86)), 28–34. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.97371
- Wang, W., Li, Z., Yu, Z., Su, G. (2021). The stabilization of Ni(OH)2 by In2O3 rods and the electrochromic performance of Ni(OH)2/In2O3-rod composite porous film. Thin Solid Films, 734, 138839. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2021.138839
- Zhao, F., He, H., Cheng, Z., Tang, Y., Li, G., Xu, G. et. al. (2022). Improving electrochromic performance of porous nickel oxide electrode via Cu doping. Electrochimica Acta, 417, 140332. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2022.140332
- Parmar, K. H., Manjunath, V., Bimli, S., Chikate, P. R., Patil, R. A., Ma, Y.-R., Devan, R. S. (2022). Stable and reversible electrochromic behaviors in anodic NiO thin films. Chinese Journal of Physics, 77, 143–150. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjph.2022.02.014
- Kotok, V. A., Malyshev, V. V., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2017). Soft Electrochemical Etching of FTO-Coated Glass for Use in Ni(OH)2-Based Electrochromic Devices. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 6 (12), P772–P777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0071712jss
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Anataichuk, I., Mochalov, A., Makarchenko, N., Nafeev, R., Verbitskiy, V. (2020). Effect of variable temperature loads on characteristics of electrochrome composite Ni (OH)2-PVA films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (5 (108)), 6–14. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.220302
- Tan, S., Gao, L., Wang, W., Gu, X., Hou, J., Su, G. (2022). Preparation and black-white electrochromic performance of the non-contact ZnO@NiO core-shell rod array. Surfaces and Interfaces, 30, 101889. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfin.2022.101889
- Bo, G., Wang, X., Wang, K., Gao, R., Dong, B., Cao, L., Su, G. (2017). Preparation and electrochromic performance of NiO/TiO2 nanorod composite film. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 728, 878–886. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.08.247
- Wang, X., Liu, B., Tang, J., Dai, G., Dong, B., Cao, L. et. al. (2019). Preparation of Ni(OH)2/TiO2 porous film with novel structure and electrochromic property. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 191, 108–116. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2018.11.005
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Kovalenko, P. V., Solovov, V. A., Deabate, S., Mehdi, A. et. al. (2017). Advanced electrochromic Ni(OH)2/PVA films formed by electrochemical template synthesis. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 12 (13), 3962–3977. Available at: http://www.arpnjournals.org/jeas/research_papers/rp_2017/jeas_0717_6156.pdf
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2020). Influence of used polyvinyl alcohol grade on the electrochromic properties of Ni(OH)2-PVA composite films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (6 (107)), 58–65. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.214239
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Zima, O., Nafeev, R., Verbitskiy, V., Melnyk, O. (2022). Definition of the role of polyvinyl alcohol during formation and in the structure of cathodic synthesized composite electrochromic nickel hydroxide layer: template or surfactant. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (12 (116)), 6–14. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2022.255482
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2020). A study of the influence of polyvinyl pyrrolidone concentration in the deposition electrolyte on the properties of electrochromic Ni(OH)2 films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (6 (106)), 31–37. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2020.210857
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Zima, A. S., Kirillova, E. A. Burkov, A. A., Kobylinska, N. G. et. al. (2019). Optimization of electrolyte composition for the cathodic template deposition of Ni(OH)2-based electrochromic films on FTO glass. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14 (2), 344–353. Available at: http://www.arpnjournals.org/jeas/research_papers/rp_2019/jeas_0119_7562.pdf
- Mortimer, R. J., Sialvi, M. Z., Varley, T. S., Wilcox, G. D. (2014). An in situ colorimetric measurement study of electrochromism in the thin-film nickel hydroxide/oxyhydroxide system. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 18 (12), 3359–3367. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-014-2618-5
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Nafeev, R., Verbitskiy, V., Melnyk, O., Plaksiienko, I. et. al. (2021). A study of physico-chemical characteristics of electrochromic Ni(OH)2-PVA films on fto glass with different deposition duration. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (113)), 39–46. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.242853
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2019). Optimization of the deposition conditions for Ni(OH)2 films for electrochromic elements of “smart” windows. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (5 (98)), 35–40. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.162572
- Inamdar, A. I., Sonavane, A. C., Pawar, S. M., Kim, Y., Kim, J. H., Patil, P. S. et. al. (2011). Electrochromic and electrochemical properties of amorphous porous nickel hydroxide thin films. Applied Surface Science, 257 (22), 9606–9611. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.06.079
- Shi, J., Lai, L., Zhang, P., Li, H., Qin, Y., Gao, Y. et. al. (2016). Aluminum doped nickel oxide thin film with improved electrochromic performance from layered double hydroxides precursor in situ pyrolytic route. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 241, 1–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssc.2016.05.032
- Li, Z., Yu, Z., Wang, W., Hou, J., Gao, L., Gu, X., Su, G. (2021). Nickel oxide film with tertiary hierarchical porous structure and high electrochromic performance and stability. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 269, 124738. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2021.124738
- Bakhoum, D. T., Oyedotun, K. O., Sarr, S., Sylla, N. F., Maphiri, V. M., Ndiaye, N. M. et. al. (2022). A study of porous carbon structures derived from composite of cross-linked polymers and reduced graphene oxide for supercapacitor applications. Journal of Energy Storage, 51, 104476. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2022.104476
- Liu, Y., Wang, N., Wang, X., Huang, W. (2021). PVA/PVP crosslinked blend membranes for pervaporation dehydration of 2-methyltetrahydrofuran solution. Xiandai Huagong/Modern Chemical Industry, 41 (2), 183–187. doi: https://doi.org/10.16606/j.cnki.issn0253-4320.2021.02.035
- Huang, C., Jiang, G., Advincula, R. (2008). Electrochemical Cross-Linking and Patterning of Nanostructured Polyelectrolyte−Carbazole Precursor Ultrathin Films. Macromolecules, 41 (13), 4661–4670. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ma800268n
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko, Miroslav Mikolasek, Peter Ondrejka, Oleksandra Zima, Inna Anataichuk, Dmitriy Vodopyan, Kostyantyn Sukhyy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.