Forecasting development trends in the information technology industry using fuzzy logic
Keywords:IT industry, development trends, fuzzy logic, expert system, FuzzyKIDE software platform
The IT industry occupies a significant place in the economy of the world. Trends in its development directly affect changes in various sectors of the economy.
This paper considers the dynamics of IT industry under conditions of increased entropy of the functioning environment caused by crises, military conflicts, non-standard events. The mathematical basis of the study is an apparatus of fuzzy logic.
The proposed technique for analyzing and forecasting the state and dynamics of the IT sector makes it possible to take into account the influences of a set of factors of different nature and direction of action, which contributes to obtaining a reasonable assessment under conditions of inaccurate information. The software platform for implementing the methodology is the authentically designed fuzzy expert system (ES) FuzzyKIDE.
The conceptual foundations of the platform structure have been defined. A modification of the fuzzy inference mechanism has been proposed, which, unlike existing samples, makes it possible to eliminate saving intermediate results and reduces the load on the database. The composition and structure of the knowledge base (KB) for ES have been proposed. Fuzzy rules are based on predetermined relationships between key factors of influence. The technology of ES operation is represented using simulated scenarios with obtaining predictive results. The analysis of the final data of expert consultations proves the ES operability, providing for the possibility of KB significant expansion in the process of industrial operation. The use of ES is aimed at forming a holistic view of possible directions of IT sector development. Maintaining the actual state of ES KB is a condition for early warning of the emergent negative/crisis phenomena.
The FuzzyKIDE expert consulting system is proposed as a tool to support management decision-making based on the analysis and forecasting of the state and dynamics of IT sector under conditions of high uncertainty
- Gartner. Available at: https://www.gartner.com/en
- IT-eksport u 2020. Za danymy NBU shchodo platizhnoho balansu i zovnishnoi torhivli. Available at: https://brdo.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/IT-eksport-u-2020-2.pdf
- Vasyuk, K. (2022). IT is Ukraine’s fastest-growing sector. When the war is over, it will be the driver of our economy once again. DigitalEurope. Available at: https://www.digitaleurope.org/news/it-is-ukraines-fastest-growing-sector-when-the-war-is-over-it-will-be-the-driver-of-our-economy-once-again/
- IT Industry Outlook 2021. CompTIA. Available at: https://comptiacdn.azureedge.net/webcontent/docs/default-source/research-reports/report---2021-comptia-it-industry-outlook.pdf?sfvrsn=18f99ffd_0
- Vraneš, S., Stanojević, M., Stevanović, V., Lučin, M. (1996). INVEX: Investment Advisory Expert System. Expert Systems, 13 (2), 105–119. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0394.1996.tb00183.x
- Matsatsinis, N. F., Doumpos, M., Zopounidis, C. (1997). Knowledge acquisition and representation for expert systems in the field of financial analysis. Expert Systems with Applications, 12 (2), 247–262. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0957-4174(96)00098-x
- Apté, C., Kastner, J. (1991). An object-centered representation for financial analysis. Expert Systems with Applications, 3 (1), 19–25. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0957-4174(91)90085-s
- McCarty, L. T. (1977). Reflections on “Taxman”: An Experiment in Artificial Intelligence and Legal Reasoning. Harvard Law Review, 90 (5), 837. doi: https://doi.org/10.2307/1340132
- Orchard, R. (2004). FuzzyCLIPS Version 6.10 d User’s Guide. National Research Council of Canada. Available at: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rorchard/FuzzyCLIPS/master/Docs/FuzzyCLIPS610d.pdf
- Sokolovska, Z. M. (2005). Ekspertni systemy v ekonomichnykh doslidzhenniakh. Odessa: Astroprynt, 204.
- Sokolovska, Z. M., Dudnyk, O. O. (2022). Ekspertni systemy: teoriya ta prykladne zastosuvannia. Odessa: Ekolohiya, 408.
- Farajnejad, E., Lau, W.-Y. (2017). A Fuzzy Based Early Warning System to Predict Banking Distress on Selected Asia-Pacific Countries. The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 4 (1), 39–49. doi: https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2017.vol4.no1.39
- Taghiyeh, S., Lengacher, D. C., Handfield, R. B. (2021). Loss rate forecasting framework based on macroeconomic changes: Application to US credit card industry. Expert Systems with Applications, 165, 113954. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2020.113954
- Yang, L.-H., Ye, F.-F., Liu, J., Wang, Y.-M., Hu, H. (2021). An improved fuzzy rule-based system using evidential reasoning and subtractive clustering for environmental investment prediction. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 421, 44–61. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2021.02.018
- Liu, Y. (2021). Foreign Trade Export Forecast Based on Fuzzy Neural Network. Complexity, 2021, 1–10. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/5523222
- O’Leary, D. (2000). Value Creation from Expert Systems: An Economic Approach with Applications to Accounting, Auditing and Finance. Artificial Intelligence in Accounting and Auditing, 2–18. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312165636_VALUE_CREATION_FROM_EXPERT_SYSTEMS_AN_ECONOMIC_APPROACH_WITH_APPLICATIONS_IN_ACCOUNTING_AUDITING_AND_FINANCE
- Sonnet, D. (2017). An evaluation of the use of expert systems in economics. Zeszyty Studenckie Wydziału Ekonomicznego „Nasze Studia”, 8, 190–199. Available at: http://cejsh.icm.edu.pl/cejsh/element/bwmeta1.element.desklight-098c6ae9-7256-41d2-a2b7-f1150909d8d3?q=bwmeta1.element.cejsh-1b83898e-6682-466f-ab52-35ac17dd262a;17&qt=CHILDREN-STATELESS
- Zadeh, L. A. (1983). The role of fuzzy logic in the management of uncertainty in expert systems. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 11 (1-3), 199–227. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0165-0114(83)80081-5
- Sokolovska, Z., Dudnyk, O. (2021). Devising a technology for managing outsourcing IT-projects with the application of fuzzy logic. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (3 (110)), 52–65. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.224529
- Shapiro, S. C., Rapaport, W. J. (1992). The SNePS family. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 23 (2-5), 243–275. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0898-1221(92)90143-6
- Dudnyk, O., Sokolovska, Z. (2022). Application of Fuzzy Expert Systems in IT Project Management. Project Management - New Trends and Applications [Working Title]. doi: https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.102439
- Ukraine IT Report 2021. IT Ukraine Association. Available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rDOzj3_hKgXfIj8czwIVzP8Ct4lBY5eW/view
- Statystyka finansovoho sektoru. Natsionalnyi Bank Ukrainy. Available at: https://bank.gov.ua/files/ES/BOP_m.xlsx
- Ukraine Refugee Situation. Available at: https://data.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine
- Ukraine Internal Displacement Report: General Population Survey, Round 6 (2022). International Organization for Migration. Available at: https://migration.iom.int/sites/g/files/tmzbdl1461/files/reports/IOM_Gen%20Pop%20Report_R6_final%20ENG.pdf
- ILO Brief: The impact of the Ukraine crisis on the world of work: Initial assessments (2022). International Labor Organisation. Available at: https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---europe/---ro-geneva/documents/briefingnote/wcms_844295.pdf
- The Development Impact of the War in Ukraine - Initial Projections. (2022). United Nations Development Programme. Available at: https://www.undp.org/sites/g/files/zskgke326/files/2022-03/Ukraine-Development-Impact-UNDP.pdf
- Yousaf, I., Patel, R., Yarovaya, L. (2022). The reaction of G20+ stock markets to the Russia–Ukraine conflict “black-swan” event: Evidence from event study approach. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, 35, 100723. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbef.2022.100723
- International Migrant Stock (2020). United Nations. Available at: https://www.un.org/development/desa/pd/content/international-migrant-stock
- FAO Food Price Index. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Available at: https://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/foodpricesindex/en/
- Projected increase in acute food insecurity due to war in Ukraine (2022). World Food Programme. Available at: https://www.wfp.org/publications/projected-increase-acute-food-insecurity-due-war-ukraine
- Microsoft New Future of Work Report 2022. Microsoft. Available at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/uploads/prod/2022/04/Microsoft-New-Future-of-Work-Report-2022.pdf?fbclid=IwAR03lUijsKZDMse1-ben8icYIWOQpgcFBCfrKtXWlhAscFVQZNnCxaMMlKk
- McGrath, J. (2021). Report on Labour Shortages and Surpluses. European Labour Authority. Available at: https://www.ela.europa.eu/sites/default/files/2021-12/2021%20Labour%20shortages%20%20surpluses%20report.pdf
- Alderman, L., Cohen, P. (2022). Fleeing War in Ukraine, They’re Met With Employers Offering Paychecks. The New York Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/21/business/refugees-ukraine-jobs.html
- Gengler, E. (2022). 3 things you can do right now to support Ukraine’s IT sector. TechCrunch. Available at: https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/01/3-things-you-can-do-right-now-to-support-ukraines-it-sector/
- Turak, N. (2022). ‘Ukrainians are built different’: The software developers still working under Russian bombing. CNBC. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/04/ukrainians-are-built-different-the-coders-still-working-under-russian-bombing.html
- IT Generation. Ministerstvo Tsyfrovoi Transformatsiyi Ukrainy. Available at: https://it-generation.gov.ua/
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Oleksii Dudnyk, Zoia Sokolovska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.