Formalization of design for physical model of the azimuth thruster with two degrees of freedom by computational fluid dynamics methods
Keywords:ship steering propeller, degradation effect, formalization of the physical model, computational fluid dynamics
Based on theoretical and practical studies into the causes of losses of propellers, caused by the axial inflows, employing the methods of computational fluid dynamics, we calculated the geometry of physical model of the thrusters with two degrees of freedom. We specified the required physical conditions of implementation, formalized geometric parameters of the model, assigned the initial and boundary conditions of differential equations that describe behavior of propeller flows in the recirculation zones. The coefficients are calculated that take into account the existence of degradation effects.
The use of methods of computational fluid dynamics is necessary to account for the losses of propellers caused by the axial water inflows that are dependent on the degradation effects, which will contribute to reducing the propeller thrust and torque.
As the result of the studies, we received the Reynolds and Froude numbers for the zero-velocity model of the ship: Rn=4.405×106; Fr=3.124. Components of the axial and tangential forces of the radial distribution of steering propellers thrusts are refined within the limits of 2.7–5.1 %. The largest deviation of similarity coefficients is in the region of 85–100 % of the rated propeller thrust. We obtained dependences of adjustment factors that affect the components of thrusts and torques proportional to the radius of propeller of the model and the actual steering propeller, related to the original geometry. The value of corrective factors depending on the propeller flow direction relative to the plane of motion of the ship is within the few hundredths of the percent. We systematized and compiled in the table the list of parameters (factors) according to the operating mode of the ship, which are required to solve the basic equations in the formalization of physical models of thrusters.The developed principles of formalization of the physical models of thrusters could be employed in the process of selection and improvement of design of combined propulsive complex and adjustment of selected regulators of components of the ship power plant.
- Wang, F., Lv, M., Xu, F. (2016). Design and implementation of a triple-redundant dynamic positioning control system for deepwater drilling rigs. Applied Ocean Research, 57, 140–151. doi: 10.1016/j.apor.2016.03.007
- Ryu, M., Jeon, D. S., Kim, Y. (2015). Prediction and improvement of the solid particles transfer rate for the bulk handing system design of offshore drilling vessels. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 7 (6), 964–978. doi: 10.1515/ijnaoe-2015-0067
- Azimuthing Electric Propulsion Drive. Available at: http://www04.abb.com/global/seitp/seitp202.nsf/0/589ea2a5cd61753ec12570c9002ab1d1/$file/AzipodNew.pdf
- Azipod Propulsion System. Available at: http://www.dieselduck.info/machine/02%20propulsion/2006%20Introduction%20to%20Azipod%20Propulsion.pdf
- Kobylinski, L. (2013). Problems of Handling Ships Equipped with Azipod Propulsion Systems. Prace naukowe politechniki warszawskiej, 95, 232–245. Available at: https://pbn.nauka.gov.pl/polindex-webapp/browse/article/article-f315dfd7-df06-463e-8de7-b553f8c232db
- Cozijn, H., Hallmann, R., Koop, A. (2010). Analysis of the velocities in the wake of an azimuthing thruster, using PIV measurements and CFD calculations. Dynamic positioning conference: thrusters session. Available at: http://www.refresco.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2010-MTS-DP-Cozijn-Hallmann-Koop.pdf
- Final report on the investigation of the Macondo well blowout (2011). Deepwater horizon study group. Available at: http://ccrm.berkeley.edu/pdfs_papers/bea_pdfs/dhsgfinalreport-march2011-tag.pdf
- Palmer, A., Hearn, G. E., Stevenson, P. (2008). Modelling Tunnel Thrusters for Autonomous Underwater Vehicles. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 41 (1), 91–96. doi: 10.3182/20080408-3-ie-4914.00017
- Taskar, B., Yum, K. K., Steen, S., Pedersen, E. (2016). The effect of waves on engine-propeller dynamics and propulsion performance of ships. Ocean Engineering, 122, 262–277. doi: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.06.034
- Jian, L., Xiwen, L., Zuti, Z., Xiaohui, L., Yuquan, Z. (2016). Numerical investigation into effects on momentum thrust by nozzle's geometric parameters in water jet propulsion system of autonomous underwater vehicles. Ocean Engineering, 123, 327–345. doi: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.07.041
- Sordalen, O. J. (1997). Optimal thrust allocation for marine vessels. Control Engineering Practice, 5 (9), 1223–1231. doi: 10.1016/s0967-0661(97)84361-4
- Arditti, F., Tannuri, E. A. (2012). Experimental Analysis of a Thrust Allocation Algorithm for DP Systems Considering the Interference between Thrusters and Thruster-Hull. IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 45 (27), 43–48. doi: 10.3182/20120919-3-it-2046.00008
- Budashko, V., Nikolskyi, V., Onishchenko, O., Khniunin, S. (2015). Physical model of degradation effect by interaction azimuthal flow with hull of ship. Proceeding Book of International Conference on Engine Room Simulators (ICERS12). Istanbul: Istanbul Technical University, Maritime Faculty, 49–53.
- Nikolskyi, V., Budashko, V., Khniunin, S. (2015). The monitoring system of the Coanda effect for the tension-leg platform’s. Proceeding Book of International Conference on Engine Room Simulators (ICERS12). Istanbul: Istanbul Technical University, Maritime Faculty, 45–49.
- Mauro, F., Nabergoj, R. (2016). Advantages and disadvantages of thruster allocation procedures in preliminary dynamic positioning predictions. Ocean Engineering, 123, 96–102. doi: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.06.045
- Xiao, H., Wu, J.-L., Wang, J.-X., Sun, R., Roy, C. J. (2016). Quantifying and reducing model-form uncertainties in Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes simulations: A data-driven, physics-informed Bayesian approach. Journal of Computational Physics, 324, 115–136. doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2016.07.038
- Mishra, C., Samantaray, A. K., Chakraborty, G. (2016). Rolling element bearing defect diagnosis under variable speed operation through angle synchronous averaging of wavelet de-noised estimate. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 72-73, 206–222. doi: 10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.10.019
- Saha, N., Panda, S. (2016). Speed control with torque ripple reduction of switched reluctance motor by Hybrid Many Optimizing Liaison Gravitational Search technique. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal. doi: 10.1016/j.jestch.2016.11.018
- Maciel, P., Koop, A., Vaz, G. (2013). Modelling Thruster-Hull Interaction with CFD. OMAE ASME 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. France. Available at: http://www.marin.nl/web/Publications/Publication-items/Modelling-ThrusterHull-Interaction-with-CFD.htm
- Thiebot, J., Guillou, S., Nguyen, V. T. (2016). Modelling the effect of large arrays of tidal turbines with depth-averaged Actuator Disks. Ocean Engineering, 126, 265–275. doi: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2016.09.021
- Budashko, V. V., Onishchenko, O. A. (2014). Udoskonalennja systemy upravlinnja pidruljujuchym prystrojem kombinovanogo propul'syvnogo kompleksu [Improving management system combined thruster propulsion systems]. Bulletin of NTU "KhPI", 38 (1081), 45–51. Available at: http://repository.kpi.kharkov.ua/bitstream/KhPI-Press/13378/1/vestnik_HPI_2014_38_Budashko_Udoskonalennia.pdf
- Budashko, V. V. (2015). Implementarnyiy podhod pri modelirovanii energeticheskih protsessov dinamicheski pozitsioniruyuschego sudna [Implementation approaches during simulation processes for a dynamically positioned ship]. Electrical engineering & electromechanics, 6, 14–19.
- Boiko, А. А., Budashko, V. V., Yushkov, E. A., Boiko, N. A. (2016). Synthesis and research of automatic balancing system of voltage converter fed induction motor currents. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (2 (79)), 22–34. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.60544
- Budashko, V. V., Onishchenko, O. A., Yushkov, E. A. (2014). Fizicheskoe modelirovanie mnogofunktsional'nogo propul'sivnogo kompleksa [Physical modeling of multi-propulsion complex]. Zbirnyk naukovyh prac' Vijs'kovoi' akademii' (m. Odesa). Tehnichni nauky, 2, 88–92. Available at: http://zbirnyk.vaodessa.org.ua/images/zbirnyk_2/13.PDF
- Budashko, V. V., Nikolskyi, V. V., Khniunin, S. H. (2015). Pat. No. 100819 UA. Sudova systema monitorynhu dlya poperedzhennya effektu Koanda [Ship monitoring system for the prevention of Coanda effect]. No. u201501854; declareted: 02.03.2015; published: 10.08.2015, Bul. No. 15. Available at: http://base.uipv.org/searchINV/search.php?action=viewdetails&IdClaim=215069
- Budashko, V. V., Yushkov, E. A. (2016). Pat. No. 108074 UA. Systema impulʹsno-fazovoho upravlinnya elektropryvodom sudnovoyi hvynto-kermovoyi ustanovky [The pulse-phase control system of electric ship propeller-steering plant]. No. u201601510; declareted: 18.02.2016; published: 24.06.2016, Bul. No. 12. Available at: http://base.uipv.org/searchINV/search.php?action=viewdetails&IdClaim=224863
- Khnyunin, S. H., Nikolskyi, V. V., Budashko, V. V. (2015). Pat. No. 107006 UA. Sudova systema monitorynhu dlya poperedzhennya effektu Koanda [Ship system for monitoring for preventing the Coanda effect]. No. u201512962; declareted: 28.12.2015; published: 10.05.2016, Bul. No. 9. Available at: http://base.uipv.org/searchINV/search.php?action=viewdetails&IdClaim=223437
- Budashko, V., Nikolskyi, V., Onishchenko, O., Khniunin, S. (2016). Decision support system’s concept for design of combined propulsion complexes. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (8 (81)), 10–21. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2016.72543
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Vitalii Budashko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.