Modelling the loading of the nose-free cutting edges of face mill with a spiral-stepped arrangement of inserts
Keywords:face milling, cut elements, stepped cutting schemes
A mathematical model of loading of the nose-free cutting edges of each insert of the face mill with a spiral-stepped cutting scheme was created. It was established that the size of the cut elements depends on the feed magnitude, the design parameters of the mill and the position of inserts on the contact arc. Variable factors of simulation included the feed magnitude, the clearance angle of the inserts and slope angles of the cutter assemblies. This made it possible to determine the chip thickness and width of cut, the depth of cut, the maximum value of the main cutting edge angle and the cut area at an arbitrary position of the face mill on the contact arc. Simulation in the SolidWorks Motion environment has confirmed reliability of mathematical modeling of loading of the cutting edges of the mill. The relative error in determination of the cut area was in the range from 1.8 % to 5.7 %.
Calculation of the cut elements in the arbitrary position of the cutter insert on the contact arc was made in the Maple environment. Analysis of influence of the design parameters of the cutter and the magnitude of feed on the values of the cut elements was made. It has been established that an increase in feed caused a linear increase in the chip thickness and width of cut and the depth of cut for the inserts of all steps. Optimal values of the clearance angle of the mill inserts (16°) and slope of the cutting assemblies (6°) were determined for the milling depth of 3 mm. Recommendations on the choice of rational values of design parameters of the face mill for its effective operation at various depths of cut were given.
Thus, there are grounds to assert the possibility of improving productivity of machining flat surfaces at a required quality due to the use of nose-free face mills with a spiral-stepped cutting scheme.
- Altintaş, Y., Budak, E. (1995). Analytical Prediction of Stability Lobes in Milling. CIRP Annals, 44 (1), 357–362. doi: 10.1016/s0007-8506(07)62342-7
- Euan, I. G., Ozturk, E., Sims, N. D. (2013). Modeling Static and Dynamic Cutting Forces and Vibrations for Inserted Ceramic Milling Tools. Procedia CIRP, 8, 564–569. doi: 10.1016/j.procir.2013.06.151
- Stepchyn, Ya. A. (2015). Porivnialna kharakterystyka dynamiky protsesiv tortsevoho frezeruvannia frezamy standartnykh ta spetsialnykh konstruktsiyi. The Journal of Zhytomyr State Technological University, 1 (72), 51–56.
- Klimenko, S. A. (2017). Improvement of performance of finishing of details with a cutting tool. The Journal of Zhytomyr State Technological University, 2 (2 (80)), 56–66. doi: 10.26642/tn-2017-2(80)-56-66
- Hlembotska, L. Ye., Melnychuk, P. P. (2010). Vdoskonalennia protsesu tortsevoho frezeruvannia zahartovanykh stalei: problemy, propozytsiyi, obgruntuvannia. Visnyk ZhDTU, 2 (53), 3–15.
- Muñoz-Escalona, P., Maropoulos, P. G. (2015). A geometrical model for surface roughness prediction when face milling Al 7075-T7351 with square insert tools. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 36, 216–223. doi: 10.1016/j.jmsy.2014.06.011
- Saï, K., Bouzid, W. (2005). Roughness modeling in up-face milling. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 26 (4), 324–329. doi: 10.1007/s00170-004-2305-2
- Moskvin, P., Balytska, N., Melnychuk, P., Rudnitskyi, V., Kyrylovych, V. (2017). Special features in the application of fractal analysis for examining the surface microrelief formed at face milling. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (1 (86)), 9–15. doi: 10.15587/1729-4061.2017.96403
- Popke, H., Emmer, T., Alex, R. (2001). Dynamisch stabile Fräsen mit Schnittaufteilung. Werkstatt und Betrieb: WB (München), 12 (134), 23–29.
- Karpuschewski, B., Batt, S. (2007). Improvement of Dynamic Properties in Milling by Integrated Stepped Cutting. CIRP Annals, 56 (1), 85–88. doi: 10.1016/j.cirp.2007.05.001
- Vyhovskyi, H. M., Hromovyi, O. A., Melnychuk, P. P. (2000). Vykorystannia kinematychnykh skhem rizannia pry chystovomu tortsevomu frezeruvanni. Visnyk ZhITI, 13, 18–25.
- Vyhovskyi, H. M., Hromovyi, O. A., Melnychuk, P. P. (1999). Rozrakhunok syl rizannia pry obrobtsi detalei stupinchastymy tortsevymy frezamy. Visnyk ZhITI, 11, 58–66.
- Vyhovskyi, H. M. (1998). Kolyvannia syl rizannia pry obrobtsi detalei tortsevymy stupinchastymy frezamy. Visnyk ZhITI, 9, 28–32.
- Ghorbani, H., Moetakef-Imani, B. (2016). Specific cutting force and cutting condition interaction modeling for round insert face milling operation. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 84 (5-8), 1705–1715. doi: 10.1007/s00170-015-7985-2
- Manohin, A. S., Klimenko, S. A., Mel'niychuk, Yu. A. (2010). Parametry secheniya sreza pri tochenii instrumentom s tsilindricheskoy peredney poverhnost'yu. Rezanie i instrument v tekhnologicheskih sistemah, 78, 105–112.
- Mel'niychuk, Yu. A., Klimenko, S. A., Manohin, A. S. (2011). Vliyanie rezhimov obrabotki na sily rezaniya pri tochenii detaley iz zakalennoy stali instrumentom s tsilindricheskoy peredney poverhnost'yu. Nadiyinist instrumentu ta optymizatsiya tekhnolohichnykh system, 28, 39–43.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Larysa Hlembotska, Petro Melnychuk, Nataliia Balytska, Oleksandr Melnyk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.