Influence of the properties of blast furnace slag on cast iron heating at pulverized coal injection
Keywords:blast furnace, slag practice, viscosity, basicity, slag composition, heating of cast iron
In the course of the studies at two industrial blast furnaces, we established a change in the characteristics of slag mode and cast iron heating, resulting from the transition to the pulverized coal fuel injection with a decrease in basicity of CaO/SiO2 slag from 1.16 to 1.10 and from 1.20 to 1.12 units. It was shown that depending on a particular influence of alumina and magnesia in the slag composition, as well as on their ratio, a decrease in slag basicity can be accompanied by both an increase and a decrease in viscosity. During the research, the dependence between slag viscosity at the temperature of 1,400 °C and chemical heating of cast iron heating at the outlet was established. According to obtained data, an increase in slag viscosity by 0.1 Pа∙s was accompanied by an increase in silica concentration in cast iron by 0.08–0.1 %.
The relation of physical heating of metal with slag basicity and stoichiometry was established. It was shown that a decrease in basicity of (CaO+MgO)/SiO2 by 0.1 units led to a decrease in cast iron temperature by 30 °C. Such a substantial effect of basicity of metal heating indicates the need to take this influence into account not only to control the blast furnace process, but also to state the thermal balance of steel smelting.
It was shown that in the studied range of slag compositions, the influence of magnesia on heating of cast iron is limited. A slight influence of MgO on physical heating of metal was pronounced at a magnitude of the ratio Al2O3/MgO that is close to unity.Results of present research could be used to improve control over blast furnace smelting in terms of taking into consideration slag influence on heating of cast iron.
- Kuznetsov, M. S., Kryachko, G. Yu., Lebed, Yu. K., Valuyeva, N. N. (2016). Slag changing properties and cast iron heating while natural gas and pulverized coal blowing in the hearth of the blast-furnace. Metallurgicheskaya i gornorudnaya promyshlennost', 4, 3–7.
- Zamuraev, V. M., Popov, V. E., Ivlev, V. P., Khrapko, A. V., Didevich, A. V., Tyutyunnik, Yu. M. (2010). Development of blast furnace melting technology without using natural gas with pulverized coal injection. Metallurgical and mining industry, 5, 14–16.
- Muller, J., Erwee, M. (2011). Blast Furnace Control using Slag Viscosities and Liquidus Temperatures with Phase Equilibria Calculations. Southern African Pyrometallurgy, Johannesburg, 309–326.
- Shiau, J.-S., Liu, S.-H., Ho, C.-K. (2012). Effect of Magnesium and Aluminum Oxides on Fluidity of Final Blast Furnace Slag and Its Application. MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS, 53 (8), 1449–1455. doi: 10.2320/matertrans.m2012170
- Chen, M., Zhang, D., Kou, M., Zhao, B. (2014). Viscosities of Iron Blast Furnace Slags. ISIJ International, 54 (9), 2025–2030. doi: 10.2355/isijinternational.54.2025
- Ghosh, D., Krishnamurthy, V. A., Sankaranarayanan, S. R. (2010). Application of optical basicity to viscosity of high alumina blast furnace slags. Journal of Mining and Metallurgy, Section B: Metallurgy, 46 (1), 41–49. doi: 10.2298/jmmb1001041g
- Sugiura, M., Otani, Y., Nakashima, M., Omoto, N. (2014). Continuous Temperature Measurement of Liquid Iron and Slag Tapped from a Blast Furnace. SICE Journal of Control, Measurement, and System Integration, 7 (3), 147–151. doi: 10.9746/jcmsi.7.147
- Suthar, M. S., Patel, I. J., Zinzala, P. (2015). Analysis of Slag Flow in Blast Furnace during the Extraction of Iron. International Journal of Engineering Development and Research, 3 (3).
- Liu, Z., Chu, M., Wang, H., Zhao, W., Xue, X. (2016). Effect of MgO content in sinter on the softening–melting behavior of mixed burden made from chromium-bearing vanadium–titanium magnetite. International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy, and Materials, 23 (1), 25–32. doi: 10.1007/s12613-016-1207-2
- Voskoboinikov, V. G., Dunaev, N. Ye., Mikhalevich, A. G., Kukhtin, T. I., Shtengel-Miner, S. V. M. (1975). Properties of liquid blast-furnace slags. Мoscow: Metallurgy, 184.
- Togobitskaya, D. N., Stovpchenko, A. P., Lisova, L. A., Polishko, A. A., Stepanenko, D. A. (2016). Prediction of physico-chemical properties of slag ESR based on the model of interatomic interaction. Modern electrometallurgy, 4, 16–21.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Maksym Kuznetsov, Gennady Kryachko, Vladimir Polyetaev, Natalia Valuyeva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.