Investigation of the process of fermentation of recovered whey-malt mixtures
Keywords:dry milk whey, dried rye malt, lactose-fermenting yeast, saccharomyces, whey-malt wort
We report a study into the fermentation of the recovered whey-malt mixtures using the lactose-fermenting yeast and saccharomyces. The use of such mixtures for production of fermentation beverages using the appropriate kinds of yeast makes it possible to improve the biological value, compared to traditional (water-based) ones, through the nutrient components of milk whey and fermentation products.
The result of the experiments is the selected optimum ratio of dry rye malt to milk whey for the preparation of mixtures. During our study, we took into consideration the chemical composition, solubility, and possible utilization of carbohydrates by different strains of yeast. It was revealed that the rational ratio of dry malt to whey is 1:2. During fermentation of wort, we observed the greatest increase in the yeast cells Kluyveromyces lactis 469, from 73 to 75.2 thousand/cm3, with the active phase of the process occurring from hour 4 to hour 16 of fermentation. Such indicators testify to the high fermentative activity to the carbohydrates of milk whey.
Based on the amount of the accumulated ethyl alcohol and the content of reducing substances, we investigated the fermenting activity of other yeast strains. For fermentation, we used wort from the recovered dry mixture with the optimal ratio of components. It was revealed that the most active alcoholic fermentation took place in the wort fermented with the yeast Saccharomyces lactis 95. Less effective was the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae Р-87 in the above-specified environment. At a joint cultivation of lactose-fermenting yeast and saccharomyces the fermentation process is greatly enhanced. No synergism of microorganisms was observed.Based on the results from a gas chromatographic analysis, we identified the by-products of fermentation from the fermented whey-malt wort. It has been established that the concentrations of methyl acetate, (11.72±0.59) mg/dm3, and ethyl acetate, (92.17±4.61) mg/dm3, in the wort, fermented by the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae Р-87, are sufficient for creating a harmonious taste and aroma of the fermented beverage
- Alekseeva, M. S. (2016). Razrabotka receptury i tekhnologii kvasa iz pshenichnogo syr'ya. Vestnik KrasGAU, 10, 151–155.
- Sagaydak, M., Blisch, R., Prybylskyy, V., Mudrak, T., Kuts, A. (2016). Selection of cultures of microorganisms for the production of bread kvass. Scientific Messenger of LNU of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnologies. Series "Food Technologies", 18 (2 (68)), 87–91. doi: https://doi.org/10.15421/nvlvet6817
- Basinskiene, L., Juodeikiene, G., Vidmantiene, D., Tenkanen, M., Makaravicius, T., Bartkiene, E. (2016). Non-Alcoholic beverages from fermented cereals with increased oligosaccharide content. Food Technol Biotechnol, 54 (1), 36–44. doi: https://doi.org/10.17113/ftb.54.01.16.4106
- Zarubin, D. A. (2007). Sovershenstvovanie tekhnologii proizvodstva suhih granulirovannyh kvasov. Produkty pitaniya i racional'noe ispol'zovanie syr'evyh resursov: sbornik nauchnyh rabot KemTIPP, 14, 44–45.
- Ha, E., Zemel, M. B. (2003). Functional properties of whey, whey components, and essential amino acids: mechanisms underlying health benefits for active people (review). The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 14 (5), 251–258. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0955-2863(03)00030-5
- Banavara, D. S., Anupama, D., Rankin, S. A. (2003). Studies on Physicochemical and Functional Properties of Commercial Sweet Whey Powders. Journal of Dairy Science, 86 (12), 3866–3875. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.s0022-0302(03)73994-0
- Tavares, T., Malcata, F. X. (2016). Whey and Whey Powders: Fermentation of Whey. Encyclopedia of Food and Health, 486–492. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-384947-2.00749-2
- Gallardo-Escamilla, F. J., Kelly, A. L., Delahunty, C. M. (2005). Sensory Characteristics and Related Volatile Flavor Compound Profiles of Different Types of Whey. Journal of Dairy Science, 88 (8), 2689–2699. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.s0022-0302(05)72947-7
- Savchenko, O. A., Hrek, O. V., Krasulia, O. O. (2015). Aktualni pytannia tekhnolohiyi molochno-bilkovykh kontsentrativ: teoriya i praktyka. Kyiv: TsP «Komprynt», 293.
- Legarovа, V., Kourimska, L. (2010). Whey-based beverages. Mljekarstvo, 60 (4), 280–287.
- Chepel, N., Grek, O., Krasulya, O. (2016). Study of lactose–fermenting yeasts kluyveromyces lactis for whey and apple pectin mixture fermentation. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (10 (79)), 58–64. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2016.59692
- Dragone, G., Mussatto, S. I., Oliveira, J. M., Teixeira, J. A. (2009). Characterisation of volatile compounds in an alcoholic beverage produced by whey fermentation. Food Chemistry, 112 (4), 929–935. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.07.005
- Rudol'f, V. V., Oreshchenko, A. V., Yashnova, P. M. (2000). Proizvodstvo bezalkogol'nyh napitkov. Sankt-Peterburg: Izd-vo «Proffesiya», 360.
- Zarubin, D. A., Pomozova, V. A., Zarubina, A. A. (2008). Razrabotka tekhnologii kvasov s funkcional'nymi svoystvami. Sovremennye problemy tekhniki i tekhnologii pishchevyh proizvodstv: 11-ya Mezhdunarodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferenciya, 145–147.
- Zarubin, D. A. (2009). Novye vidi syr'ya v proizvodstve kvasa. Produkty pitaniya i racional'noe ispol'zovanie syr'evyh resursov, 18, 43–45.
- Zhivetyev, M. A., Graskova, I. A., Voinikov, V. K. (2013). Activity of guaiacol-dependent peroxidase in Plantago major L. leaves. Journal of Stress Physiology and Biochemistry, 9 (3), 326–332.
- Brovko, E. I. (2006). Razrabotka tekhnologii i tovarovednaya ocenka kachestva suhih smesey dlya kvasa. Kemerovo, 21.
- Mazur, P. Ya., Demchenko, V. I., Korchagin, V. I., Magomedov, G. O., Novikova, S. G. (1998). Pat. No. 2162100 RF. Sposob polucheniya polufabrikata suhogo hlebnogo kvasa: Pat. No. 2162100 RF. No. 98122565/13; declareted: 08.12.1998; published: 20.01.2001.
- Parashar, A., Jin, Y., Mason, B., Chae, M., Bressler, D. C. (2016). Incorporation of whey permeate, a dairy effluent, in ethanol fermentation to provide a zero waste solution for the dairy industry. Journal of Dairy Science, 99 (3), 1859–1867. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10059
- Eliseev, M. N., Patalaha, A. E., Volkovich, S. V. (2010). Sostav kvasov brozheniya i kvasnogo napitka. Pivo i napitki, 4, 46–47.
- Domingues, L., Dantas, M. M., Lima, N., Teixeira, J. A. (1999). Continuous ethanol fermentation of lactose by a recombinant flocculating Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 64 (6), 692–697. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0290(19990920)64:6<692::aid-bit8>3.3.co;2-a
- King, A., Dickinson, J. R. (2000). Biotransformation of monoterpene alcohols by Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Torulaspora delbrueckii and Kluyveromyces lactis. Yeast, 16 (6), 499–506. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0061(200004)16:6<499::aid-yea548>3.3.co;2-5
- Chepel, N. V., Grek, О. V., Krasulia, O. O. (2013). Identification of by-products of fermentation of whey and malt worts. Nauka i studia, 17 (85), 73–80.
- Janiaski, D. R., Pimentel, T. C., Cruz, A. G., Prudencio, S. H. (2016). Strawberry-flavored yogurts and whey beverages: What is the sensory profile of the ideal product? Journal of Dairy Science, 99 (7), 5273–5283. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2015-10097
- Kobelev, K. V., Selina, I. V., Sozinova, M. S. et. al. (2011). Razrabotka i identifikaciya kvasov. Pivo i napitki, 1, 23–27.
- Krus', G. N., Shalygina, A. M., Volokitina, Z. V.; Shalygina, A. M. (Ed.) (2000). Metody issledovaniya moloka i molochnyh produktov. Moscow: Kolos, 368.
- Hrek, O. V., Yushchenko, N. M., Osmak, T. H. et. al. (2015). Praktykum z tekhnolohiyi moloka ta molochnykh produktiv. Kyiv: NUKhT, 431.
- Tsygankov, S., Ushkarenko, V., Grek, O., Krasulya, O., Ushkarenko, I., Tymchuk, A. et. al. (2018). Methods of determination of parameters of fermented whey-malty mixtures. EUREKA: Life Sciences, 5, 30–38. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21303/2504-5695.2018.00710
- Hrek, O. V., Krasulia, O. O., Tihunova, O. O. (2013). Brodylna aktyvnist laktozozbrodzhuvalnykh drizhdzhiv u syrovatko-solodovomu susli. Biotechnologia Acta, 6 (2), 92–96.
- Tsygankov, S., Grek, O., Krasulya, O., Onopriichuk, O., Chubenko, L., Savchenko, O. et. al. (2018). Study into effect of food fibers on the fermentation process of whey. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (11 (91)), 56–62. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.120803
- Rudometova, N. V., Sharova, N. Yu., Vybornova, T. A. et. al. (2009). Vliyanie sostava pitatel'nyh sred na biosintez aromaticheskih veshchestv. Hraneniya i pererabotka sel'hozsyr'ya, 1, 40–42.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Sergii Tsygankov, Viktor Ushkarenko, Olena Grek, Olena Krasulya, Iuliia Ushkarenko, Alla Tymchuk, Olena Onopriichuk, Oleksandr Savchenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.