Definition of the influence of obtaining method on physical and chemical characteristics of Ni (OH)2 powders
Keywords:Ni(OH)2, nickel hydroxide, synthesis method, cyclic voltamperometry, specific surface area, proton diffusion coefficient
Four types of hydroxide were chosen for the study. Two of them were synthesized using the industrial method and are used in alkaline batteries. The other two nickel hydroxide powders were synthesized according to the method described in modern literature. The first hydroxide was synthesized using the hydrolytic method from a solution of nickel salt and urea. The other was synthesized from a solution containing a mixture of nickel and aluminum salts in a 4:1 ratio and was precipitated with a solution of alkali. As a result, all chosen hydroxide powders differ in physico-chemical parameters: structure, phase composition, morphology. Thus, it was revealed that the synthesis method of nickel hydroxide, and in turn, differences in structure and morphology, have a significant impact on electrochemical and other physico-chemical properties of powders.
As a result of measuring specific surface area using the dye absorption method, the measured values of the studied hydroxide were found to be 2.52 m2/g to 15.44 m2/g. The measured values were used to calculate diffusion coefficients. The diffusion coefficients were calculated for both anodic and cathodic processes, along with their averaged values. The obtained values of proton diffusion coefficients varied from 9.86∙10-15 to 9.87∙10-17 cm2/s.
Comparison and analysis of electrochemical characteristics, specific surface area values and diffusion coefficients allowed making recommendations for hydroxide application.A mechanism was proposed, that explains the values of specific parameters, and the relation between the structure, synthesis method and physico-chemical parameters was revealed
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Malyshev, V. (2017). Comparison of oxygen evolution parameters on different types of nickel hydroxide. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (89)), 12–19. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.109770
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Vlasov, S. (2018). Investigation of NiAl hydroxide with silver addition as an active substance of alkaline batteries. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (6 (93)), 6–11. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.133465
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2017). Definition of effectiveness of β-Ni(OH)2 application in the alkaline secondary cells and hybrid supercapacitors. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (6 (89)), 17–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.110390
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2018). Influence of ultrasound and template on the properties of nickel hydroxide as an active substance of supercapacitors. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (12 (93)), 32–39. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.133548
- Xu, Q., Jiang, H., Zhang, H., Hu, Y., Li, C. (2019). Heterogeneous interface engineered atomic configuration on ultrathin Ni(OH)2/Ni3S2 nanoforests for efficient water splitting. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 242, 60–66. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.09.064
- Xing, Z., Gan, L., Wang, J., Yang, X. (2017). Experimental and theoretical insights into sustained water splitting with an electrodeposited nanoporous nickel hydroxide@nickel film as an electrocatalyst. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5 (17), 7744–7748. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c7ta01907f
- Kotok, V. A., Malyshev, V. V., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2017). Soft Electrochemical Etching of FTO-Coated Glass for Use in Ni(OH)2-Based Electrochromic Devices. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 6 (12), P772–P777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0071712jss
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2018). A study of multilayered electrochromic platings based on nickel and cobalt hydroxides. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1(12 (91)), 29–35. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.121679
- Hall, D. S., Lockwood, D. J., Bock, C., MacDougall, B. R. (2014). Nickel hydroxides and related materials: a review of their structures, synthesis and properties. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 471 (2174), 20140792–20140792. doi: https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2014.0792
- Peng, M., Shen, X., Wang, L., Wei, Y. (2005). Structural characteristics of spherical Ni(OH)2 and its charge/discharge process mechanism. Journal of Central South University of Technology, 12 (1), 5–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-005-0191-x
- Wang, Y.-M., Zhao, D.-D., Zhao, Y.-Q., Xu, C.-L., Li, H.-L. (2012). Effect of electrodeposition temperature on the electrochemical performance of a Ni(OH)2electrode. RSC Adv., 2 (3), 1074–1082. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c1ra00613d
- Song, Q. S., Chiu, C. H., Chan, S. L. I. (2005). Effects of ball milling on the physical and electrochemical characteristics of nickel hydroxide powder. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 36 (1), 97–103. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10800-005-9045-3
- Rus, E. M., Constantin, D. M., Oniciu, L., Ghergari, L. (1999). Structural and Electrochemical Characteristics of Sintered Nickel Electrodes. Croatica Chemica Acta, 72 (1), 24–51.
- Ten'kovcev, V. V., Centner, B. I. (1985). Osnovy teorii i eksplutacii germetichnih nikel'-kadmievyh akkumulyatorov. Leningrad: Energoatomizdat, Leningr. otd-nie, 96.
- Motupally, S. (1995). Proton Diffusion in Nickel Hydroxide Films. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 142 (5), 1401. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2048589
- MacArthur, D. M. (1970). The Proton Diffusion Coefficient for the Nickel Hydroxide Electrode. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 117 (6), 729. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2407618
- Briggs, G. W. D., Snodin, P. R. (1982). Ageing and the diffusion process at the nickel hydroxide electrode. Electrochimica Acta, 27 (5), 565–572. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(82)85041-x
- Zhang, C. (1987). The Anodic Oxidation of Nickel in Alkaline Media Studied by Spectroelectrochemical Techniques. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 134 (12), 2966. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2100324
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Bolotin, O. (2016). Definition of factors influencing on Ni(OH)2 electrochemical characteristics for supercapacitors. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (6 (83)), 17–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2016.79406
- Jiang, X., Cheng, W., Hu, H., Hu, Y., Cao, Y., Yan, S. et. al. (2018). Facile preparation of a novel composite Co-Ni(OH)2/ carbon sphere for high-performance supercapacitors. Materials Technology, 34 (4), 204–212. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10667857.2018.1548115
- Xing, W., Li, F., Yan, Z., Lu, G. Q. (2004). Synthesis and electrochemical properties of mesoporous nickel oxide. Journal of Power Sources, 134 (2), 324–330. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.03.038
- Yang, J.-H., Wang, C., Yang, D., Li, X., Shang, P., Li, Y., Ma, D. (2014). Boron-doped α-Ni(OH)2 nanoflowers with high specific surface area as electrochemical capacitor materials. Materials Letters, 128, 380–383. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2014.04.170
- Jayalakshmi, M., Rao, M. M., Kim, K.-B. (2006). Effect of Particle Size on the Electrochemical Capacitance of α-Ni(OH)2 in Alkali Solutions. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 1 (6), 324–333.
- Liu, B., Wang, X. Y., Yuan, H. T., Zhang, Y. S., Song, D. Y., Zhou, Z. X. (1999). Physical and electrochemical characteristics of aluminium-substituted nickel hydroxide. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 29 (7), 853–858. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1003537900947
- Nickel hydroxide powder. Available at: https://www.bochemie.cz/en/materials-industrial-batteries/nickel-hydroxide/nickel-hydroxide-powder
- Zavod avtonomnyh istochnikov toka. Available at: http://www.zait.ru/
- Tewari, B. B., Thornton, C. O. (2010). Use of basic Methylene Blue Dye for specific surface area measurement of metal hexacyanoferrate(II) complexes. Revista de la Sociedad Química del Perú, 76 (4), 330–335.
- Gorohovskaya, V. I., Gorohovskiy, V. V. (1983). Praktikum po elektrohimicheskim metodam analiza. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola, 191.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.