Comparison of television broadcasting standards by analytic hierarchy process
Keywords:standard, modulation, optimization, hierarchy, matrix
Today, there are different standards for television broadcasting, each of them is characterized by a set of controversial technical and economic indicators. For choosing a preferable standard and its implementation in broadcast television networks, it is necessary to use methods of multi-criteria selection of optimal designs.
The paper analyzes and compares two standards of digital TV broadcasting: DVB-T standard with multi-frequency modulation COFDM and ATSC standard with 8-level single-frequency amplitude modulation with vestigial sideband SSB-8T. The standards are compared using the Saaty method taking into account a set of quality indicators.
Some quantitative results are given, characterizing the practical aspects of applying the method of Saaty for choosing the preferable variant of television broadcasting.
The analytic hierarchy process was considered, which allows formalized selection of the optimal design with a set of quality parameters based on subjective judgments of experts. As a result of the expert survey, the matrixes of paired comparisons of quality parameters and speech codecs were formulated. After processing of expert judgments the corresponding eigenvectors and vectors of priorities for different levels of the modulation comparison hierarchy were estimated.
These estimations were used for calculating the parameters of priorities global vector components. According to the analytic hierarchy process based on the maximum value of the priorities global vector components the preferable standard of television broadcasting DVB-T with a multi-frequency modulation SOFDM was chosen.
- Локшин, Б.А. Сравнение видов модуляции в наземном цифровом вещании [Текст] / Б.А. Локшин // Теле-Спутник. – 2001. – 3(65).
- Dr.Yiyan, Wu. Transmission Systems for Terrestrial DTV Broadcasting [Text]/ Wu Yiyan //NAB’2000 Broadcast Engineering Conference Proceedings. – 2000. – pp. 3-14.
- Варгаузин, В.А. Сравнительная характеристика европейского и американского стандартов цифрового наземного телевидения [Текст] / В.А. Варгаузин, А. Артамонов // Теле-Спутник. – 1999. – №11. – С. 52-56.
- Айзерман, М. А. Выбор вариантов: основы теории [Текст]/ М. А. Айзерман, Ф. Т. Алескеров. – М.: ФИЗМАТЛИТ, 1990. – 240 с.
- Мушик, Э.Методы принятия технических решений [Текст] : Пер. с нем./ Э. Мушик, П. Мюллер – М.: Мир, 1990. – 208 с.
- Брахтман, Т.Р. Многокритериальность и выбор альтернатив в технике [Текст]/ Т. Р. Брахтман . – М.: Радио, 1984. – 326 c.
- Ногин, В.Д. Принятие решений в многокритериальной среде: количественный подход [Текст] / В.Д. Ногин. – М.: ФИЗМАТЛИТ, 2002. – 176 с.
- Bezruk, V.M. Multicriterion optimization in telecommunication networks planning, designing and controlling [Text] / V.M. Bezruk, A.N. Bukhanko, D.V. Chebotareva, V.V. Varich // Open Book “Telecommunications Networks”. - Chapter 11. – Rijeka: INTECH, 2012. – pp. 251 – 274.
- Безрук, В. М. Выбор оптимальных речевых кодеков для сетей IP-телефонии с учетом совокупности показателей качества [Текст]/ В. М. Безрук, Ю. В. Скорик // Радиотехника. – Харьков, 2009. – №159. – С. 243-248.
- Саати, Т. Аналитическое планирование. Организация систем [Текст]/ Т. Саати, К. Кернс. – М.: Радио и связь, 1991. – 224с.
- Lokshin, B. (2001). Comparison of kinds of modulation in a land digital announcement. The Body-companion, 3 (65).
- Dr. Yiyan, Wu. (2000). Transmission Systems for Terrestrial DTV Broadcasting. NAB’2000 Broadcast Engineering Conference Proceedings, 3 – 14.
- Vargayzin, V., Artamonov, A. (1999). The comparative characteristic of the European and American standards of digital land TV. The Body-companion, №11, 52 – 56.
- Azerman, M., Aleskerov, F. (1990). Choice of variants: theory bases. M.: PHYSMATLIT, 240.
- Myshik, E., Myllir, P. (1990). Methods of acceptance of technical decisions; Translation from German. M: Mir, 208.
- Brahtman, T. (1984). Morecriterion and a choice of alternatives in the technician. M.: Radio, 326.
- Nogin, V. (2002). Decision-making in morecriterion to environment: the quantitative approach. M.: PHYSMATLIT, 176.
- Bezruk, V., Bukhanko, A., Chebotareva, D. (2012). Multicriterion optimization in telecommunication networks planning, designing and controlling. Open Book “Telecommunications Networks”. Chapter 11. Rijeka: INTECH, 251 – 274.
- Bezruk, V., Skorik, Y. (2009). Choice of optimum speech codecs for networks of an IP-telephony taking into account set of indicators of quality. Radiotechnica. Kharkiv. №159, 243 – 248.
- Saati, T., Kerns, K. (1991). Analytical planning. The organisation of systems. M.: Radio and communication, 224.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2014 Валерий Михайлович Безрук, Юлия Валериевна Скорик
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.