Identification of energy efficiency of ore grinding and the liner wear by a threephase motion of balls in a mill
Keywords:energy efficiency, automated control, ore grinding, ball mill, elastic converters.
We have analytically derived an equation that relates the technological parameters of a ball mill, grinding material, to the parameters of a rod primary converter of energy efficiency of ore grinding. By using a method of applying a basic rod primary converter with a large cross-sectional area, at the side end of which large pieces of ore are destroyed at balls impacts, and an additional rod converter with identical parameters and a smaller cross-sectional area, which interacts only with balls, we have achieved invariance in determining the energy efficiency of ore grinding by a ball mill to a change in the motion speed of grinding bodies. We have analytically derived a mathematical model of energy-saving ore grinding by a ball mill with a three-phase motion of grinding bodies, invariant to a change in the length of rods during wear. The model can estimate the energy efficiency of grinding larger pieces of ore based on the resulting volume of crushed large-lump material. The mathematical model includes such constants as the cross-sectional areas of rod primary converters, the initial length of rod primary converters, the length of a basic section of strain gauges arrangement, the value for Young's modulus of the primary converters' material, as well as the changing constants that are defined by the ground material. In addition, the dependence has been derived analytically for determining the length of a main rod primary converter, based on which one can estimate the height of a liner, which wears out in the course of operation.
We have devised a functional circuit for the automated control system of energy efficiency of ore grinding by a ball mill that makes it possible to obtain estimation parameters using modern microprocessor tools. According to the devised circuit, one can build algorithms for determining the volume of ore to be crushed, as well as the thickness of a liner in a ball mill, which open up an avenue for developing software products.
Computer simulation has proven the possibility of applying the proposed method in order to estimate energy efficiency of ore grinding by a ball mill with a three-phase ball motion. We have established high sensitivity of the proposed approach to a deviation in energy efficiency of ore grinding from the best value. A possibility to estimate the parameter with a relative error of ±2.5 % has been confirmed.
- Shinkorenko, S. F. (2002). Gidromekhanika rabochey sredy sharovyh mel'nic mokrogo izmel'cheniya. Gorniy zhurnal, 7, 19–24.
- Naumenko, Yu. V. (2014). Osnovy teoriyi rezhymiv roboty barabannykh mlyniv. Rivne: NUVHP, 336.
- Sanfratello, L., Caprihan, A., Fukushima, E. (2006). Velocity depth profile of granular matter in a horizontal rotating drum. Granular Matter, 9 (1-2), 1–6. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-006-0023-1
- Yang, R. Y., Yu, A. B., McElroy, L., Bao, J. (2008). Numerical simulation of particle dynamics in different flow regimes in a rotating drum. Powder Technology, 188 (2), 170–177. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2008.04.081
- McElroy, L., Bao, J., Yang, R. Y., Yu, A. B. (2009). A soft-sensor approach to flow regime detection for milling processes. Powder Technology, 188 (3), 234–241. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2008.05.002
- Kondratets, V. (2014). Adaptive control of ore pulp thinning in ball mills with the increase of their productivity. Metallurgical and Mining Industry, 6, 12–15.
- Morozov, V. V., Topchaev, V. P., Ulitenko, K. Ya., Ganbaatar, Z., Delgerbat, L. (2013). Razrabotka i primenenie avtomatizirovannyh sistem upravleniya processami obogascheniya poleznyh iskopaemyh. Moscow: Izd. dom «Ruda i Metally», 512.
- Tang, J., Yu, W., Chai, T., Liu, Z., Zhou, X. (2016). Selective ensemble modeling load parameters of ball mill based on multi-scale frequency spectral features and sphere criterion. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 66-67, 485–504. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.04.028
- Pedrayes, F., Norniella, J. G., Melero, M. G., Menéndez-Aguado, J. M., del Coz-Díaz, J. J. (2018). Frequency domain characterization of torque in tumbling ball mills using DEM modelling: Application to filling level monitoring. Powder Technology, 323, 433–444. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2017.10.026
- Roux, J. D. le, Craig, I. K. (2017). Requirements for estimating the volume of rocks and balls in a grinding mill. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 50 (1), 1169–1174. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.403
- Rezaeizadeh, M., Fooladi, M., Powell, M. S., Mansouri, S. H., Weerasekara N. S. (2010). A new predictive model of lifter bar wear in mills. Minerals Engineering, 23 (15), 1174–1181. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2010.07.016
- Pivnyak, G. G., Vaysberg, L. A., Kirichenko, V. I., Pilov, P. I., Kirichenko, V. V. (2007). Izmel'chenie. Energetika i tekhnologiya. Moscow: Izd. dom «Ruda i metally», 296.
- Nikitin, S. V., Karelina, M. Yu. (2014). Prikladnaya mekhanika. Ch. 1. Soprotivlenie materialov. Moscow: MADI, 244.
- Andreev, S. Е., Perov, V. A., Zverevich, V. V. (1980). Droblenie, izmel'chenie i grohochenie poleznyh iskopaemyh. Moscow: Nedra, 415.
- Deshko, Yu. I., Kreymer, M. B., Kryhtin, G. S. (1966). Izmel'chenie materialov v cementnoy promyshlennosti. Moscow: Stroyizdat, 270.
- Bogdanov, V. S., Hahalev, P. A. (2014). Vliyanie profilya konusno-volnistoy futerovki barabannyh mel'nic na energeticheskie pokazateli sharovoy zagruzki. Cement i ego primenenie, 2, 93–97.
- Motra, H. B., Hildebrand, J., Dimmig-Osburg, A. (2014). Assessment of strain measurement techniques to characterise mechanical properties of structural steel. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 17 (4), 260–269. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2014.07.006
- Yurdem, H., Degirmencioglu, A., Cakir, E., Gulsoylu, E. (2019). Measurement of strains induced on a three-bottom moldboard plough under load and comparisons with finite element simulations. Measurement, 136, 594–602. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2019.01.011
- Zhou, K., Wu, Z. Y. (2017). Strain gauge placement optimization for structural performance assessment. Engineering Structures, 141, 184–197. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.03.031
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Vasyl Kondratets, Anatolii Matsui, Volodymyr Yatsun, Mihail Lichuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.