A study of electrochromiс Ni(OH)2 films obtained in the presence of small amounts of aluminum
Keywords:Ni(OH)2, nickel hydroxide, electrochromism, electrodeposition, cyclic voltamperometry, aluminum, solubility product
The research is related to the synthesis of electrochromic films of nickel hydroxide with aluminum as a dopant. Films were deposited via cathodic template synthesis in the presence of polyvinyl alcohol from solutions containing 0.01 M Ni(NO3)2 and Al(NO3)3. Aluminum nitrate was added in different concentrations: 0.138, 0.257 and 0.550 mM. The necessary aluminum concentration was calculated based on the theoretical grounding with the use of Faraday’s law equation. All of the prepared films demonstrated electrochemical activity, and the film deposited from the solution containing 0.01 M Ni(NO3)2 and 0.138 mM Al(NO3)3 has demonstrated the best results. The film cycled reversibly with the coloration degree of – 81 %. At the same time, the film prepared under the same conditions without the dopant demonstrated the coloration degree of 75.8 %.
All films deposited in the presence of aluminum had lower switching, especially bleaching, speed in comparison to the undoped reference sample.
Morphology study of the prepared films revealed that the latter differs little. The film deposited in the presence of 0.138 mM Al(NO3)3 had spherical formations on its surface. It was also found that the morphology of the substrate, which was glass coated with SnO2:F, differed significantly from the morphology of the films deposited with and without the dopant.
The film deposited from the solution of 0.01 M Ni(NO3)2 and 0.138 мМ Al(NO3)3 was confirmed to contain aluminum. The mass ratio of aluminum to nickel in the Ni–Al-138 film varied between 1:10.23 and 1:6.44.
- Deb, S. K. (1969). A Novel Electrophotographic System. Applied Optics, 8 (S1), 192–195. doi: https://doi.org/10.1364/ao.8.000192
- Hurditch, R. (1975). Electrochromism in hydrated tungsten-oxide films. Electronics Letters, 11 (7), 142. doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19750109
- Rosseinsky, D. R., Mortimer, R. J. (2001). Electrochromic Systems and the Prospects for Devices. Advanced Materials, 13 (11), 783–793. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4095(200106)13:11<783::aid-adma783>3.0.co;2-d
- Livage, J., Ganguli, D. (2001). Sol–gel electrochromic coatings and devices: A review. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 68 (3-4), 365–381. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0927-0248(00)00369-x
- Cai, G., Eh, A. L.-S., Ji, L., Lee, P. S. (2017). Recent Advances in Electrochromic Smart Fenestration. Advanced Sustainable Systems, 1 (12), 1700074. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/adsu.201700074
- Kondalkar, V. V., Mali, S. S., Kharade, R. R., Khot, K. V., Patil, P. B., Mane, R. M. et. al. (2015). High performing smart electrochromic device based on honeycomb nanostructured h-WO3 thin films: hydrothermal assisted synthesis. Dalton Transactions, 44 (6), 2788–2800. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c4dt02953d
- Monk, P. (1995). The effect of doping electrochromic molybdenum oxide with other metal oxides: Correlation of optical and kinetic properties. Solid State Ionics, 80 (1-2), 75–85. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2738(95)00130-x
- Özer, N., Sabuncu, S., Cronin, J. (1999). Electrochromic properties of sol-gel deposited Ti-doped vanadium oxide film. Thin Solid Films, 338 (1-2), 201–206. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0040-6090(98)00974-2
- Smart windows: electrochromic windows for building optimisation. Available at: https://www.sageglass.com/sites/default/files/masdar_technology_journal_issue_5_september_2018_smart_windows.pdf
- Azens, A., Granqvist, C. (2003). Electrochromic smart windows: energy efficiency and device aspects. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 7 (2), 64–68. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-002-0313-4
- Shen, P. K. (1991). The Performance of Electrochromic Tungsten Trioxide Films Doped with Cobalt or Nickel. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 138 (9), 2778–2783. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2086054
- Zhang, J., Cai, G., Zhou, D., Tang, H., Wang, X., Gu, C., Tu, J. (2014). Co-doped NiO nanoflake array films with enhanced electrochromic properties. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2 (34), 7013–7021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c4tc01033g
- Patil, P. S., Mujawar, S. H., Inamdar, A. I., Sadale, S. B. (2005). Electrochromic properties of spray deposited TiO 2 -doped WO 3 thin films. Applied Surface Science, 250 (1-4), 117–123. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2004.12.042
- Schmitt, M., Aegerter, M. A. (2001). Electrochromic properties of pure and doped Nb2O5 coatings and devices. Electrochimica Acta, 46 (13-14), 2105–2111. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0013-4686(01)00380-2
- Lou, X., Zhao, X., Feng, J., Zhou, X. (2009). Electrochromic properties of Al doped B-subsituted NiO films prepared by sol–gel. Progress in Organic Coatings, 64 (2-3), 300–303. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2008.09.006
- Lin, F., Nordlund, D., Weng, T.-C., Moore, R. G., Gillaspie, D. T., Dillon, A. C. et. al. (2013). Hole Doping in Al-Containing Nickel Oxide Materials To Improve Electrochromic Performance. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 5 (2), 301–309. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/am302097b
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). Electrochromism of Ni(OH)2 films obtained by cathode template method with addition of Al, Zn, Co ions. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (12 (87)), 38–43. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.103010
- Garcia, G., Buonsanti, R., Llordes, A., Runnerstrom, E. L., Bergerud, A., Milliron, D. J. (2013). Near-Infrared Spectrally Selective Plasmonic Electrochromic Thin Films. Advanced Optical Materials, 1 (3), 215–220. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/adom.201200051
- Bi, Z., Zhang, S., Xu, X., Hu, X., Li, X., Gao, X. (2015). A novel nanocomposite of WO3 modified Al-doped ZnO nanowires with enhanced electrochromic performance. Materials Letters, 160, 186–189. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2015.07.107
- Wu, Z.-S., Ren, W., Xu, L., Li, F., Cheng, H.-M. (2011). Doped Graphene Sheets As Anode Materials with Superhigh Rate and Large Capacity for Lithium Ion Batteries. ACS Nano, 5 (7), 5463–5471. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/nn2006249
- Cao, D., Lan, J., Wang, W., Smit, B. (2009). Lithium-Doped 3D Covalent Organic Frameworks: High-Capacity Hydrogen Storage Materials. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 48 (26), 4730–4733. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.200900960
- Kotok, V. A., Malyshev, V. V., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2017). Soft Electrochemical Etching of FTO-Coated Glass for Use in Ni(OH)2-Based Electrochromic Devices. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 6 (12), P772–P777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0071712jss
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Zima, A. S., Kirillova, E. A., Burkov, A. A., Kobylinska, N. G. et. al. (2019). Optimization of electrolyte composition for the cathodic template deposition of Ni(OH)2-based electrochromic films on FTO glass. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14 (2), 344–353. Available at: http://www.arpnjournals.org/jeas/research_papers/rp_2019/jeas_0119_7562.pdf
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2018). A study of the effect of cycling modes on the electrochromic properties of Ni(OH)2 films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 6 (5 (96)), 62–69. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.150577
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2018). A study of the effect of tungstate ions on the electrochromic properties of Ni(OH)2 films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (95)), 18–24. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.145223
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Kovalenko, P. V., Solovov, V. A., Deabate, S., Mehdi, A. et. al. (2017). Advanced electrochromic Ni(OH)2/PVA films formed by electrochemical template synthesis. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 12 (13), 3962–3977. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5628/61836625c1b46d9daeb7bbe73e7d85338519.pdf
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The electrochemical cathodic template synthesis of nickel hydroxide thin films for electrochromic devices: role of temperature. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (89)), 28–34. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.97371
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The properties investigation of the faradaic supercapacitor electrode formed on foamed nickel substrate with polyvinyl alcohol using. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (12 (88)), 31–37. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.108839
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.