“Smart” anticorrosion pigment based on layered double hydroxide: construction and characterization
Keywords:paint coats, Zn-Al LDH, “smart” bi-functional pigment, tripolyphosphate, inhibitor
Paint coatings are widely used for decorative purposes and to prevent corrosion of metal surfaces. However, regular paint coating only provides passive protection of the metal. To create an active type of corrosion protection, various anti-corrosion additives are added to paint formulations. As a result of analyzing available data, a bi-functional (colored and anti-corrosion) pigment was theoretically constructed as monophase Zn-Al-tripolyphosphate LDH with the generalized formula Zn0.8Al0.2(P3O10)0.04. In this LDH, Zn2+ as “host” cation and Al3+ as “guest” cation govern white color of the pigment, and intercalated tripolyphosphate-anions – corrosion inhibitor. A continuous constant pH synthesis at a temperature of 70°С was selected as a preparation method. This method was used to prepare theoretically constructed pigment. The crystal structure of the pigment sample was studied by means of X-ray diffraction, morphology and particle size were determined by means of scanning electron microscopy, thermal properties were evaluated by means of thermogravimetry. Color characteristics were recorded using the color comparator, anti-corrosion properties were evaluated by recording anodic polarization curves of 08KP steel in 5 % (wt.) Na2SO4 solution with and without the pigment extract. By means of X-ray diffraction analysis, it was found that bi-phase precipitate, containing the constructed LDH (with Zn(OH)2 structure) and Zn-Al LDO (ZnO structure) was formed. This indicated partial decomposition of LDH during synthesis, but the reason for it is unknown. By means of SEM, the formation of agglomerates of the same particles with high surface area was found. The study of color characteristics revealed that the prepared pigment has high whiteness value (diffuse reflection coefficient above 90 %, color purity below 1 %, lightness above 96 %). This is due to the color of both LDH and LDO phases. By recording anodic polarization curves, it was found that corrosion rate in the presence of water extract of the pigment is lower by 5.36 times (corrosion current density decreased from 5.63 mA/cm2 to 1.03 mA/cm2. All of this shows that a bi-functional pigment was prepared, which has great pigment properties, high whiteness, and high anti-corrosion properties.
- Deyá, C. (2016). Silane as adhesion promoter in damaged areas. Progress in Organic Coatings, 90, 28–33. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2015.09.001
- Burmistr, M. V., Boiko, V. S., Lipko, E. O., Gerasimenko, K. O., Gomza, Y. P., Vesnin, R. L. et. al. (2014). Antifriction and Construction Materials Based on Modified Phenol-Formaldehyde Resins Reinforced with Mineral and Synthetic Fibrous Fillers. Mechanics of Composite Materials, 50 (2), 213–222. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11029-014-9408-0
- Brooman, E. W. (2002). Modifying organic coatings to provide corrosion resistance: Part II–Inorganic additives and inhibitors. Metal Finishing, 100 (5), 42–53. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0026-0576(02)80382-8
- Deyá, M. C., del Amo, B., Spinelli, E., Romagnoli, R. (2013). The assessment of a smart anticorrosive coating by the electrochemical noise technique. Progress in Organic Coatings, 76 (4), 525–532. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2012.09.014
- Blustein, G., Deyá, M. C., Romagnoli, R., Di Sarli, A. R., del Amo, B. (2010). Improvement of anticorrosive performance of phosphate-based alkyd paints with suitable additives. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 8 (2), 171–181. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-010-9289-7
- Silva, R. S., Aleman, C., Ferreira, C. A., Armelin, E., Ferreira, J. Z., Meneguzzi, A. (2015). Smart Paint for anodic protection of steel. Progress in Organic Coatings, 78, 116–123. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2014.10.002
- Abd El‐Ghaffar, M. A., Youssef, E. A. M., Ahmed, N. M. (2004). High performance anticorrosive paint formulations based on phosphate pigments. Pigment & Resin Technology, 33 (4), 226–237. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/03699420410546917
- Yan, H., Wang, J., Zhang, Y., Hu, W. (2016). Preparation and inhibition properties of molybdate intercalated ZnAlCe layered double hydroxide. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 678, 171–178. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.03.281
- Guo, Y., Wang, J., Li, D., Tang, P., Leroux, F., Feng, Y. (2018). Micrometer-sized dihydrogenphosphate-intercalated layered double hydroxides: synthesis, selective infrared absorption properties, and applications as agricultural films. Dalton Transactions, 47 (9), 3144–3154. doi: https://doi.org/10.1039/c7dt03483k
- Deyá, M. C., Blustein, G., Romagnoli, R., del Amo, B. (2008). Zinc hypophosphite: a suitable additive for anticorrosive paints to promote pigments synergism. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 6 (3), 369–376. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11998-008-9147-z
- Blustein, G., del Amo, B., Romagnoli, R. (2000). The influence of the solubility of zinc phosphate pigments on their anticorrosive behaviour. Pigment & Resin Technology, 29 (2), 100–107. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/03699420010319148
- Blustein, G., Deyá, C., Romagnoli, R. (2016). Synergism in anticorrosive paints. Bulletin of Materials Science, 39 (3), 749–757. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-016-1217-8
- Kalendova´, A. (2003). Comparison of the anticorrosion efficiencies of pigments based on condensed phosphates and polyphosphosilicates. Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, 50 (2), 82–90. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/00035590310463957
- Alibakhshi, E., Naeimi, A., Ramezanzadeh, M., Ramezanzadeh, B., Mahdavian, M. (2018). A facile synthesis method of an effective anti-corrosion nanopigment based on zinc polyphosphate through microwaves assisted combustion method; comparing the influence of nanopigment and conventional zinc phosphate on the anti-corrosion properties of an epoxy coating. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 762, 730–744. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.05.172
- Deyá, M., Vetere, V., Romagnoli, R., del Amo, B. (2003). Zinc tripolyphosphate: An anticorrosive pigment for paints. Surface Coatings International Part B: Coatings Transactions, 86 (1), 79–85. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02699598
- Deyá, M., Vetere, V. F., Romagnoli, R., del Amo, B. (2001). Aluminium tripolyphosphate pigments for anticorrosive paints. Pigment & Resin Technology, 30 (1), 13–24. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/03699420110364129
- Song, D., Gao, J., Shen, L., Wan, H., Li, X. (2015). The Influence of Aluminum Tripolyphosphate on the Protective Behavior of an Acrylic Water-Based Paint Applied to Rusty Steels. Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 1–10. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/618971
- Vetere, V. F., Deyá, M. C., Romagnoli, R., Amo, B. (2001). Calcium tripolyphosphate: An anticorrosive pigment for paint. Journal of Coatings Technology, 73 (6), 57–63. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02698398
- Deyá, M., Di Sarli, A. R., del Amo, B., Romagnoli, R. (2008). Performance of Anticorrosive Coatings Containing Tripolyphosphates in Aggressive Environments. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 47 (18), 7038–7047. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ie071544d
- Khan, A. I., Ragavan, A., Fong, B., Markland, C., O’Brien, M., Dunbar, T. G. et. al. (2009). Recent Developments in the Use of Layered Double Hydroxides as Host Materials for the Storage and Triggered Release of Functional Anions. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 48 (23), 10196–10205. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ie9012612
- Mandal, S., Tichit, D., Lerner, D. A., Marcotte, N. (2009). Azoic Dye Hosted in Layered Double Hydroxide: Physicochemical Characterization of the Intercalated Materials. Langmuir, 25 (18), 10980–10986. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/la901201s
- Mandal, S., Lerner, D. A., Marcotte, N., Tichit, D. (2009). Structural characterization of azoic dye hosted layered double hydroxides. Zeitschrift Für Kristallographie, 224 (5-6). doi: https://doi.org/10.1524/zkri.2009.1150
- Alibakhshi, E., Ghasemi, E., Mahdavian, M., Ramezanzadeh, B. (2017). A comparative study on corrosion inhibitive effect of nitrate and phosphate intercalated Zn-Al- layered double hydroxides (LDHs) nanocontainers incorporated into a hybrid silane layer and their effect on cathodic delamination of epoxy topcoat. Corrosion Science, 115, 159–174. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2016.12.001
- Alibakhshi, E., Ghasemi, E., Mahdavian, M., Ramezanzadeh, B. (2017). Fabrication and characterization of layered double hydroxide/silane nanocomposite coatings for protection of mild steel. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 80, 924–934. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtice.2017.08.015
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Vlasov, S. (2018). Investigation of NiAl hydroxide with silver addition as an active substance of alkaline batteries. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (6 (93)), 6–11. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.133465
- Solovov, V. A., Nikolenko, N. V., Kovalenko, V. L., Kotok, V. A., Burkov, A. А., Kondrat’ev, D. A. et. al. (2018). Synthesis of Ni(II)-Ti(IV) Layered Double Hydroxides Using Coprecipitation at High Supersaturation Method. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13 (24), 9652–9656.
- Marangoni, R., Bouhent, M., Taviot-Guého, C., Wypych, F., Leroux, F. (2009). Zn2Al layered double hydroxides intercalated and adsorbed with anionic blue dyes: A physico-chemical characterization. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 333 (1), 120–127. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2009.02.001
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2019). Influence of the carbonate ion on characteristics of electrochemically synthesized layered (α+β) nickel hydroxide. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (6 (97)), 40–46. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.155738
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2018). A study of the effect of tungstate ions on the electrochromic properties of Ni(OH)2 films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (95)), 18–24. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.145223
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2019). Anionic carbonate activation of layered (α+β) nickel hydroxide. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (6 (99)), 44–52. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.169461
- Arizaga, G. G. C., Gardolinski, J. E. F. da C., Schreiner, W. H., Wypych, F. (2009). Intercalation of an oxalatooxoniobate complex into layered double hydroxide and layered zinc hydroxide nitrate. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 330 (2), 352–358. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.10.025
- Andrade, K. N., Pérez, A. M. P., Arízaga, G. G. C. (2019). Passive and active targeting strategies in hybrid layered double hydroxides nanoparticles for tumor bioimaging and therapy. Applied Clay Science, 181, 105214. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2019.105214
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Yeroshkina, A., Zaychuk, A. (2017). Synthesis and characterisation of dyeintercalated nickelaluminium layereddouble hydroxide as a cosmetic pigment. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (89)), 27–33. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.109814
- Cursino, A. C. T., Rives, V., Arizaga, G. G. C., Trujillano, R., Wypych, F. (2015). Rare earth and zinc layered hydroxide salts intercalated with the 2-aminobenzoate anion as organic luminescent sensitizer. Materials Research Bulletin, 70, 336–342. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2015.04.055
- Wang, Q., Feng, Y., Feng, J., Li, D. (2011). Enhanced thermal- and photo-stability of acid yellow 17 by incorporation into layered double hydroxides. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 184 (6), 1551–1555. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssc.2011.04.020
- Liu, J. Q., Zhang, X. C., Hou, W. G., Dai, Y. Y., Xiao, H., Yan, S. S. (2009). Synthesis and Characterization of Methyl-Red/Layered Double Hydroxide (LDH) Nanocomposite. Advanced Materials Research, 79-82, 493–496. doi: https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amr.79-82.493
- Tian, Y., Wang, G., Li, F., Evans, D. G. (2007). Synthesis and thermo-optical stability of o-methyl red-intercalated Ni–Fe layered double hydroxide material. Materials Letters, 61 (8-9), 1662–1666. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2006.07.094
- Hwang, S.-H., Jung, S.-C., Yoon, S.-M., Kim, D.-K. (2008). Preparation and characterization of dye-intercalated Zn–Al-layered double hydroxide and its surface modification by silica coating. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, 69 (5-6), 1061–1065. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpcs.2007.11.002
- Tang, P., Deng, F., Feng, Y., Li, D. (2012). Mordant Yellow 3 Anions Intercalated Layered Double Hydroxides: Preparation, Thermo- and Photostability. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51 (32), 10542–10545. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ie300645b
- Tang, P., Feng, Y., Li, D. (2011). Fabrication and properties of Acid Yellow 49 dye-intercalated layered double hydroxides film on an alumina-coated aluminum substrate. Dyes and Pigments, 91 (2), 120–125. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2011.03.012
- Tang, P., Feng, Y., Li, D. (2011). Improved thermal and photostability of an anthraquinone dye by intercalation in a zinc–aluminum layered double hydroxides host. Dyes and Pigments, 90 (3), 253–258. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2011.01.007
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2019). Definition of the influence of obtaining method on physical and chemical characteristics of Ni (OH)2 powders. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (12 (97)), 21–27. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.156093
- Mahjoubi, F. Z., Khalidi, A., Abdennouri, M., Barka, N. (2017). Zn–Al layered double hydroxides intercalated with carbonate, nitrate, chloride and sulphate ions: Synthesis, characterisation and dye removal properties. Journal of Taibah University for Science, 11 (1), 90–100. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtusci.2015.10.007
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2018). Comparative investigation of electrochemically synthesized (α+β) layered nickel hydroxide with mixture of α-Ni(OH)2 and β-Ni(OH)2. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (6 (92)), 16–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2018.125886
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2017). Obtaining of Ni–Al layered double hydroxide by slit diaphragm electrolyzer. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (6 (86)), 11–17. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.95699
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2017). Study of the influence of the template concentration under homogeneous precepitation on the properties of Ni(OH)2 for supercapacitors. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (6 (88)), 17–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.106813
- Solovov, V., Кovalenko, V., Nikolenko, N., Kotok, V., Vlasova, E. (2017). Influence of temperature on the characteristics of Ni(II), Ti(IV) layered double hydroxides synthesised by different methods. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 1 (6 (85)), 16–22. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.90873
- Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V. (2019). Investigation of characteristics of double Ni–Co and ternary Ni–Co–Al layered hydroxides for supercapacitor application. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (6 (98)), 58–66. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.164792
- Vlasova, E., Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Vlasov, S., Sukhyy, K. (2017). A study of the influence of additives on the process of formation and corrosive properties of tripolyphosphate coatings on steel. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (89)), 45–51. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.111977
- Deyá, M. C., Blustein, G., Romagnoli, R., del Amo, B. (2002). The influence of the anion type on the anticorrosive behaviour of inorganic phosphates. Surface and Coatings Technology, 150 (2-3), 133–142. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0257-8972(01)01522-5
- Vlasova, E., Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Vlasov, S. (2016). Research of the mechanism of formation and properties of tripolyphosphate coating on the steel basis. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (5 (83)), 33–39. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2016.79559
- Vlasova, E., Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Vlasov, S., Sknar, I., Cheremysinova, A. (2017). Investigation of composition and structure of tripoliphosphate coating on low carbon steel. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (6 (86)), 4–10. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.96572
- Vlasova, O., Kovalenko, V., Kotok, V., Vlasov, S., Cheremysinova, A. (2017). Investigation of physical and chemical properties and structure of tripolyphosphate coatings on zinc plated steel. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 3 (12 (87)), 4–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.103151
- Deyá, M. C., Romagnoli, R., del Amo, B. (2004). The influence of zinc oxide on the anticorrosive behaviour of eco - friendly paints. Corrosion Reviews, 22 (1), 1–18. doi: https://doi.org/10.1515/corrrev.2004.22.1.1
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Vadym Kovalenko, Valerii Kotok
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.