Development of the design and determination of mode characteristics of block cryoconcentrators for pomegranate juice
Keywords:pomegranate juice, cryoconcentration, kinetics of the process, block freezing, separation, evaporator, concentration
The designs of cryoconcentrators of block type BV-2 and BL-20 have been developed. The influence of design and operating parameters on the kinetics of freezing of pomegranate juice was investigated.
A decrease in the operating temperature of the refrigeration unit contributes to a more intensive growth of the ice block. When the temperature of the coolant decreases by 1.2 times, the productivity of the BV-2 unit increases by 27 %, and of the BL-20 unit by 12 %. For BL-20, an increase in the initial concentration by 3 times leads to a decrease in productivity by 2.5...1.5 times.
The influence of the temperature of the coolant and the initial concentration of the juice on the rate of concentration change has been determined. At low initial concentrations of solutions (10...15 %), a sharp increase in concentration is observed at the final stage of freezing. The dry matter content of the juice is increased by 16 % at high concentrations, only 4 %.
The kinetics of the ice block separation process has been studied. At the first stage (duration 10...15 minutes), the concentration of effluents is 2...3 % higher than the concentration of the solution. On the second, increases by 6...10 %. In the third stage, there is a monotonous decrease in effluent concentration (2.5 % / hour).
The results of experimental modeling are generalized. The obtained equation in similarity numbers allows calculating the mass transfer coefficients with an error of no more than 20 %.
The developed designs of the BL-20 and BV-2 cryoconcentrators are semi-industrial units. With block cryoconcentration, a concentration of pomegranate juice of 47° Brix was achieved, which is higher than in traditional devices. The results obtained can be applied for further development and creation of industrial plants with optimal improved product parameters.
- Burdo, O. H., Kovalenko, O. O., Reminna, L. P. (2008). Pat. No. 34280 UA. Sposib otrymannia kontsentrovanykh ridkykh produktiv shliakhom vymorozhuvannia. No. u200801496; declareted: 05.02.2008; published: 11.08.2008, Bul. No. 15. Available at: https://uapatents.com/3-34280-sposib-otrimannya-koncentrovanikh-ridkikh-produktiv-shlyakhom-vimorozhuvannya.html
- Müller, M., Sekoulov, I. (1992). Waste Water Reuse by Freeze Concentration with a Falling Film Reactor. Water Science and Technology, 26 (7-8), 1475–1482. doi: https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.1992.0591
- Miyawaki, O. (2001). Analysis and Control of Ice Crystal Structure in Frozen Food and Their Application to Food Processing. Food Science and Technology Research, 7 (1), 1–7. doi: https://doi.org/10.3136/fstr.7.1
- Zambrano, A., Ruiz, Y., Hernández, E., Raventós, M., Moreno, F. L. (2018). Freeze desalination by the integration of falling film and block freeze-concentration techniques. Desalination, 436, 56–62. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2018.02.015
- Qin, F. G. F., Ding, Z., Yuan, J., Jiang, R., Huang, S., Yin, H., Shao, Y. (2019). Visualization data on concentrating apple juice with a trinitarian crystallization suspension freeze concentrator. Data in Brief, 25, 104155. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2019.104155
- Ding, Z., Qin, F. G. F., Yuan, J., Huang, S., Jiang, R., Shao, Y. (2019). Concentration of apple juice with an intelligent freeze concentrator. Journal of Food Engineering, 256, 61–72. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2019.03.018
- Sánchez, J., Ruiz, Y., Raventós, M., Auleda, J. M., Hernández, E. (2010). Progressive freeze concentration of orange juice in a pilot plant falling film. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 11 (4), 644–651. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2010.06.006
- Petzold, G., Niranjan, K., Aguilera, J. M. (2013). Vacuum-assisted freeze concentration of sucrose solutions. Journal of Food Engineering, 115 (3), 357–361. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2012.10.048
- Bayindirli, L., Özilgen, M., Ungan, S. (1993). Mathematical analysis of freeze concentration of apple juice. Journal of Food Engineering, 19 (1), 95–107. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-8774(93)90063-p
- Nonthanum, P., Tansakul, A. (2008). Freeze concentration of lime juice. Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, 1, 27–37. Available at: http://www.mijst.mju.ac.th/vol2/s27-37.pdf
- Vuist, J. E., Linssen, R., Boom, R. M., Schutyser, M. A. I. (2021). Modelling ice growth and inclusion behaviour of sucrose and proteins during progressive freeze concentration. Journal of Food Engineering, 303, 110592. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2021.110592
- Firuzi, M. R., Niakousari, M., Eskandari, M. H., Keramat, M., Gahruie, H. H., Mousavi Khaneghah, A. (2019). Incorporation of pomegranate juice concentrate and pomegranate rind powder extract to improve the oxidative stability of frankfurter during refrigerated storage. LWT, 102, 237–245. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.12.048
- Hegazi, N. M., El-Shamy, S., Fahmy, H., Farag, M. A. (2021). Pomegranate juice as a super-food: A comprehensive review of its extraction, analysis, and quality assessment approaches. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 97, 103773. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2020.103773
- Azeredo, H. M. C., Morrugares-Carmona, R., Wellner, N., Cross, K., Bajka, B., Waldron, K. W. (2016). Development of pectin films with pomegranate juice and citric acid. Food Chemistry, 198, 101–106. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.10.117
- Dhumal, S. S., Karale, A. R., More, T. A., Nimbalkar, C. A., Chavan, U. D., Jadhav, S. B. (2015). Preparation of pomegranate juice concentrate by various heating methods and appraisal of its physicochemical characteristics. Acta Horticulturae, 1089, 473–484. doi: https://doi.org/10.17660/actahortic.2015.1089.65
- Icier, F., Yildiz, H., Sabanci, S., Cevik, M., Cokgezme, O. F. (2017). Ohmic heating assisted vacuum evaporation of pomegranate juice: Electrical conductivity changes. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 39, 241–246. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2016.12.014
- Maskan, M. (2006). Production of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) juice concentrate by various heating methods: colour degradation and kinetics. Journal of Food Engineering, 72 (3), 218–224. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.11.012
- Putnik, P., Kresoja, Ž., Bosiljkov, T., Režek Jambrak, A., Barba, F. J., Lorenzo, J. M. et. al. (2019). Comparing the effects of thermal and non-thermal technologies on pomegranate juice quality: A review. Food Chemistry, 279, 150–161. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.11.131
- Petzold, G., Moreno, J., Lastra, P., Rojas, K., Orellana, P. (2015). Block freeze concentration assisted by centrifugation applied to blueberry and pineapple juices. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 30, 192–197. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2015.03.007
- Petzold, G., Orellana, P., Moreno, J., Cerda, E., Parra, P. (2016). Vacuum-assisted block freeze concentration applied to wine. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 36, 330–335. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2016.07.019
- Khajehei, F., Niakousari, M., Eskandari, M. H., Sarshar, M. (2015). Production of Pomegranate Juice Concentrate by Complete Block Cryoconcentration Process. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 38 (5), 488–498. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.12179
- Ovsyannicov, V. Yu., Kondrateva, I. I., Bostynets, N. I., Denezhnaja, A. N. (2015). Batch-wise process of cherry juice freeze concentration. Vestnik mezhdunarodnoy akademii holoda, 1, 4–8. Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/issledovanie-protsessa-tsiklicheskogo-kontsentrirovaniya-vishnevogo-soka-vymorazhivaniem
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Oleg Burdo, Igor Bezbakh, Aleksandr Zykov, Yana Fatieieva, Davar Rostami Pour, Petr Osadchuk, Igor Mazurenko, Shao Zhengzheng, Lyudmila Phylipova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.