Efficiency definition of the deposition process of electrochromic Ni(OH)2-PVA films formed on a metal substrate from concentrated solutions
Keywords:electrochromism, electrodeposition, nickel hydroxide, polyvinyl alcohol, nickel nitrate, current efficiency
Electrochemical devices based on nickel hydroxide electrodes are used in different areas. The main ones are chemical current sources, variable transparency “smart” windows, devices for carrying out electrocatalytic reactions, sensors for determining various substances. In this regard, methods of nickel hydroxide synthesis are of great interest, especially those that allow forming nickel hydroxide directly on the surface of electrodes. One of these methods is electrochemical deposition with cathodic current polarization.
The available information on nickel hydroxide synthesis from nickel solutions was considered. It was shown that the available data mainly covered information on dilute solutions from 0.01 to 0.25 mol/L Ni(NO3)2. In addition, no comparison was found in the literature for the efficiency of the cathodic formation of Ni(OH)2 at different concentrations of nickel nitrate.
To eliminate the lack of information, the dependence of the current efficiency on the concentration of nickel nitrate in the electrodeposition solution was determined at a constant cathode current density of 0.625 mA/cm2. The resulting dependence decreased nonlinearly with increasing concentration. The nickel hydroxide deposit formed in this case had an X-ray amorphous structure, and it depended little on the Ni(NO3)2 concentration. In addition, the current efficiency reached zero at concentrations of 1.5 mol/L Ni(NO3)2 and higher. However, with polyvinyl alcohol in the solution and at Ni(NO3)2 concentrations of 1.5 and 2 mol/L, electrochemically and electrochromically active Ni(OH)2 films were deposited. The current efficiency calculated indirectly for 1.5 and 2 mol/L Ni(NO3)2 solutions was 3.2 and 2.3 %, respectively. Thus, it was concluded that polyvinyl alcohol affected the mechanism of nickel hydroxide electrodeposition from aqueous solutions of nickel nitrate.
- Zayani, W., Azizi, S., El‐Nasser, K. S., Othman Ali, I., Molière, M., Fenineche, N. et. al. (2021). Electrochemical behavior of a spinel zinc ferrite alloy obtained by a simple sol-gel route for Ni-MH battery applications. International Journal of Energy Research, 45 (4), 5235–5247. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/er.6140
- Yang, J., Chen, J., Wang, Z., Wang, Z., Zhang, Q., He, B. et. al. (2021). High‐Capacity Iron‐Based Anodes for Aqueous Secondary Nickel–Iron Batteries: Recent Progress and Prospects. ChemElectroChem, 8 (2), 273–273. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/celc.202001556
- Pourabdollah, K. (2021). Fouling and corrosion of electrode plates in nickel cadmium batteries. Engineering Failure Analysis, 130, 105797. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2021.105797
- Peng, Z., Yang, C., Zhao, Q., Liang, F., Yun, S., Liu, R. et. al. (2022). Ultra-dispersed nickel–cobalt sulfides on reduced graphene oxide with improved power and cycling performances for nickel-zinc batteries. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 607, 61–67. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2021.08.193
- Jiang, T., Chen, W. (2021). Nickel hydrogen gas batteries: From aerospace to grid-scale energy storage applications. Current Opinion in Electrochemistry, 30, 100859. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coelec.2021.100859
- Li, J., Wang, L., Yang, Y., Wang, B., Duan, C., Zheng, L. et. al. (2021). Rationally designed NiMn LDH@NiCo2O4 core–shell structures for high energy density supercapacitor and enzyme-free glucose sensor. Nanotechnology, 32 (50), 505710. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ac2764
- Shi, M., Zhao, M., Jiao, L., Su, Z., Li, M., Song, X. (2021). Novel Mo-doped nickel sulfide thin sheets decorated with Ni–Co layered double hydroxide sheets as an advanced electrode for aqueous asymmetric super-capacitor battery. Journal of Power Sources, 509, 230333. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2021.230333
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2019). Non-Metallic Films Electroplating on the Low-Conductivity Substrates: The Conscious Selection of Conditions Using Ni(OH)2 Deposition as an Example. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 166 (10), D395–D408. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0561910jes
- Wang, W., Li, Z., Yu, Z., Su, G. (2021). The stabilization of Ni(OH)2 by In2O3 rods and the electrochromic performance of Ni(OH)2/In2O3-rod composite porous film. Thin Solid Films, 734, 138839. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2021.138839
- Cibrev, D., Jankulovska, M., Lana-Villarreal, T., Gómez, R. (2014). Potentiostatic Reversible Photoelectrochromism: An Effect Appearing in Nanoporous TiO2/Ni(OH)2 Thin Films. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6 (13), 10304–10312. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/am5017396
- Fleischmann, M., Korinek, K., Pletcher, D. (1972). The oxidation of hydrazine at a nickel anode in alkaline solution. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Interfacial Electrochemistry, 34 (2), 499–503. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-0728(72)80425-x
- Wang, H., Lu, L., Subramanian, P., Ji, S., Kannan, P. (2021). Co, Fe-ions intercalated Ni(OH)2 network-like nanosheet arrays as highly efficient non-noble catalyst for electro-oxidation of urea. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46 (69), 34318–34332. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2021.08.022
- Ganesh, V., Farzana, S., Berchmans, S. (2011). Nickel hydroxide deposited indium tin oxide electrodes as electrocatalysts for direct oxidation of carbohydrates in alkaline medium. Journal of Power Sources, 196 (23), 9890–9899. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2011.08.031
- Ganesh, V., Latha Maheswari, D., Berchmans, S. (2011). Electrochemical behaviour of metal hexacyanoferrate converted to metal hydroxide films immobilized on indium tin oxide electrodes—Catalytic ability towards alcohol oxidation in alkaline medium. Electrochimica Acta, 56 (3), 1197–1207. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2010.11.015
- Shang, K., Zhu, J., Meng, X., Cheng, Z., Ai, S. (2012). Multifunctional Fe3O4 core/Ni–Al layered double hydroxides shell nanospheres as labels for ultrasensitive electrochemical immunoassay of subgroup J of avian leukosis virus. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 37 (1), 107–111. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2012.04.035
- Guo, X., Deng, H., Fu, Q. (2020). An unusual decrease in dielectric constant due to the addition of nickel hydroxide into silicone rubber. Composites Part B: Engineering, 193, 108006. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2020.108006
- Jayashree, R. S., Kamath, P. V. (2001). Nickel hydroxide electrodeposition from nickel nitrate solutions: mechanistic studies. Journal of Power Sources, 93 (1-2), 273–278. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0378-7753(00)00568-1
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Kovalenko, P. V., Solovov, V. A., Deabate, S., Mehdi, A. et. al. (2017). Advanced electrochromic Ni(OH)2/PVA films formed by electrochemical template synthesis. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 12 (13), 3962–3977. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318452605_Advanced_electrochromic_NiOh2PVA_films_formed_by_electrochemical_template_synthesis
- Hall, D. S., Lockwood, D. J., Poirier, S., Bock, C., MacDougall, B. R. (2012). Raman and Infrared Spectroscopy of α and β Phases of Thin Nickel Hydroxide Films Electrochemically Formed on Nickel. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 116 (25), 6771–6784. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/jp303546r
- Tan, Y., Srinivasan, S., Choi, K.-S. (2005). Electrochemical Deposition of Mesoporous Nickel Hydroxide Films from Dilute Surfactant Solutions. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127 (10), 3596–3604. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja0434329
- Fu, G., Hu, Z., Xie, L. et. al. (2009). Electrodeposition of nickel hydroxide films on nickel foil and its electrochemical performances for supercapacitor. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 4 (8), 1052–1062. Available at: http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol4/4081052.pdf
- Kim, G.-B., Ganesh Kumar, V., Bae, S.-W., Lee, J.-S. (2006). Contraction of Alpha-nickel Hydroxide Layers by Excess Coulombic Attraction of Anions. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, 50 (2), 141–152. doi: https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2006.50.2.141
- Jayashree, R. S., Vishnu Kamath, P. (1999). Factors governing the electrochemical synthesis of α-nickel (II) hydroxide. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 29, 449–454. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1003493711239
- Mortimer, R. J., Sialvi, M. Z., Varley, T. S., Wilcox, G. D. (2014). An in situ colorimetric measurement study of electrochromism in the thin-film nickel hydroxide/oxyhydroxide system. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 18 (12), 3359–3367. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-014-2618-5
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The properties investigation of the faradaic supercapacitor electrode formed on foamed nickel substrate with polyvinyl alcohol using. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (12 (88)), 31–37. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.108839
- Kotok, V. A., Malyshev, V. V., Solovov, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L. (2017). Soft Electrochemical Etching of FTO-Coated Glass for Use in Ni(OH)2-Based Electrochromic Devices. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 6 (12), P772–P777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0071712jss
- Kalu, E. E., Nwoga, T. T., Srinivasan, V., Weidner, J. W. (2001). Cyclic voltammetric studies of the effects of time and temperature on the capacitance of electrochemically deposited nickel hydroxide. Journal of Power Sources, 92 (1-2), 163–167. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0378-7753(00)00520-6
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2017). The electrochemical cathodic template synthesis of nickel hydroxide thin films for electrochromic devices: role of temperature. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (11 (86)), 28–34. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.97371
- Kotok, V. A., Kovalenko, V. L., Zima, A. S., Kirillova, E. A. Burkov, A. A., Kobylinska, N. G. et. al. (2019). Optimization of electrolyte composition for the cathodic template deposition of Ni(OH)2-based electrochromic films on FTO glass. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14 (2), 344–353. Available at: http://www.arpnjournals.org/jeas/research_papers/rp_2019/jeas_0119_7562.pdf
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V. (2019). Optimization of the deposition conditions for Ni(OH)2 films for electrochromic elements of “smart” windows. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 2 (5 (98)), 35–40. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2019.162572
- Hall, D. S., Bock, C., MacDougall, B. R. (2013). The Electrochemistry of Metallic Nickel: Oxides, Hydroxides, Hydrides and Alkaline Hydrogen Evolution. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 160 (3), F235–F243. doi: https://doi.org/10.1149/2.026303jes
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Nafeev, R., Verbitskiy, V., Melnyk, O., Plaksiienko, I. et. al. (2021). A study of physico-chemical characteristics of electrochromic Ni(OH)2-PVA films on fto glass with different deposition duration. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5 (12 (113)), 39–46. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.242853
- Kotok, V., Kovalenko, V., Nafeev, R., Verbitskiy, V., Lominoga, E., Melnyk, O. et. al. (2021). Determination of the effect of exposure conducted in KOH solutions at different temperatures on the properties of electrochromic Ni(OH)2-PVA films. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 4 (6 (112)), 60–66. doi: https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2021.239151
- Liu, A., Zhu, Y., Li, K., Chu, D., Huang, J., Li, X. et. al. (2018). A high performance p-type nickel oxide/cuprous oxide nanocomposite with heterojunction as the photocathodic catalyst for water splitting to produce hydrogen. Chemical Physics Letters, 703, 56–62. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cplett.2018.05.020
- Berezovska, I. S., Yanishpolskii, V. V., Tertykh, V. A., Burmistr, M. V., Sukhyy, K. M. (2006). Role of ionene in composition of porous structure of template-synthesized silicas. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 86 (1), 93–96. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-006-7579-1
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Valerii Kotok, Vadym Kovalenko, Rovil Nafeev, Volodymyr Verbitskiy, Olena Melnyk, Iryna Plaksiienko, Igor Kovalenko, Viktoriia Stoliarenko, Valerii Plaksiienko, Iryna Zamrii
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The consolidation and conditions for the transfer of copyright (identification of authorship) is carried out in the License Agreement. In particular, the authors reserve the right to the authorship of their manuscript and transfer the first publication of this work to the journal under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY license. At the same time, they have the right to conclude on their own additional agreements concerning the non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal, but provided that the link to the first publication of the article in this journal is preserved.
A license agreement is a document in which the author warrants that he/she owns all copyright for the work (manuscript, article, etc.).
The authors, signing the License Agreement with PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER, have all rights to the further use of their work, provided that they link to our edition in which the work was published.
According to the terms of the License Agreement, the Publisher PC TECHNOLOGY CENTER does not take away your copyrights and receives permission from the authors to use and dissemination of the publication through the world's scientific resources (own electronic resources, scientometric databases, repositories, libraries, etc.).
In the absence of a signed License Agreement or in the absence of this agreement of identifiers allowing to identify the identity of the author, the editors have no right to work with the manuscript.
It is important to remember that there is another type of agreement between authors and publishers – when copyright is transferred from the authors to the publisher. In this case, the authors lose ownership of their work and may not use it in any way.